Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys heres whats goin on- i recently inherited an almost untouched 1987 NA Supra (manual trans). Its not turbo but im getting it 100% free so im not complaining really. The car has been taken to a mechanic and now runs fine. I'm considering either somehow putting in a turbo or i could buy an after-market exhaust system. Both will cost me alot but then again i didnt even pay for the supra ;) . BTW im not selling my just inherited car as it would be not-so-courteous.

·
Beat the hell outta tu!!
1,061 Posts
My advice... suspension and brakes! It's tough to make an N/A Supra fast without doing a 7M-GTE swap. Unless you are very mechanically inclined, turboing an N/A CAN be a difficult process.

However, if you completely upgrade your suspension and improve a little on the stock brakes you will have a car that handles very well and is so much more fun to drive! Suspension mods have been some of my most favorite mods because of how different the car feels after they are done. Do that and you will have a car that you can autocross and have fun in. It won't be the fastest thing out there, but you'll definately have a blast driving it.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
an exhaust is like 300 bucks, while a turbo setup is a lot more... this... Just grab a stock turbo catback off someone and use it, its 2.5 mandrel so its as good as any exhaust you can buy...

Ang

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
well,

id say exhaust, its an NA so 2.5 straight no cats should be nice.
if you have the money go for the HKS or greddy, the others are just way to big for the NA, IMO.

if you decide to go NA-T you can still use the exhaust 2.5. since it will give you enough restriction so u wont over boost and BOOM.

if you decide to go GTE then by all means go 3".

im not sure what u meant by adding a turbo, so im asuming NA-T

heres what i would do.

by an exhaust 3" (non custom 3" crush bent Piece of Shit for $50 garbage) then throw the cat in the garbage and install a 2" test pipe. it will give you the right balance, so u wont loose to much torque, then when you decide to go NA-t you can get a 2.5 testpipe, or GTE a 3" test pipe.

good luck

W

·
0 Posts
dude... get ahold of drjonez.. he lives in the detriot area... he does turbo swaps all the time... he is your man.. dont waste your time with the n/a.. its a waste of time and money...

·
Registered
948 Posts
yeah
go straight to the 7mgte or 1jz

N

·
0 Posts
SuprAng said:
an exhaust is like 300 bucks, while a turbo setup is a lot more... this... Just grab a stock turbo catback off someone and use it, its 2.5 mandrel so its as good as any exhaust you can buy...

Ang
thats not exactly true, my friend has a 86.5 NA and had a wrecked 89 turbo and he said the stock exhaust on the 86.5 was much more free flowing than the 89 exhaust.

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
I paid a total of 2300 to do my turbo swap. That includes all expenses; the engine, MHG, machine work, misc parts etc. It doesn’t include the cost of the turbo parts car that I used for most of the swap parts I needed. But, it paid for it self after parting out the rest of the car.

I did all of the work myself, if you have to have someone else do it, it will be at least twice as much. In addition, If you have to buy the swap parts separately (ECU, Harness, Intercooler etc...) factor in at least another $750.

If you have some mechanical inclination and a desire to learn, its not that hard to do. If another knowledgeable supra owner lives nearby, they can be an invaluable asset.

On a side note, if you do go turbo, you have to get exhaust. I used the stock NA exhaust on the turbo motor for about 2 weeks and it sucked. The cars power would seriously top out at 4k. Needless to say, I got rid of that ASAP.

S

·
0 Posts
Why not just keep it stock, and enjoy it. In the meantime save up for a turbo car or go out drinking or something. :)

If you need to spend money, don't worry, something will crap out sooner or later that you'll have to fix.

How is the head gasket on the thing?

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
take the $1000+ that you'll spend on a MHG for your NA and put it into savings for a turbo swap or turbo car...

B

·
0 Posts
ask Dr Jonez about the exhaust hes selling for CHEAP, hes located very near you.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
cough i have one for sale PM me Cough
Man, this cold i have sucks:p

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
1987mk3supraaa said:
:eek: are you serious that much?
if you do it yourself, maybe not, but if you get a shop to do it, yup...

for an NA, id suggest getting a new stock HG and some ARP bolts, buy a TSRM and do it yourself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts