Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
"Its got a handle"
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This winter I decided to try and fix a couple issues with the car that I really didn't like; interior rattles, road noise, and heat off the transmission tunnel. By no means is my intent to create a Lexus type environment, but with crappy roads, coilovers, lowering, and wide 18" tires the road noise has become obnoxious. Here is my story.

The car:

Last Years ITS 60-1
1998 Toyota Supra 6-Speed (as of 3/5/08)

Engine Bay:
Garrett GT-4088R turbo
HKS Exhaust Manifold
HKS GT Wastegate
PHR 3" Downpipe
PHR Intake
ETS 3 Row Intercooler
RREV Motorsports 1000 cc Fuel System w/ Dual Denso Pumps
Titan Motorsports Line Lock
TRD Strut Bar
MVP Motorsports Cooling Plate
MVP Turbo Blanket

Transmission:
Stock
RPS Carbon-Carbon Twin Disk Clutch w/ extra rattle

Electronics:
HKS F-Con V-Pro Engine Management
Blitz SBC-iD Boost Controller
Blitz Turbo Timer

Performance:
Veilside TI Exhaust

Suspension:
HKS Hypermax Rs Coilovers

Wheels & Tires:
HRE 545's 18x10 and 18x9
BF Goodrich KDW2's

Exterior:
Stock

Interior:
TRD 10k Tachometer
AEM Wide band
Pioneer AVIC-D3 Stereo w/ IPod

The Demolition:

The Dynomat pictured in the hatch area was installed a few years ago in an attempt to eliminate some road noise. It did little if anything.

Products: Second Skin Audio (Thanks for all the help)
Damplifier
Overkill
Overkill Pro
Heat Wave
Rattle Pad

The Transmission Tunnel
Products: Damplifier & Heat Wave

One layer of Damplifier and Heat Wave.

Completed

The Floor Pan
Products: Damplifier, Overkill, & Overkill Pro

Damplifer

Damplifer II

First Layer Overkill Pro

Second Layer Overkill Pro

Third Layer Overkill

Complete

The Back Seat
Products: Existing Dynamat, Damplifer, Overkill, and Overkill Pro in wheel wells

Seat Pan w/ Damplifier and Dynamat

·
"Its got a handle"
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Seat Pan w/ Overkill

Rear Seat waterfall w/ Overkill and Dynamat

Dynamat Extreme and Overkill

Complete

Rear Wheel Wells (I believe the brake ducts are a big contributer of road noise)
Products: Damplifier and Overkill Pro

Damplifier (note the thin rubber brake duct)

Overkill Pro over Wheel Well and Brake Duct
Accessing the rear portion of the wheel wells is tough. I installed 2" Damplifer strips where possible.

Roof and Pillars
Products: Damplifier, Overkill, Rattle Pad and felt strips

Damplifier and felt strips. One layer of Rattle Pad was installed inside the interior plastic trim.

Damplifier at roof. One layer of Overkill was installed on the back of the headliner.

Targa. Damplifier, Overkill Pro, small piece of Rattle Pad at center latch. A piece of Overkill was installed on the back of the headliner.

Adhesive felt at Targa latch spring.

Hatch Area (Not quite complete)
Products: Damplifier and Overkill Pro

Hatch door received Dynamat Extreme and Rattle Pad on the interior plastic.

Front Wheel Wells
Products: Damplifier

Damplifier applied to the inside of the inter fender.

·
"Its got a handle"
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The Doors
Products: Damplifier and Overkill

Demo

Damplifer. Strips were installed behind the inter structure.

Overkill on door panel

This was a lot of work. I have not been able to drive the car much and still have a little work to do to complete the hatch area. Was it worth it? So far I would say yes and no. It has helped. I love the solid feel of the doors and being able to talk on the cell phone while on the freeway.
Let me know if you have any questions

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
100lbs easy. I used to be big into sound audio stuff and have delt with Anthony from Second Skin from the start. Great product and much better bang for the buck that all of the others out there. Looks good and your going to like how much noise it reduces.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nice work, how much sheets of each product did you order and use and after all that why not remove the dash and put some behind there. Nice job

·
Registered
997 Posts
i remember doing a mustang in the black dynamate and it would smell in the heat of the summer like bad rubber. do you have the problem?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Very nice! So whats the final result? Nothing wrong with a Lexus type enviroment.:)

·
"Its got a handle"
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
First, material quantity and added weight:
Damplifier 70sf x .40lbs -5% waste =26.6lbs
Rattle Pad 18sf x .079lbs -10% waste =1.27lbs
Overkill 81sf x .13lbs - 15% waste = 8.95lbs
Overkill Pro 41sf x .17lbs - 15% waste = 6.67lbs
Heat Wave 9 sf x .25lbs - 15% waste = 1.91lbs
TOTAL 45.4 lbs

Existing Dynamat (estimate) 8-9lbs

Maybe I will remove the spare tire, jack, wrench, and talk the girlfriend into loosing 10 lbs.

chnco, Thanks for the kind words. It has added weight but not 100 lbs. There is nothing light about a Supra. The car has been lightened a little by some of the mods like; single turbo, exhaust, coilovers, lw flywheel. This is not a drag car, auto-x car, road race car, audio showcase, or show car. It is somewhere in between and yes it is a trade off.

Smokey1226, I used the lightest products that Second Skin offered, and they are good products.

nyboostaholic, See above for material used. Someday the dash will come out, but I didn't have enough time, plus Toyota did an okay job on the firewall.

2jzrx7, Yes I have the same problem and will not use it again. The standard Dynamat seems to gas a little when hot.

twojayzed, The car is no where near a Camry, I love to hear the engine and exhaust.

scotturnot, Thanks! Nice Lexus BTW. They spend a lot more time on quiet comfort than the old Toyotas got. The results are a little mixed and not final because I still need to finish the hatch area. I say mixed because first of all my car is pretty loud, and second, the amount of work and blood loss put into this project was extensive. Has it met my goals of minimizing road noise? Maybe, it is a little early to tell, but it has helped.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I did my rear hatch area in dynamat and didnt notice much help at all. Sound quaility did improve and I did locate some rattles etc that were reparied.

I was considering doing the floors etc this winter, but now Im glad I didnt.

Your work looks super neat, very impressive.

BP

·
Terrorfiend
206 Posts
Really nice job!!!

My car was noise dampened by a professional audio shop in spring 2007. Since I'm an audiophile and wanted it done properly, the car gained 260 pounds. Now I'm thinking I should remove some of it. Breaking distance is a joke now.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Nice job with the install!!!! if it's not prying too much, about how much did you pay for all of the product and was that a "hook-up"??? Is there a reason you did the door panels and not the inside door shell???is there an advantage to that????

I love the weight savings idea...although if I asked my girl to lose 10 I'm sure I'de lose all 115 instead!!!

·
"Its got a handle"
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bpalmer21, I agree that just doing the hatch is beneficial for car audio. Fixing those rattles is a good thing too. If you do plan on doing the floor, set aside plenty of time for the project. Thanks for the kind words!

elari20, Thank you! The work on my car is nothing like a professional job that would have been done to your car. They would have sealed, covered and foamed everything, I let some of that stuff go. The Supra is a challenging platform for an audiophile, to do properly it would take 260lbs of materials and a Mercedes Benz Engineer. :)

mine4118, Thanks! I made many small orders trying to figure out what materials to use and have not totaled them up. I did not have a "hook up", but selected Second Skin because of their product selection. For the doors (keep in mind I probably know less about this that you) I decided to use Damplifier on the outer skin, Damplifier strips behind the inter structure and Overkill on the interior panel. A professional job like done on elari's car would have sealed the door, I was not willing to add the weight. I recommend you keep the 115 lbs. :)

·
Stock Twins King
4,373 Posts
Man...don't tell Theodore about this,,,he'd go crazy~! lol~

You make it look so professional. Have you done this before? Very well done, and I would agree that this must have taken hours. You will have to let us know where you gained the most reduction. I get a lot of general freeway noise specially on concrete freeways. The "sones" levels must be real high cause It is hard to have a conversation sometimes.

I wonder If I did just the floor areas if that would create the most road noise reduction? How much noise comes up through the wheel liners do you think? Never thought of wrapping the inside of those. Doing the doors is pretty good idea. I wouldnt think tho that the roof would help that much??

I would love to take a ride in your car if your done in time for the May meet coming up.

Stu

·
Blackzilla
1,579 Posts
How much did the materials cost? Thats a clean install. How long did it take you to mock everything up, cut it out and install it?

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
wow great install, detailed pics, looks like it took a while but I'd love if the car was a bit quieter on the highway when cruising, i'm a big fan of lexus as well. 100 pounds is nothing considering the HP we have! good writeup

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I did the inside of one of my cars with a product called "Quietcoat". I was skeptical of their claims, but by doing the trunk area, doors, and undercoating the car with it (you can spray it on) I had a reduction in 11dB in interior sound at a penalty of about 40 lbs. Not sure if the company is in business anymore though...

·
Custom User Title
974 Posts
Thats awesome. Let us know what you think once you get the hatch area finished. Also, do you have the under-hood insulation still? And did you do much near the front-seat footwells (the sides below the dash)?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
About this Discussion
71 Replies
50 Participants
sparkboy
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing