Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After showing the pictures of my SBC clutch to Andy of SouthBend Clutch here is what he said: "There was a batch of buttons that were not bonded properly and fell off when the clutch heated up. We have warranted all of those who had this problem. If this is the case, Please send your clutch and disc to me, and I will replace them."

My clutch set is being replaced by SouthBend!!! YEAH for SouthBend Clutch...

I still have faith in this SouthBend Clutch and there is no doubt it is the smoothest operating clutch for Supras making under 650RWHP bar none!!! If you want a clutch that is near the feeling of the stock Supra clutch and your car is within this HP range you can't go wrong using this clutch. I have chosen to use the disc with Kevlar on both sides instead of the 6 button dual material clutch and it should give much longer life for my more normal kind of driving. To Those of you who are more into drag racing I think I would recommend the Ferramic disc.

Right now I am using the the SouthBend Pressure Plate that was in my car when I had the problems with this clutch but with a brand new Toyota Supra disc under it and it seems to be working well (the surface of that pressure plate still was smooth but it had been pretty warm as I could tell by the color). I have no idea how long it will hold my power and how long it will last but I am going to use it until I have probemes with it before I put the new ones in it that SouthBend Clutch is sending me.

Thank you Andy and SouthBend Clutch for standing behind your product...

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I changed flywheels. I put in one I had that JimJr gave me sometime back that had a good smooth surface. I will be resurfacing the flywheel that I took out when I had the clutch problems... Everyone should be aware that the surface of the flywheel will wear if one is using a metalic or ceramic or feramic clutch material and as far as that goes if you use the metalic or ceramic or feramic material on the pressure plate side you will wear the surface of the pressure plate too. One of the reasons I am going to the Kevlar on both sides of the disc is to get less wear on the flywheel and pressure plate surfaces and longer clutch disc life. With the disc I will be using it will not grip as good as the 6 puck dual material disc or the feramic disc but of course I don't plan on doing any drag strip drag racing. I might make a few pulls on the street though...haha...

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,923 Posts
good to hear! maybe I'll have to go that route if my stocker ever goes out :)

·
Member Thingy
1,119 Posts
Good to hear, as I have this clutch now as well. Southbend seems to be a stand-up company, and thus far with the exception of your failure Jim, has created a great product.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I currently have been running this clutch for about 4 days now and i love it, im still in the break in period for another 250 miles but so far it works great. Soft pedal pressure, very much like stock and it feels like it will be very slippable once fully broken in.

Great to hear southbend is working with you on the clutch Jimsr. :)

-Brian

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spoolin S T 95 said:
I currently have been running this clutch for about 4 days now and i love it, im still in the break in period for another 250 miles but so far it works great. Soft pedal pressure, very much like stock and it feels like it will be very slippable once fully broken in.

Great to hear southbend is working with you on the clutch Jimsr. :)

-Brian
Glad you are enjoying your clutch Bryon. As I have said before I think it is a great clutch for those making 650RWHP or less.

The problem with the disc material not bonding perfectly to the metal was something that happened sometime back like a year or more ago. So if one purchased their clutch recently they should not have the problem that I experienced with a clutch that I purchased in December of 2003

·
Stock on the outside
200 Posts
I had a SBC DXD in my 85 5MGTE. Granted we are talkin a little lower power output (271whp) but it was a great clutch.

·
Member Thingy
1,119 Posts
Well, i'm putting the southbend in tonight - wish me luck that it holds the monster power of the new turbo that's accompanying it. muhuahaha.

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kale said:
Well, i'm putting the southbend in tonight - wish me luck that it holds the monster power of the new turbo that's accompanying it. muhuahaha.
Okay Chris I wish you luck with your install. Your the only guy I know who has gone from a bigger turbo to a smaller one other than SteveT. But we have come to expect the unexpected out of StevieWonder...haha... He's alright I don't care what his wife says about him.

Chris let us know when you are out there spinning the tires off of your car???

·
Member Thingy
1,119 Posts
93dawg said:
Okay Chris I wish you luck with your install. Your the only guy I know who has gone from a bigger turbo to a smaller one other than SteveT. But we have come to expect the unexpected out of StevieWonder...haha... He's alright I don't care what his wife says about him.

Chris let us know when you are out there spinning the tires off of your car???
If the turbo downgrade surprised you just wait till you hear about the kind of clutch i'm downgrading from :)

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
...and I get all of kale's "leftovers". Woohoo!

As for you OLDDAWG, you're probably right about my wife! Yikes! ;)

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kale said:
If the turbo downgrade surprised you just wait till you hear about the kind of clutch i'm downgrading from :)
Yeah Chris tell me about that maneuver too will you please...haha... By the way did you get your clutch in last night???

·
Member Thingy
1,119 Posts
Yup, I spent a weekend non-stop working on the car. Finished the new turbo, intercooler, brakes, wastegate dump(to the back) new gauges, new interior black carpet, seats, redid all the wiring, vacuum hoses, modified the radiator, moved the a/c condensor, built new trays to house my new HIDs, new ductwork for the intercooler, airdam, new engine undertray, bumper supports, tires, clutch, etc. etc.

Needless to say i'm pooped. But the car drives like a dream now. I haven't been into full boost yet as I'm still breaking in the clutch, but I have a feeling i'm hitting full boost around low to mid 3000's. I'm excited.

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kale said:
Yup, I spent a weekend non-stop working on the car. Finished the new turbo, intercooler, brakes, wastegate dump(to the back) new gauges, new interior black carpet, seats, redid all the wiring, vacuum hoses, modified the radiator, moved the a/c condensor, built new trays to house my new HIDs, new ductwork for the intercooler, airdam, new engine undertray, bumper supports, tires, clutch, etc. etc.

Needless to say i'm pooped. But the car drives like a dream now. I haven't been into full boost yet as I'm still breaking in the clutch, but I have a feeling i'm hitting full boost around low to mid 3000's. I'm excited.
You did all of that over the weekend. That soundsl like about a months work for this olddawg...

Did you take your carpet out when you dyed it? I am assuning you dyed it because I thought I read that someplace else. Did you change colors of your seats or did you get a black set somewhere? I had been thinking of making mine all black as far as the seats and the carpet goes too... But like most everything else I think a lot and don't do much...haha...

Now that you have it running you had better cruise up to the Longview/Kelso area and we can get together and have some of the best PIZZA in the world at Bruno's Pizza... Maybe we should have a Meet, Greet & Eat one day soon and all have Pizza at Bruno's Pizza in Longview.

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
Some really nice memories from this thread, back in the day of chatting with OLDDAWG and also kale. Good times! :bigthumb:

·
Swing on deezz!!!
2,155 Posts
I was hoping that I'd hear the latest on the Olddawg's most current South Bend clutch combination I installed earlier this year. Alas...I guess I'll have to go have pizza with him in order to find out.

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,715 Posts
I wanna pull some transmissions.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts