Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY starter. . .is it going out?. . .or is it someting else?,. . .here is what it is doing. . .when i go out to start it up after sitting for a while, i turn the key to start it and the "tick" (from under the hood ya know) (and yes, my battery is brand new) and nothing happenes. . .so , i turn the key all the way back to off and then hit it again, and it starts right up. After i drive it for a while, and then shut her down and come back like 5 min later, it starts right up. . .is this my starter or something else???-----thanks for the help------

·
Registered
658 Posts
yes, I had the same problem and replaced the starter. If your handy they can be rebuilt ( no don't ask me for the tech details sorry) A new starter for the supra is something like 500. a reconditioned with a core cost me 325. i wish I knew about rebuilding one before I committed to this but I needed the car...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dzeiler said:
yes, I had the same problem and replaced the starter. If your handy they can be rebuilt ( no don't ask me for the tech details sorry) A new starter for the supra is something like 500. a reconditioned with a core cost me 325. i wish I knew about rebuilding one before I committed to this but I needed the car...
did you do it yourself? or have it done?.. .if you did it yourself, how hard was it?. . .or, anyone?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try doing a search. It has been dicussed before. I don't remember the details but you should be able to purchase a rebuild kit from Toyota. Someone said that the dealers will say it doesn't exist but it does. I believe the rebuild should be covered in the repair manual. I don't think it should be hard at all, a starter is a pretty simple device. Getting it out of the car is probably the hard part.

Kragen car test your starter but it can sometimes make your starter look good when it is bad. But if it doesn't trigger correctly thats a very good clue.

I'm not 100% sure you have a starter issue, if it consistently takes only 2 tries to start the car when cold. It may be an electrical system issue like a relay. Although there is a good chance the relay is contained inside of the starter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts