Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
SUPRAfied
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I was looking for something along the lines of a Porsche 911, or BMW 335, but decided I really wanted a bike instead... being I can't ride in the winter here, I found this killer deal of a beater and snatched it up for a cool $1500... I've been saying I want another project... I've been pretty busy with fixing the fucked up wiring, next I'll start tackling the mess of vacuum lines.

I just picked up my 2nd DSM, a 95 GST. My first was a 97 GST Spyder which I owned back in 2001 or so.

I've been working on making it nice again. When I bought it, someone hacked the hell out of the center console wiring, so my stereo, cigarette lighter, door locks, and center console lights didn't work. I got that all in order, although my door locks still dont work, neither do the foot well or dome lights.

The car is in overall pretty decent shape, I need to line up some body panels up in the front, I'm almost certain this was in an accident as both front fenders are new, and the passenger door is not the original from the car. but everything run's straight so far, so I'm not to worried about it.

I'd hate to admit, but I did order some eBay headlights, I just don't like the stock, and wanted black chrome housings... eBay was much cheaper than ordering stock black housings from Mitsu.

Overall I'm going to pretty much keep this as stock as possible, with a few minor appearance upgrades (like 97+ front bumper, new suspension, and different wheels), and I'm throwing out the idea of buying a 1g engine and slowly building it up to a rock solid beast to hopefully push a mild 300hp.

So here are some pictures of the car, I'm slowly getting it to look better, headlights are polished up, windows are tinted, and thats about it.

this is the center console wiring when I got it

I got a new reverse harness, and started putting things together, I ripped out the stock amp and ran the wires I needed, and the rest of the harness is awaiting deletion

headlights before polishing

·
SUPRAfied
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm usually pretty good at taking pix before I tear into things, but This was such a mess I just started going to town. The stereo was a cheap $35 JVC that was just kinda in there... there was a little pocket under it that kept falling out.

If you notice the side markers are gone... I took them out to discover the plugs and wires are nowhere to be found, so I ordered nice shiny new ones, and will be running new wires for them. I'll post some pix of how perty the interior is now with a stereo that works how it should, and is installed correctly, lol.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
I had a 1G DSM 2 winters ago and it was a blast. I want another 1G.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Why would you buy a car in FWD when it comes in AWD?

·
SUPRAfied
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Winter beater and u got fwd? Fail.
Ultra fast? Fail
Not really ricey to me. Fail
Def not ultra cool. Fail
-FWD still > RWD
-Id thought people might get the irony in the title, its a stock DSM only running 9psi right now since someone in the past fucked all the vacuum lines under the hood
-Many people rice these things out, you see more riced than non-riced, my title was nothing more than a joke
-once again, I put up 3 things in the title that aren't true, and one that is... This thing is nothing more than a DSM with a squeeling belt and something loose by the front driver wheel

Why would you buy a car in FWD when it comes in AWD?
because the price was right, and AWD isn't that much greater, just more shit to break... it's a DSM, and shit will break

·
Banned
209 Posts
AWD doesn't just break, you need to be making a lot of power and abusing the car to break stuff. Shit breaks on those cars because people are hacks.

I bought one of the most recognized cars in the mitsu community (by the old timers) and the car was a complete joke, I'm finding stuff on it that looks like a blind 5th grader did the work.

Those early turbo mitsus are great cars in knowledgable hands and if you keep up on maintenance. If you are a two-bit hack, a cheap mofo that short cuts everything in the name of saving money, which most dsmers are, then you can expect to live a nightmare with a dsm/turbo mitsu.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
AWD doesn't just break, you need to be making a lot of power and abusing the car to break stuff. Shit breaks on those cars because people are hacks.

I bought one of the most recognized cars in the mitsu community (by the old timers) and the car was a complete joke, I'm finding stuff on it that looks like a blind 5th grader did the work.

Those early turbo mitsus are great cars in knowledgable hands and if you keep up on maintenance. If you are a two-bit hack, a cheap mofo that short cuts everything in the name of saving money, which most dsmers are, then you can expect to live a nightmare with a dsm/turbo mitsu.
The truth has been spoken.

·
SUPRAfied
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

well, unfortunately, this is one of those cars that got fucked by some cheap bastard, doing as many "free mods" as possible. Now i get to go through and make it stock as possible so it doesn't break on me.

FWD DSM's SUCK

Trust me on this.
so, will an awd do a better job of keeping the snow off my body? didn't think so... FWD will be fine.

I love this forum because nothing is ever good enough... got a NT? shoulda got a turbo. got a turbo? should have got AWD. Got an AWD turbo DSM pushing 360bhp?!? eeh, should have got a NA supra... etc.

plain and simple, i got this piece of shit because it was cheap as hell, the body is in decent shape, and it runs... I don't care if i was an NA FWD DSM, i would have bought it.... being a GST is just a bonus.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
My talon despised snow the entire time I had it, the awd would have been way better in NE Indiana winters. I can only imagine those in Wisconsin are worse. I had my FWD for almost 12 years and I'm currently parting it out. Trust me when I saw fwd + horsepower = suck.

·
SUPRAfied
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if it counts for anything I'm only running wastegate pressure right now since whoever hacked the fuck out of the vacuum lines just ran the shit straight from the turbo to the wastegate.... looks like they tried to bypass all of the emissions, but did a really shitty job of it.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Fwd works fine for me. I'm in Indiana and see some decent snow every year as well. I have some decent snow tires on the stock wheels for winter time and never had a bit of trouble in my Stealth. Of the few VR4 and TT guys that do drive theirs in the snow, from what i've heard, It's not all it's cracked up to be.

·
SUPRAfied
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm gonna be picking up winter tires this week... I dont like the wheels on it now, so I'll be using these as winter wheels with good snow tires (I'm surprised they make winter wheels in the size that's on there), in the spring I'll pick up some wheels that look a little nicer and don't look so out of place, I'll either go with an all black and polished lip, or just brushed aluminum.

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
fwd + horsepower = suck.
I thought this was well known FACTS? if its not true a simple turbo civics would be quick.

Its easy to make power but getting it to the ground is another story. especially in FWD

AWD > RWD > FWD

thats why i just got 1G eagle talon for $300 TURBO AWD lol

motors not so good. i was actually about to post about it. lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts