Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having battery problems for a while now, I think I fixed one problem of getting charge from the alternator to the battery by replacing the alternator. But now I notice my voltage cannot get up to 13 volts with headlighs off. But the weirder thing is that I can start my Supra if I immediately turn my ignition on, but if I just leave the key to the on position (where the car is not on but electricity is flowing) for a few seconds the car will not start. The only sure way to start my car at any time is to turn on my headlights before i give it ignition. Does anyone know what's going on? Are there terrorists in my electrical system?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:

After turning the car on using the method of turning the headlights on first, I noticed that while the engine is running, when I turn off the headlights the engine would stop running.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another Update:

Today, after many unsuccessful attempts to find the source of my problems, I noticed that with the ignition on and the head lights off I can hear what sounds like my fuel pump, but when I turn on my headlights the pumping noise goes away...

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
you have some wires crossed or something...you need to find out what you are missing when the car WONT start. Put it in the same situation with the headlights off or whatnot so it does not start and then first test spark, then test fuel...find out what it is not getting.

you are going to need eletrical diagrams unless you recently just installed something...my bet is a wire is connected to the wrong place or a wire got frayed. Have you installed anything lately that taps into your eletrical system? However, first tell me whether the car lacks fuel presure or spark when it WONT start...then we go from there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The starter won't budge when I'm trying to start the car with the headlights off and I'm getting electricity to almost every thing that needs electricity, so fuel and spark tests cannot be taken nor are they needed. It has something to do with my headlights and a starter kill feature from the alarm i had indtalled. I took my car to a Stereo-Alarm dealership so they can take out the alarm and they told me it might be a killswitch. I don't understand how a killswitch snuck into my damn car in the first place, but yeah. I went home and took out my stereo and turbo timer and I looked for any irregularities and found nothing...I'm starting to lose hope, I have been trying to fix this minor electrical problem before I sell it, now it seems that I'm going to have to sell it to someone who'd wanna fix it.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If there are any Supra shops near you, you may have to take it to them. You're way up in the north end of LA, so I don't know of anyone there, but there is a thread on shops in different areas you might check out. If you are going to sell the car, you don't want to give away money on something that may be a quick fix if the person knows what to look for.

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
lol why didnt you say you had an alarm in it previously...thats your problem...something wasnt removed right or is still there. A lot of alarms use a kill switch inline with the headlights that may explain it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts