Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahhhhhhhhhh....decisions decisions...
alright guys here the deal. I currently own a 93.5 MKIV Black Auto NA with an impressive 47,XXX miles. I am seventeen, in junior year in HIghschool. im thinking about the future and only doing the basic mod's to my NA. intake , exhaust, veiside sides and back panels w/a stillen front. and im gonna leave it like that.
I'm happy with my car and all, but im young and a TT is my dream caR. so heres where the choices come into play.
we bought the supra in march and its going to average about 9k miles a year. so were going to have it for a while. after college i plan on buying my tt...or getting the equivlent of it. i can either
1) save my money and go about making an NA-t in stages. work...save up...buy a piece here and there...and eventually put together an na-t. ( i will miss out on the heated seat, trac, and snow options of the TT.)
2) drive my NA till i blow the engine, save until then, and then do the costly TT engine swap.((i also dont get the tt goodies)
3) save up my cash...wait longer... and go out and buy myself a TT with moderate mileage, and go that route.

whats the call? how should i go about planning for the future? which seems like the best idea? i dotn know what to pick..even tho i do want a true tt...ive already got an na..so its a start for the first to...or just go buy a tt.
thanks for the help
Bob

S

·
0 Posts
ya Im 16 and I own a 93.5 MKIV White Auto NA with 408XX miles. So im in the same situation as you are. So I'll be wondering the same things. Well due to money I might just go with a turbo for my supra and nos. Heard DaveH's Car is 600hp from a turbo and nos. So I dun know... a TT can get much higher,but... a 600 hp car will do fine for me =)

Rob~

Well i mean I'd rather a 6spd 800rwhp+ TT , but... I dont know if I will ever make that much money until WAy on in life to get it. so who knows

R

·
0 Posts
You can always put a 6spd in your car. I've got a 94 NA auto and I've searched the board and if you have an auto ECU, a manual transmission will work fine in our cars, we'll just have to shift. I'm 16 and I'm thinking about what I want to do and most likely, since I'm getting a scholarship for football, I'll be able to some stuff while in college.

S

·
0 Posts
ya I might do that... but my dad *oddly* is looking for a TT for some reason lol guess hes just hooked on ebay. I'd love a 6-spd either way... In my NA or a 6spd TT! How much does that kinda operation cost?

Rob~

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
BlackSupra93 said:
1) save my money and go about making an NA-t in stages. work...save up...buy a piece here and there...and eventually put together an na-t. ( i will miss out on the heated seat, trac, and snow options of the TT.)
First of all.... snow!? Most TT's don't have heated seats and the trac is completely useless in the snow or dry.

Putting together an NA-T is tough. It's going to cost you a lot. Way more than if you just went out and bought a TT. It's a waste of money IMO. And you won't be able to do it with your current tranny. Plus, what if you want to sell it? No one will want it... they'll opt for the original TT.

BlackSupra93 said:
2) drive my NA till i blow the engine, save until then, and then do the costly TT engine swap.((i also dont get the tt goodies)
So you're going to drive your car 250k miles or more (if you take care of it), and spend upwards of $10,000 on a car worth less than that?

BlackSupra93 said:
3) save up my cash...wait longer... and go out and buy myself a TT with moderate mileage, and go that route.
There you go. Do that. And wait, wait, wait... take some advanced driving courses... and then wait some more.

Save your money dude. Or just buy an NA 5-speed. :D

I almost killed myself last year in my TT. I was 18 and bought the car when I was 17. (self-earned)

No matter how ready you think you are... trust me, you're not.

You guys are naive just like I was. But I'm lucky I'm still here to tell you that.

M

·
0 Posts
HOW THE F*CK do you guys only have 40-some K miles on your '93 cars? well... more power to ya.

as for the future... i just got out of college and i'm looking for a job. once my student loans are paid off, i can start saving for my TT (hopefully the MKV will be out by then)!! BUT, if i get married before then... an Avalon it is... haha jk

good luck, fellas

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ATTN: MKIV808

see,
even while your are going around point out reasons why not to turbo the NA...your proving my point. TRUE it is costly, TRUE people will prefer true TT's over NA-t. you say it'll cost more...but i already have the NA here, so in all likelyhood it wont cost 20,000 - 43,000 more to turbo it. my dad payed for it and left mods up to my own discretion. so it'll cost me between 3-10k for a kit..depending on the HP level i decide to go with. and TRUE not many people want na's so in your theory im stuck with it. ((no problem here :p )) So i have an na here... its gonna cost me alot to go and buy a TT , so i figure quench my need for speed by turboing my NA. so you say save save save...but if i just spend the little extra now ill have all the power i need, AND NO ONE WILL WANT TO TAKE IT AWAY FROM ME!!!:D so you hafta consider my whole situation...
think about it... 47,XXX miles is along way from dead. so spend 30,000 on a TT with that many miles or spend 7k on a quality kit. :) i could make my NA a complete clone of your TT with 800 plus horsepower for 30 grand bud.

·
Senior
1,475 Posts
So, do you want a fast car or revenge? Why not spend the extra money on a complete kit & worry about doing it right, not if it will work? At your age & driving experience 300-350 rwhp will be fast enough & without lag and/or suprise 18 psi boost. You youngn's are very fortunate to be driving a bitchin' car so soon. Make sure you enjoy it.:peace: :smoker:

S

·
0 Posts
I believe you guys are not looking far enough into the future.

when you get out of college 5-6 yrs from now. How hard do you think it will be to find a 2jz-gte engine? They were only made for 6 yrs and in very limited numbers and are just getting rarer.

the 2jz-ge engine however is still in use and is more popular than ever being used in 3 or 4 cars now. And while the GTE engine is stronger. The GE engine is still more than strong enough to handle any sane amount of power.

I believe that the 2jz-ge engine is the safest bet for the future, It is virtually assured that they and their parts will be quite easy to find and subsequintly cheaper. and for single turbo charging they are just as good as the GTE engine up until 600hp where the GE will then need to be reinforced, but as far as I am concerned 600hp is MORE than enough. Especially considering that in the future gas prices can do nothing but rise.

As for the rest of the car. The na lacks the brakes of the TT but that can easily be remidied by larger rotors, i plan to put TT rotors on my NA, and the suspension can be just as good with an aftermarket setup. The one thing that does concern me though is the tranny but that can be remidied as well.

I am in college as well and am thinking along many of the lines that you people are. Maybe my views are just plain wacko to others out there, but in my opinion my views are the soundest and most logical;)

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good call

ya know what? as long as you already have an NA, i agree perfectly. if u have the funds for a tt and are supraless...id say go tt just for sheer pleasure of practically unlimited power.
but your reasoning is perfectly logical and the ge's are here...a gte supra is still made up to this year in japan..and can still be imported...it woudl be a shame for them to kill that engine all together...who knows...maybe it'll show up in an IS300 some day!! :D i wish...anyway...good point...i might just go show that to all the stuck up tt's out there that think were inferior....not all are that way tho...just for the record.

vereaux:for now all i want is to beat crustangs and suckmaros :D no offense to you guys theyre fast cars but lack the quality i desire. but revenge would be nice down the rode...plus theres this hella cool thing called "the highschool challenge" high school handicapped dragracing...u race based on your times and its handicapped but would be hella fun. and i dont want to look bad against all theres little american cars...I NEED TO REPRESENT!:mad: :p

S

·
0 Posts
mkiv808 said:

First of all.... snow!? Most TT's don't have heated seats and the trac is completely useless in the snow or dry.

Putting together an NA-T is tough. It's going to cost you a lot. Way more than if you just went out and bought a TT. It's a waste of money IMO. And you won't be able to do it with your current tranny. Plus, what if you want to sell it? No one will want it... they'll opt for the original TT.

So you're going to drive your car 250k miles or more (if you take care of it), and spend upwards of $10,000 on a car worth less than that?

There you go. Do that. And wait, wait, wait... take some advanced driving courses... and then wait some more.

Save your money dude. Or just buy an NA 5-speed. :D

I almost killed myself last year in my TT. I was 18 and bought the car when I was 17. (self-earned)

No matter how ready you think you are... trust me, you're not.

You guys are naive just like I was. But I'm lucky I'm still here to tell you that.
Also to start with... NA-T kits cost around 5k$ *tts are pretty damn expensive nowadays and bone stock they are only around 300hp... so you'll have to put a T kit on it anywayz if u want in the big leagues*. So spending 5k$ on a turbo kit might be the smarter route. Trust me man... 500-600hp is 500-600hp whether or not its on an NA or a TT. I'd gladly take a 600hp NA since it'd be way cheaper then a 600hp TT. Also you said that if we drive it over 250k miles spending around 10k$ on it.. *i doubt u'll have to pay that much unless u do a bpu*. Also how is 10k$ worth more then the car??? These things cost a hell of a lot more then 10k$.

RoB~

·
Senior
1,475 Posts
Hey, if you have agood condition n/a, why not nod it? 5-6 years into the future there will be some thing else -no doubt.:D A 600 hp street leagal n/a?- I doubt it.
Anyway, back to those Camaros- they'll be gone soon due, to lack of sales. Mustangs are the target. Ford just doesn't have a good handling, livable sports car.
Clue me in to the "high school challenge" though. When I was in tech school, I never thought there would be cars that could corner, brake & get gas milage like they do today! Go to engineering school & learn to design what you want!:D

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
Black93Supra, it makes more sense if your parents bought it for you.

StaticX313, you won't know what to do with 600hp :D

edit: Does 5k include tranny and professional installation?

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
StaticX313 said:
Also you said that if we drive it over 250k miles spending around 10k$ on it.. *i doubt u'll have to pay that much unless u do a bpu*. Also how is 10k$ worth more then the car??? These things cost a hell of a lot more then 10k$.

RoB~
Let me explain.

One of your options was driving the NA until the engine blew.

Well, it would take many, many, many miles to blow that engine unless you're shooting large amounts of NOS. At least 250k I would say.

An NA in excellent condition is only worth $8,565 in my state with 250k miles. At that point you'd be investing more in that car than it's worth. And yes, it's going to cost near $10k total to get this 500-600hp (high school kid + that power = death wish) car you're speaking of *unless* you do all the installation yourself.

Hope this clears that up.

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
ummm i think it's $5k for just the parts to turbo the n/a. installation not incuded. install is like another $3-5k or something like that... and a stock tt can get over 400hp with a lot less money than it would take for us to get there... $1500 could get us about 30hp where it would give the tt about another 100 or more hp... it's a little harder for us to get the horsepower they have but we can still do it, up to a point :D

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
...and the tranny is extra $$$$$

S

·
0 Posts
vreaux728645 said:
Hey, if you have agood condition n/a, why not nod it? 5-6 years into the future there will be some thing else -no doubt.:D A 600 hp street leagal n/a?- I doubt it.
Originally posted by DaveH from thread What turbo is your NA packin?
My car made 511rwhp on turbo only, and 602rwhp with nitrous.
Well ask DaveH if his car is street legal its around 511hp and 600+ with nos... so there ya go. Pulling a 10.8 on the 1/4 mile, which is pretty damn fast.

Also I thought you said spending 10k$ on the car was spending more then the car was worth... well duh the car isnt worth 10k$ at 250k miles... i doubt u could give it away at 250k miles unless they're just buying seperate parts from it. So i mean if u only have to spend 10k$ on ur car after like 250k miles thats a pretty good deal that'd last you a long time. There are 40k miles over 9 years on my car so far *1993 NA Supra*. So for those of us who can do math thats a very long time til you have to buy a car again.

Sides mkiv808 just cause you got in a wreck or screwed up and got scared doesnt mean that every high school kid out there cant handle a TT or a turbo kit. Yes 600hp is a tad bit much, but im just saying. Dont go around saying everyone cant handle shit when you dont even know the person. I mean like every post its *Hp= DEATH! or You dont know what to do with that much HP!! or Take advanced driving classes!*I've driven a 1970 Ford Mustang with a custom 428 cobra jet engine *and if u want proof I'll grab you pics*. It was fast as hell *around 450 hp on a V8 engine* but nothing I couldnt handle, and prolly not that bad for many other ppl as well. I dont know what'd it be compared to a 600hp supra, but unless your gunning it everywhere you go its probably not that bad and ya ya I know its NOT a 600hp supra, but you can see where im comin from.

and 10k$ for 600hp is a good deal as well. I mean I payed 12k$ for my 1993 NA Supra. $22,000 for a 600hp kick ass, good looking car... man that'd be a dream come true.

Rob~

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
StaticX313 said:
Well ask DaveH if his car is street legal its around 511hp and 600+ with nos... so there ya go. Pulling a 10.8 on the 1/4 mile, which is pretty damn fast.
I believe they were referring to an all-motor NA.

StaticX313 said:
Also I thought you said spending 10k$ on the car was spending more then the car was worth... well duh the car isnt worth 10k$ at 250k miles... i doubt u could give it away at 250k miles unless they're just buying seperate parts from it. So i mean if u only have to spend 10k$ on ur car after like 250k miles thats a pretty good deal that'd last you a long time. There are 40k miles over 9 years on my car so far *1993 NA Supra*. So for those of us who can do math thats a very long time til you have to buy a car again.
Look at your original post:
Originally posted by StaticX313
Sides mkiv808 just cause you got in a wreck or screwed up and got scared doesnt mean that every high school kid out there cant handle a TT or a turbo kit. Yes 600hp is a tad bit much, but im just saying. Dont go around saying everyone cant handle shit when you dont even know the person. I mean like every post its *Hp= DEATH! or You dont know what to do with that much HP!! or Take advanced driving classes!*I've driven a 1970 Ford Mustang with a custom 428 cobra jet engine *and if u want proof I'll grab you pics*. It was fast as hell *around 450 hp on a V8 engine* but nothing I couldnt handle, and prolly not that bad for many other ppl as well. I dont know what'd it be compared to a 600hp supra, but unless your gunning it everywhere you go its probably not that bad and ya ya I know its NOT a 600hp supra, but you can see where im comin from.
It's different driving someone else's car once or twice and owning your own. You become complacent when you own the car. Trust me, I was the safest driver out of all of my friends. I was really careful and paranoid. But this is not the type of car to drive like an old lady with. It BEGS for you to get on it. It's only human to give in to it. After all, you don't strive for 600hp to cruise at quarter throttle.

I probably would've said something similar to you... I'll be careful, I'm a good driver, I know the dangers, blah, blah, blah. Shit, I was just like you. Talking about HP and 1/4 mile times when I hadn't even done so much as run on a dragstrip. It's inexperience talking. Nothing beats experience.

I wouldn't be saying this if it weren't for your age and lack of experience.

So, in summation... it's not so much handling the power, it's a matter of saving your own ass when it gets the best of you. It doesn't take a racing legend to drive a 450hp V8 like you said you did. My point is... if something goes wrong, you're not going to know what to do. After a good driving course or two, or a wreck (hopefully not the case), you will realize this. Save that shit for the track.

and 10k$ for 600hp is a good deal as well. I mean I payed 12k$ for my 1993 NA Supra. $22,000 for a 600hp kick ass, good looking car... man that'd be a dream come true.
If you can make an automatic NA into a 600hp street car for $10k including labor, please don't withold your secrets. :D

S

·
0 Posts
mkiv808 said:

It's different driving someone else's car once or twice and owning your own. You become complacent when you own the car. Trust me, I was the safest driver out of all of my friends. I was really careful and paranoid. But this is not the type of car to drive like an old lady with. It BEGS for you to get on it. It's only human to give in to it. After all, you don't strive for 600hp to cruise at quarter throttle.
??? lol umm i own the 450hp mustang lol so I havent just driven it once or twice... I was just saying I have driven a pretty powerful car, with NO power steering and brakes that were pathetic. Had to almost stand up to get the car to stop.

RoB~

S

·
0 Posts
originally posted by mkiv808
If you can make an automatic NA into a 600hp street car for $10k including labor, please don't withold your secrets.
heh dave did it in 8000$ , his was a stick of course, but im sure if you trade in your automatic tranny , buying a stick would put it up to somewhat over 10k$ or right around in there, but im not sure what a manual transmission or the installation of one would cost

Rob~

Originally posted by DaveH in another threadStatiX313: I have about $8k into my kit.
he also mentions it would cost around 2,900$ to change out ur transmission so... i apologize, for 11k$ you can have a 511hp n/a manual supra. Throw in some more $$ and you can add nos to pick it up to 600hp or more.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts