Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys.

Got a tech question here.
Briefly while turbo #1 is blowin #2 (i think its the turbo..) gives out a scratchy, mid/high tone. Yes, that eerie Tie-Fighter howl. Ive witnessed this maybe 4 - 5 times (Maybe around 10% of the time). NOW, turbo #2 spools up and engages fine. I can boost to 1.5bar easy (not that I do!)

Wondering if this is a sign of eminent turbo #2 failure -- or perhaps something else.

Maybe some car details would help...

'95 6psd, RMM Dp, bcc, hks evc, akimoto intake, hks dragger, ngk 330s, apexi safc (dyno tuned), stock everything else. No EGR mods (yet). Car was stock till 46,500 miles, its now on mile 52,500 -- no track runs as of yet.

I usually run with the boost controller off, yeilding highway max boost of 1.4~ bar. Ive notice this sound in all the gears (cept maybe 5 & 6 - being that I dont usually rev hard in these gears).

Thanks to all that check out this thread.

-NarcoBotix

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: My supra is giving in to the "dark-side" -- Tie-Fighter sounds!! (uh-oh)

narco said:
Hey Guys.

Got a tech question here.
Briefly while turbo #1 is blowin #2 (i think its the turbo..) gives out a scratchy, mid/high tone. Yes, that eerie Tie-Fighter howl. Ive witnessed this maybe 4 - 5 times (Maybe around 10% of the time). NOW, turbo #2 spools up and engages fine. I can boost to 1.5bar easy (not that I do!)

Wondering if this is a sign of eminent turbo #2 failure -- or perhaps something else.

Maybe some car details would help...

'95 6psd, RMM Dp, bcc, hks evc, akimoto intake, hks dragger, ngk 330s, apexi safc (dyno tuned), stock everything else. No EGR mods (yet). Car was stock till 46,500 miles, its now on mile 52,500 -- no track runs as of yet.

I usually run with the boost controller off, yeilding highway max boost of 1.4~ bar. Ive notice this sound in all the gears (cept maybe 5 & 6 - being that I dont usually rev hard in these gears).

Thanks to all that check out this thread.

-NarcoBotix
Narco: If you EVER get the death whine.. it's a pretty sure fire sign that the turboes are dying. I got the death whine one day... then drove it the next and the turboes spooled fine. However, the day after that the death whine came back, only worse... etc. I'm pretty sure it's on the way out.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:-\

damn! :-\

When the turbo fails -- im guessing "I'll Know", about what should I be able to boost to w/o the bigger 2nd turbo?

Somewhat OT... Lately I have been 2nd guessing whether or not my boost gauge is telling me "the truth". While in 5th - 6th gear, if I floor it I can usually hit a high boost reading of anywhere from 1.4 - 1.5+ bar, while not rev'ing past 3500~4000 rpm. Now, If im in lower gears, and rev hard to accelerate as fast as she'll go, i rarely hit past 1.3~1.4 bar regardless of how high I rev. In the upper gears it almost feels like she boosts all the way to 1.5 bar w/ turbo #1 .. feels and sounds like it, only because the car is at such a high gear, and at a relatively low rpm as well very little increase in speed -- albeit I am already going 70+ mph

Does this sound right?

*shakes head* :rolleyes:

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've had a similar small whine somewhere in between the 2700-3500 rpms since i bought my car 20k miles ago. I said the hell with it got a boost gauge, held boost, ran 70+ times at the track and they are still ticken...may be a noise from somewhere else? i can't figure it out...Is it because the turbo shafts normally have some play? would this make that noise..?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hey,

I'm trying to track down the exact same problem. Can't seem to figure it out. I only hear it sometimes though, and never hear it when I boot it hard... I usually hear it when I'm shifting and get on the gas slightly. Car pulls fine too. I'm in TTC though... turbos definitely not making positive boost when I'm slightly on it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Elude said:
Could be turbos going out, i've heard the death wine, and now got a dawg with blown #2, won't boost and sounds HORRIBLE when it does, anything above 3500 RPM is not possible.
Was trying to invoke it today... very strange. If the car's warmed up quite a bit... no sound. But if it's cold I'll here it... also hear it just letting out the clutch without the gas...

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

interesting.. Seems its not that uncommon..

Like some of you above, I dont hear it when pushin hard, usually when I dont expect it -- driving normally, street speeds (20 - 40mph), and like some of you as well, It tends to be early on when the car is warming up. I can attest to never hearing it when it was not bpu (nearly 4.5k miles driven stock, and now about 2k miles on it as BPU)

Well, maybe a single-conversion isnt in my near future.. (thats a good and bad thing :p )

Any other ideas guys?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Had my car in the shop to do some stuff... mechanic mentioned that he could hear the transmission howling... I guess that's what it is. I would have rather had the turbo's going... damnit.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm.... you know... Im not sure if I hear the same problem... on my car, the turbos whine "Like-Turbos" should whine... and they boost corrertly, or I assume they do.... any other signs of problems that I could check out...??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts