Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1993 Supra 3.4 Stroked GTE | Jack's Stage 3 V160
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been "building" my Supra for a long time but I'm finally making progress after years of it being stalled. I purchased my 1993 Supra back in 2013. It was the first car I had bought on my own. I was 19 and was able to purchase one of my dream cars after joining the military. It was a NA W58 (which I learned how to drive stick on) and it was slow but nothing beat the driving experience of it. To make an extremely long story short, my father who helped me work on it after I got it home was receiving treatment at Duke University for a very rare form of lymphoma. The car unfortunately sat for months as I was using my other car to commute and drive to Duke from Maryland every weekend. It had stale gas and just needed a tune up, but I just didn't have the time to invest.

Unfortunately months later in February of 2016 he lost his battle and passed away. My goal then became to take the Supra and build it in memory of him to be used for lymphoma research or some sort of charity fundraising. I just didn't have the funds to do everything I wanted, but I found a "shop" in Augusta and the guy wanted to help me build it. Things went awry for awhile (skip over pending legal issues with said person) and here we are. I scraped money together and sold my 2016 Focus RS that had some positive equity in order to finally get the car running and make progress with all the other aspects of the build.

I had purchased a Jack's Stage 3 V160 to match with a 3.4 stroked non-vvti GTE. Lots of work is going into the swap. I have purchased a new Radium fuel system with dual walboro pumps, ID1700 injectors, flex fuel kit, ProEFI 128, Fortune Auto air piston coilovers, custom BC Forged wheels, TT calipers, Clutchmasters FX1000 and lots of other parts. Here are some pictures of the parts and progress. I am working with a good friend/co-worker of mine who has a shop at his house and has built his 1200hp 2JZ 240. We are shooting to have it up and running in the next few months! I'll post updates as they come along! I can't wait to finally drive it again as it has been down for about 4 years at this point and longer than that since I've driven it.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had wanted to get a different turbo from the BW S400 series that was on there, so I picked up a S369SXE for the time being and had it cleaned up!

Reactions: Wreckless

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We got started on getting the engine bay pulled apart. It took awhile to finish, but it got degreased, sanded, primed any bare metal and then finally got it painted gloss black. I haven't seen it in person yet, since it was done while I was at work this past Saturday. From what I've seen in pictures and been told it looks great in person! The plan is to gloss black the engine bay and eventually wrap the car in a deep purple. Purple was my dad's favorite color and it's also the color of the lymphoma ribbon.

·
Super Moderator
10,898 Posts
The story of any car build is a story about people, and your Supra build is no exception 🍺
I'm very sorry to read of your Father's passing. It's hard enough to watch family go through such a battle with an illness, but the military life makes it so much more difficult.. I've been there myself so I feel you, brother.

You've made great progress doing the DIY route with your buddy - I'm looking forward to seeing more updates! An S369 is going to fire right up on a 3.4L, so it should be a really fun powerband! What compression/headwork/cams did you go with for your engine build?

• Love
Reactions: KirinandChips

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a few more items I've accumulated. I got my TT calipers blasted and powdercoated.

My PHR cooling fans ready to install!

Here are my custom BC Forged LE10 wheels. Fronts are 19x10 et+40 wrapped with 285/35R19 Michelin PS4S. Rears are 19x12+17 wrapped with 325/30R19 Michelin PS4S.

Here's the twin-scroll ETS manifold I got as well!

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The story of any car build is a story about people, and your Supra build is no exception 🍺
I'm very sorry to read of your Father's passing. It's hard enough to watch family go through such a battle with an illness, but the military life makes it so much more difficult.. I've been there myself so I feel you, brother.

You've made great progress doing the DIY route with your buddy - I'm looking forward to seeing more updates! An S369 is going to fire right up on a 3.4L, so it should be a really fun powerband! What compression/headwork/cams did you go with for your engine build?
Truthfully, I have to further dig into the engine. I was not the one who built it and I am no longer on good terms with whom I got it from, so not positive on specs/parts list. I have a new headgasket that I want to install (just to do it while it's out of the car) and check out the stroker kit.

·
Super Moderator
10,898 Posts
Truthfully, I have to further dig into the engine. I was not the one who built it and I am no longer on good terms with whom I got it from, so not positive on specs/parts list. I have a new headgasket that I want to install (just to do it while it's out of the car) and check out the stroker kit.
Mystery builds are not my idea of fun, but gotta do what you gotta do! Be mindful that if there's L19 head studs in there, only touch them with latex gloves on and keep them submerged in oil at all times. An empty/cleaned screw-lid plastic peanut butter jar works great for this. Fill it up with new (or used) motor oil and store the studs/nuts/washers in there. Screw the nut back onto the stud after removal and slide the washer onto it, and store them upside-down so the washer stays on the stud and you can fish out each stud individually. Saves a lot of trouble!
I prefer to use new motor oil for this, and use it as top-off on the first engine run after reassembly (which I always change after 1-2 heat cycles after reassembly to clean out any contamination, even if the pistons/rods/bearings weren't touched)

....Here are my custom BC Forged LE10 wheels. Fronts are 19x10 et+40 wrapped with 285/35R19 Michelin PS4S. Rears are 19x12+17 wrapped with 325/30R19 Michelin PS4S.
You said nothing about a big-ass widebody on the rear! :) What's the plan there?

• Love
Reactions: KirinandChips

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mystery builds are not my idea of fun, but gotta do what you gotta do! Be mindful that if there's L19 head studs in there, only touch them with latex gloves on and keep them submerged in oil at all times. An empty/cleaned screw-lid plastic peanut butter jar works great for this. Fill it up with new (or used) motor oil and store the studs/nuts/washers in there. Screw the nut back onto the stud after removal and slide the washer onto it, and store them upside-down so the washer stays on the stud and you can fish out each stud individually. Saves a lot of trouble!
I prefer to use new motor oil for this, and use it as top-off on the first engine run after reassembly (which I always change after 1-2 heat cycles after reassembly to clean out any contamination, even if the pistons/rods/bearings weren't touched)

You said nothing about a big-ass widebody on the rear! :) What's the plan there?
It's got ARP head bolts in there, just not the 625+ that I want so I'm on the wait list. And I have Shine Auto Ridox rear fenders, skirts and front bumper on order! As well as Whifbitz Ridox carbon front fenders!

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got confirmation that the last piece of my Shine Auto Ridox kit (the side skirts) will be completed next week and ship the week after! The final pieces are coming together. I'm still waiting on my PHR 5" FMIC and custom piping to be finished and shipped as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts