Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 988 Posts

·
Tearing up Sydney streets
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
New OEM Dash Panels (continued!):

To liven up the engine bay a bit more, I also purchased some PHR Engine Bay Goodies:

And a New Fields Harness for any required ECU changes to avoid hacking up my beautiful new harness!

As I would be refreshing the entire underbody of the Supra, I wanted to ensure the wheel wells were immaculate, so I started off with new OEM Fender Liners:

New OEM Mud Flap:

To go along with the front bumper, I got ahold of a set of new OEM Turn Signals:

Also after looking through the Toyota EPC for hours and hours, I had come up with some more OEM Underhood Parts I had previously missed:

·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)

I also was a bit worried about how ratty my petrol tank flap and opening looked, so I went for all new OEM Fuel Parts:

Thanks to Curt, I also added some new OEM Rear Quarter Windows to this shipment which I thought would set the exterior off nicely - especially as purchasing new rear quarter windows was really the only way I could refresh the trim around them:

Of course I had to get new OEM Stickers and Logos for the outside to let everyone know it is a Toyota Supra! ;-)

The rear 3rd stop lights can also look quite aged, and once again, the only real way to refresh the trim is to purchase a new one:

·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
At this stage, the car had landed in the USA (Houston to be specific), and was then transported to MVP Motorsports. I had previously spoken to Dusty @ MVP, Chris and Larry & SP regarding the build and had decided on the avenue the car was to take. Basically I wanted to increase displacement to 3.4L, with my main concern being quick spoolup of the turbos and low end power/torque. As the aim for the car was a street car, this was the most important aspect of the mechanical side of the build. I did not feel the need for a 1500HP drag car, but wanted an engine setup capable of extreme low end power, high rev limit, and virtually bulletproof for producing a decent amount of power. As a result of my requirements and aims/goals, we decided to start with a brand new OEM engine, consisting of a complete new longblock, head, all associated OEM parts (pipes, tubes, gaskets, seals, nuts, bolts, retainers, hoses etc).

So, the engine build started with a brand new OEM head and block, along with an HKS 3.4L stroker kit to be used. MVP would build the stroker, including reworked oil passages, bored, decked and honed, new factory thrust washers as well as installation of billet mains.

I also decided to go with To further reduce mass of various engine parts, I opted for shimless buckets.

Previously, I had obtained some JUN camshafts, a brand very well known for top quality products in Japanese engine builds. I chose cams which were of shorter duration as I never had intentions for extreme HP levels and research had shown that a shorter duration cam with higher lift would allow the engine to breathe, turbos to spool quickly with very little resulting lag. I ended up choosing 256/264 intake/exhaust with 9.3mm lift.

For the head, I chose to use PHR's services as they had received an enormous amount of feedback on their heads and also, Joe was an absolute pleasure to deal with - what a great guy! I had the new OEM head sent to PHR and had them perform their "CNC Ported & Polished race cylinder head" treatment on it. They were to liaise with MVP for the stroker build, shimless bucket conversion and JUN cam installation and degreeing.

As I eluded to earlier, the plan was to build the hell out of the engine so that for all purposes it was as bulletproof as I could make it, so after some further consultation with Dusty @ MVP, Joe @ PHR and Chris & Larry @ SP, I went for Ferrea valvetrain components (titanium where possible), HKS Head Gasket, L19 ARP Head Studs, ARP Main Crank Stud Kit, Titan Billet Main Caps, and Power Enterprise Bearings.

I was fortunate enough to have the first ever PHR RHD breather kit fabricated and installed on the engine. New OEM valve covers were ordered, modified for the breather kit and chromed.

To give the engine a bit of shine, I went with a new oil pan which was chromed, a new oil pan baffle plate, new oil dipstick, chromed dipstick cap and a new OEM timing belt cover which was chromed.

Whilst PHR was doing their work, I also opted for the PHR EGR Block Off Plates.

Next up was the decisions to make regarding engine accessories and other parts that needed upgrading or replacing. I started with a PHR Billet Timing Belt Tensioner Bracket which was chromed (once again, thank you to RB Chroming for their amazing work!), new Crank/cam position sensors, a TTC Performance Idler pulley, Unorthadox Racing Alternator Pulley, a New OEM Power Steering Pump, Unorthadox Racing Power Steering Pulley, and an Unorthadox Racing Water pump pulley.

There were various other parts which I felt were lacking in performance or looks, so I decided to replace them with aftermarket parts. For example, the chromed TTC Waterpump pulley cover, TRD 160 Degree Thermostat, Unorthadox Racing Lightened Pulley Set and a PHR Modified Oil Pump.

Of course, I also had to add the TRD Oil Cap :).

After all was said and done, the engine spec was as follows:

New OEM Toyota Shortblock
New OEM Toyota Cylinder Head
ALL NEW OEM Parts for building OEM longblock
HKS 3.4L Stroker Kit
MVP Built Stroker - Line Honed, Bored, Decked, Reworked Oil Passages, new factory thrust washers
Shimless Buckets
PHR CNC Ported and Polished Race Cylinder Head
Ferrea Dual Valve Springs
Ferrea Titanium Retainers
Ferrea Valve Guides
Ferrea Valve Locks
Ferrea Valve Seals
Ferrea +1mm Titanium Valves
Ferrea Spring Seat Locators
HKS 1.6mm Stopper Metal Head Gasket
L19 ARP Head Stud Kit
ARP Main Crank Stud Kit
JUN Camshafts 256 intake 9.3mm lift
JUN Camshaft 264 exhaust 9.3mm lift
JUN Cam Gears (was Unorthadox Racing)
Titan Billet Main Caps
Power Enterprise F-1 Rod Bearings (Brown)
Power Enterprise F-1 Crank Bearings (Green)
Power Enterprise Center Bearings
New OEM Coil Packs
New OEM Cylinder Head Covers (Valve Covers) - Modified for breather kit and chromed
PHR Engine Breather Kit (First Ever RHD!) - Chromed with Nickel Fittings
New Screws, Bolts, Washers, Gaskets, Piping, Clamps, Threads, Nuts
ATI Crank Pulley
HKS Timing Belt
PHR EGR Block Off Plates
New Oil Pan - Chromed
New Oil Pan Baffle Plate
New Oil Gauge/DipStick
Dipstick Chromed Cap
New OEM Timing Belt Cover - Chromed
New OEM Rear Engine Oil Seal
New Camshaft Oil Seal
New Valve Ventilation Hoses
New OEM Timing Belt Guide
New OEM Tensioner Assembly
PHR Billet Timing Belt Tensioner Bracket - Chromed
New Crank/cam position sensors
TTC Performance Idler pulley - chromed
Unorthadox Racing Alternator Pulley - Chromed
New OEM Power Steering Pump
Unorthadox Racing Power Steering Pulley - Chromed
Unorthadox Racing Water pump pulley - Chromed
TTC Waterpump pulley cover - chromed
TRD 160 Degree Thermostat
Unorthadox Racing Lightened Pulley Set - Chromed
PHR Modified Oil Pump
Powerhouse Racing Alternator Upgrade for 1993-98 Supra - 175 Amp - Chromed
TRD Engine Mounts - Chromed
New OEM Engine Mount Brackets - Chromed
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
TRD Oil Cap

·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)

My Parts had also arrived and Dusty kindly put aside a shelf to store them on:

The old engine was removed:

and the newly built stroker was put in (note that at this stage, the chroming of some parts was not yet complete - e.g. engine mounts, pipes, new mount brackets, hooks):

·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
At this stage, I became a bit obsessed with weight savings. Even though I wanted to go widebody, build the engine, and do other mods that may add weight, I wanted to balance out as much of that as I could with various other lightweight ocmponents. Not only to reduce the overall weight of the car, but to reduce drivetrain loss and unsprung weight.

First up was a Custom Carbon Fiber DriveShaft:

I also opted for a NEW Toyota Auto Trans, rather than using my old one. The new unit was sent to BL to be Built and mated with a new Torque Converter appropriate for my goals:

To further clean up the underside of the car, I decided to purchase a New OEM Rear End:

As off-the-mark acceleration was my primary goal, I spent a LOT of time trying to track down the elusive 4.26 Auto Ring & Pinion Gear Set from PHR, and finally managed to get my hands on one:

To finish off the rear end nicely, I ordered a New TRD Diff:

To help put some of the power to the ground and to retain some degree of ride comfort, I decided to go for a set of the well known HKS Drag Coilovers. I was extremely lucky as about one month after I purchased them, the announcement of their discontinuation came through:

The transmission also came back from being built:

·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
As previously mentioned, I wanted an EXTREMELY responsive setup. So, instead of choosing a single small turbo, I decided to get in contact with the guys at SP after I had read about their aftermarket sequential twin turbo work. Following many emails back and forth and conversations with them, we were all on board with the goals of my project, and so I started to research the best options available. At this point, they had just come up with the Quick Spool Valve. I knew immediately what I wanted - a SP Sequential TT setup with small Dual Ball Bearing turbos and dual Quick Spool Valves. Not only would I be able to make a LOT of power thanks to two turbos, but as they were small DBB turbos and operating sequentially, I could have amazing low end power as well. Adding in the dual quick spool valves would further enhance the low end performance. At this point I imagine Larry, Vince and Chris were pulling their hair out... not only did they have to negotiate with the RHD framework of the car, but they also had to build a completely custom sequential twin turbo system (including an impossibly complex manifold), exhaust, intercooler and intakes to suite it and also find a way to incorporate the dual quick spool valves.

So, the car had a little journey from MVP (Bridgeport in Texas) to Sound Performance (Bensenville in Illinois).

So, whilst the engine was being built, the guys at SP had been hard at work figuring out how they werre going to deal with building the sequential TT setup. The first hurdle was getting our hands on appropriately sized DBB turbos with divided housings. After some extensive research, emails and phone calls, I was able to locate a vendor selling the exact size turbo I was after. So we got our hands on two of these babies:

Garrett GT3071, 60mm DBB, 0.78 a/r, T3, 3” inlet

Next to one of the new QSV's:

At this stage, the car had arrived so further design and construction of the sequential system could begin. The guys at SP wasted no time, and were soon wielding their welders and producing some mind blowing fabrication work:

·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)

Work progressed steadily, the guys often staying late into the evening to get that last bit done for the day:

The 5" thick intercooler was the next to go under the flame:

Of course, the two had to be mated together!

More fabrication for the exhaust system had started - apparently an absolute nightmare due to the steering rack and various other obstacles!

At this stage, the fuel cell had been specced and beautifully setup by Larry:

·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)

Hi Larry!

Larry and Chris, proving my car was still alive LOL:

Some more magic work by Larry:

Finally, it was time to put everything together and do a dyno run... the moment of truth... would my dream be realised? Would I get the power and response I was hoping for?

The first run, 613rwhp @ 17psi, 545rwtq with _minimal_ tuning:

They also did a video of the valves in action. They open on the first turbo (rear turbo) and as second turbo sequences, the second quick spool valve opens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX6zq2QxWUc

Larry did some more tinkering with timing of the valves, the sequential switchover point, fuel/ignition timing:

Then, they did a test run tuning it for the fuel I would be running - VP Racing MS109 Unleaded @ 25 psi:

This whole time I had been researching and ordering new OEM parts as I found more and more that would be replaced. One of the most difficult to organise was the DASH PAD (not panels, they were easy ;) ). NO ONE is willing to guarantee shipping one without it getting broken as the mounting points are so fragile when un-attached to anything. They are _extremely_ expensive and when not in stock, take a LONG time to order in.
I ordered one from my local Toyota as Curt @ Elmhurst was not able to get his hands on a RHD one at that time. After 8 weeks of waiting, the dash arrived, and I immediately forwarded it to the guys in the US. However, at one point or another during transit (either the international trip from AU to US, or from Texas to IL), it broke:

I did NOT want to risk ordering another broken one, so I organised to have some Toyota guys internally organise the ordering and transportation of a RHD dash from Japan directly to the USA Toyota dealership, guaranteeing it would arrive unbroken and that if it was broken, they would take responsibility (even though I was asking a huge favour). So, second time lucky and after a LONG wait, it finally arrived, safe and ready to put in the car (but not yet ;) the car was still gutted at this point).

Another major aspect of the build was the interior. I wanted it to look immaculate, but also wanted to update it slightly. I already had factory leather seats, and while they did look very nice when clean and new, I decided to go for some aftermarket seats. After spending countless hours researching, googling, comparing images and custom setups, I came down to a number of options: Either the Sparco S-Light, or the elusive Sparco DTM Carbon Fibre seats. As I was planning to go widebody and adding an aftermarket turbo kit and various other heavy components, I wanted to try and save a bit of weight in the interior, yet keep it classy. I felt the S-Light seats were just a bit too racey for me, so I decided on the Sparco DTM seats. They had that beautiful look that the Sparco Milanos have, but weighing a LOT less. The Sparco DTM's are a carbon fibre base, covered in some of the best quality leather I have seen, double stitching, suede centres and weigh in at only 27 pounds INCLUDING ALL mounting hardware (side mounts, sliders, brakets), as compared with the S-lights which weigh in at about 28 pounds with hardware (13lb for the seats alone):

·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)

The stock seats are not too bad, but I definitely preferred the look of my new Sparco DTM Seats ;)

One had a scratch, so was immediately sent back to be replaced:

The start of some of the Wiring:

As if a 3.4L stroker, small 60mm DBB turbos, sequential setup, and dual quick spool valves was not enough, Larry had hooked up a Nitrous system, and gave the car a quick run on the dyno:

Next up we came to phase 2, time to gut the interior to get the car ready for bodywork, paint, and then NEW EVERYTHING!

Larry Hard at work:

·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)

In the mean time, some more of the parts I had ordered had arrived, and I was seriously pushing the limits of SP's storage space ;)

Thanks to Dusty, the TRD widebody kit had arrived:

Along with a set of MAMMOTH brakes - Rotora 12 piston calipers with380mm/15" slotted and drilled rotors.

The car was now stripped and ready to be transported to the bodyshop:

·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)

After speaking with Chris and Larry, I had made a decision on bodywork and decided to go with their recommendation - the shop that does all of the paint work for their cars and many of their customers cars, including the SP Supra:

The bodyshop is Golden Hammer, and the entire time I dealt with Joel Enyart. What can I say besides that he is an amazing individual. Not only did he have to put up with my perfectionist attitude, millions of requests (some normal, some very strange), hundreds of emails, but he did so with great enthusiasm, always replied in a timely manner and supplied endless updates and regular photos. Best of all, the work was immaculate, and from the day he started work until the day I received the car, everyone has been amazed at both the quality of the bodywork and the paint.

The car arrived at the Hammer and work started:

First up was to put the car on the frame machine to measure and check for any structural issues:

·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
After a test fitting of the TRD widebody kit, I had a lengthy discussion with Joel @ Golden Hammer Body about options and the various customisations I had in mind.

For a start, I had planned the following:

* Dual Exhaust, hence the rear bumper would need to be modified so that the right hand side was a mirror image of the left hand side
* Number plate flipper, so the front bumper would have to be modified accordingly
* Whifbitz front bumper, which would have to be modified to fit the widebody front fenders
* Deleted and covered rear antenna
* Deleted and covered rear windscreen wiper
* Deleted and covered front windscreen washers
* Deleted and covered rear windscreen nozzle
* Deleted and covered rear petrol tank and flap
* Deleted and covered rear quarter panel indicators
* Modified front and rear fenders, front bumper and side skirts to reduce "ugly wheel arch" - i.e. make them "hug" the wheels more like modern cars

Joel had also been speaking with Johan @ JRD... and before I knew it, I had pulled the trigger and decided on full metal widebody rear quarter panels.

So, the car went to JRD, was taken back to bare metal and given a silver undercoat and then the custom quarter fender fabrication began:

The car came back and Joel and everyone at SP were simply amazed at the quality of the work. So next up it was time to prep the rear quarters and get them ready for paint:

Let the bodywork continue:

·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
In case you are all wondering about the silver interior from previous bodywork photos, this is where the twist comes!
Whilst on the machine being measured, Joel found that the front frame was not completely straight on the white car. So, we decided to start fresh with a car that was 100% straight as we wanted absolute perfection!
I had purchased another low mileage Supra (the silver beauty), allowing the white one to be used as a "test-subject". This meant that testing and fabrication could be perfected before doing it for "real" on the silver car.
So the silver supra was sent to the bodyshop in place of the white, and it actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise! Not only did I end up with a 100% straight car, but all of the little things the guys at SP learnt the first time around on the white car, they applied to the silver car!

Call me insane or a perfectionist, but just knowing that the car is 100% straight and has had no repairs made the decision completely worthwhile. Peace of mind is a great thing ;)

·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
With that little surprise aside, it is time to go back to work on the widebody!

As previously mentioned, I decided that I wanted a dual exhaust as I thought it would update the look of the car, balance the rear, and I also never was a fan of the huge angled canon style mufflers.
Obviously, this would require a LOT of modifications to the car, which started off by attacking the rear bumper. The idea was to create a mirror image of the left on the right side:

21 - 40 of 988 Posts