Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this car on a "$3000.00 minus repair costs" deal from my friend back in August, following an aborted rebuild. The car is a very clean white/disco blue 1987 turbo 5-speed with a sport roof. It's only got 120K miles, all of which were driven by either him or his ex-wife's family. The original check from the purchase back in 1987 was in the car's records! Unfortunately, his ex ran it outta oil & threw a rod, forcing him to take it back from her and rebuild it. He had the car running back in May of last year, but while trying to fix the AC, he applied voltage to a ground, and the injectors flipped out, flooding the motor and making it impossible to start. It would turn, but no spark. Diagnostics told him the ignitor was faulty, so out of frustration he gave up on the car. He had no idea how badly it was flooded until he pulled the oil drain plug and was showered with a gas/oil mix. This was of course AFTER I had agreed to buy the thing. At the time I still figured all we needed to get her was a new ignitor, maybe a few little things here & there, and I'd be good to go. How naive I was back then...

While driving behind Best Buy one night, I hear a strange rotational sound coming from the motor at around 2500 rpms. Mmmmmmm, I said. A few days later, we were making plans on how to change something called "rod bearings" from underneath. Yeah, right!!! Fuuuuuuuuccccckkkkk, the crank (along with the rest of the motor!) had to come out... AGAIN! A little shady tree mechanicin', that's all. Okay, grind the crank, swap the rod & main bearings, put her back together. 3 day job, not too bad. And hey, I know a lot about my car now! Back on the road, good as new, right?

Wrong! After noticing my coolant disappearing and my oil getting milky, I went looking for answers. All it took was reading a few "BHG FAQ's" to tell me I probably had found what I was looking for. Best case scenario, my cheap head gasket, held on by re-used Toyota head bolts and only torqued to factory specs, was loose and only needed to be re-torqued. Alright, I'll do that then... and this time all by myself. Cool!

Sheeeeeeiiitttt, not the answer. Only slowed the coolant leak. Major hands-on lesson #2, coming up... it's head gasket time! My buddy, who had since moved, scheduled a return trip to take care of some loose ends AND help me swap out the POS head gasket for a new metal one. What a cool chap, eh? I ordered an HKS 1.2mm MHG & ARP headbolts from SupraStore. Turns out they couldn't get me the HKS soon enough, so I took the Titan Motorsports 1.37mm MHG for the same price. Crossin' my fingers on that one...

We got going last Tuesday and finally finished Thursday night, all done in the great outdoors. Not possible if I was still livin' in Wisconsin, that's for damn sure! Head & block were both resurfaced back in April, and the motor never overheated despite her BHG, so both mating surfaces were perfect once we scraped the gasket material off of them. Torqued the ARP's to 75ft/lbs, and put her back together. Of course I shimmed the turbo just a hair while I was in there, just for kicks!!!;-) Took about 15-20 hours to complete, which isn't bad considering neither of us had ever done such a job before without having an experienced mechanic around.

Been checking our work for the past couple of days, and I think I've found & eliminated any hose leaks. As for the valve cover gaskets, I've got a new set of Toyota ones waiting for when I re-torque my ARP's in about 300 more miles. And those pesky knock sensors, wish I woulda re-wired 'em, that's for sure. I kept getting code 51 on my check engine light, so I spent the past 2 days trying to wiggle some of those harnesses free, to no avial. However, today while talking to my buddy, he told me he "just pulled the one sensor off, like it wasn't clipped in". Well I pushed it into the block further until I heard a click, and voila, no check engine light. Coolant is staying level, oil is clean & viscous... gotta be good signs, eh? I certainly hope so.

Well, that's my story so far. I know more about the 7MGTE than I ever imagined 6 months ago. Blessings in disguise, I like to think. Now comes the fun part, I think. After all I've gone through just to make her road-worthy, I got me an old import racer, and she's ready to run! Nice to see there are so many other fellow Supra owners out there willing to lend a helping hand. Damn, it's 2am! I gotta get to bed!

Peace

·
Registered
523 Posts
hope you had the correct RA on the block and head or else you will be back under the hood for another go round.

RA=roughness average. some machine shops can't get the surface smooth enough for a metal headgasket so it is prone to leaking if not prepared properly.

sorry to be a bearer of potentially bad news

F

·
0 Posts
bah

just drive it, and retorque the studs in a couple hundred. You will be in my prayers :D

S

·
0 Posts
man thats some story, I know what its like when you fix something and then something else brakes. But when it all works, its one sweet machine.
Best of Luck

L

·
0 Posts
I feel your pain my man, but I also know how much it rocks to cruise around in the supra and just love its feel, and acceleration.
--->currently embroiled in his own outdoor (32 degrees F) HG swap. Goin on day 3 today.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
edmiston9, the SF's own Monday morning quarterback...

edmiston9 said:
hope you had the correct RA on the block and head or else you will be back under the hood for another go round.

RA=roughness average. some machine shops can't get the surface smooth enough for a metal headgasket so it is prone to leaking if not prepared properly.

sorry to be a bearer of potentially bad news
Don't say sorry to me man, you gotta live with your pessimism every day while I see the glass 3/4 full.

It's like I'm sitting on a plane and some guy I don't know comes up to me and says, "if the de-icing guys didn't do the job right, we could crash". D'oh! Alrighty then smart guy, what do you suggest we do about it now?

Well thanks Reg Riemer... oh wait, you're not Reg Riemer, you've just copied his information in order to spread your (in your mind anyways) all-knowing, sorry attitude for some lame reason.

By the way, did I say anything about any particular machine shop in my message? Because without that information, your comments are even MORE worthless! For future reference, edmiston9, when you see my username here, do us both a favor and don't respond.

I'd better get going now, my coolant might be leaking...

Peace

L

·
0 Posts
Bad edmiston9 bad, no more trying to be helpful to someone....NO MORE!!!!

erifann, jeez dude, seems like he was tryin to offer some advice.
If you don't wanna hear people's responses then don't post....Hell I'm in the same boat as you, but maybe just ignore it if you don't like what you read. Also, how is anyone supposed to know how knowledgeable you are on the situation? There is no interview and test before you are allowed to post, some people who are relatively new here have no idea about Reg, MHG, and the like. These are things that are picked up on by reading through posts and so on. If your so upset that edmiston9 didn't contribute anything to the conversation,.....just re-read your post, which brought nothing to the table and didn't ask any questions, and certainly shouldn't be in the Technical section.

btw hope the sup remains stable for ya, and I mean that too, nobody hear wishes bad shit on anyone else, and if they do it's over more beef than just this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Last Word (for me anyways)...

lanky189 said:
erifann, jeez dude, seems like he was tryin to offer some advice.
Nope. Advice would be something akin to "I would suggest that when you go in to retorque your head, be sure and..." Notice then I could maybe USE the advice, which is my whole point to begin with. His post would've been appropriate if somebody had posted something like "hey, I'm gonna bring my head in to get cleaned up, is there anything I should know BEFORE, notice the emphasis on BEFORE, I give it to the machine shop"? Boom, you bring out the Reg Riemer info, and some newbie is forever in debt to the dude...

If your so upset that edmiston9 didn't contribute anything to the conversation,.....just re-read your post, which brought nothing to the table and didn't ask any questions, and certainly shouldn't be in the Technical section.
I'm not upset that he didn't cotribute anything, I wasn't even looking for responses. I just wrote the story for laughs, because I thought my situation would be pretty funny to anybody who's gone through similar shit or somebody just looking to laugh at some other fool fumblin' around his car. It's that WHAT he contributed was absolutely, utterly useless AFTER the job was complete. See, I'm getting redundant now, and I don't like that, I sound like this really matters to me beyond this little insignificant corner of cyber-world, when it really doesn't. And you're right, I didn't ask any questions, unless you include the questions about things being "good signs", which was just my own "self-affirmation". If he somehow thought I was actually asking readers for re-assurance, then this has REALLY been a waste of time, and I will not hesitate to apologize, internet-style. And finally, I realized that it didn't belong in the technical section the moment it posted, but it was too late by then and I didn't wanna post it twice on the forums.

btw hope the sup remains stable for ya, and I mean that too, nobody hear wishes bad shit on anyone else, and if they do it's over more beef than just this.
I appreciate that, and I certainly don't wish anything bad upon anybody, on this forum or elsewhere. Certain things just get to me, and I just don't have much tolerance for negativity without basis in fact. And that goes for anybody, anywhere, not just when it's directed at me. Never had, never will. Oh well, enough on this subject. I promise I will not add to this thread any more... this horse is D E A - DEAD!

Peace

1 - 10 of 10 Posts