Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shure allot of you have similar stories about your supras and how you got involved with them here's mine in condensed form.. I was in florida in 1993..there on US 1, looking like nothing else was a black JZ supra the first one i had seen and I was instantly in love..so to make a long story short, lots of dreaming..lots of stopping by dealerships looking at 50, 000 price tags. looking at my pay checks as a plumber, not bad but not 50 k good..then one day, me and Koz were doing, well attempting to do an engine swap in his 90 civic. we had no real idea what we were in for, there was no swaps on the east coast yet, a few in Cali where we got the idea from..anyway we were calling around looking for engine mounts and we were told that there was a guy in Queens opening up a Japanese performance shop and we were like?????..Queens is our borough and we knew all the shops..well we get the address and run into a guy named Vinny Ten...Vinny and his partner J.C are painting the floors in what was to become the Performance factory NYC..We get to talking, we were all the same completely obsessed A type people, and on top of that complete supra junkies...Vinny wants to build a race car for the shop..he finds a shell of a JZ supra ready to be clipped and he gets it for next to nothing...so now we are going to build the first real race car supra in America. If I could not afford a supra, but get to build one and race it, that's not to shabby of a trade off in my mind..so with that, me any my bro both quit our Jobs to work for Vinny and to build the car at night.lots of racing and some of the best years of my life later..I finally got mine on July 16 1999..red automatic...we took her apart and used the block in Vinnys car a few times.dragged her around the country for a few years completly stripped, ended up in Cali and finally built her the way I had always envisioned her..silver, wide, 1000 hp, custom twin turbo, actually she is more that I could have envisioned.Life is good.so that is my supra story in a nutshell. Nothing really makes me happier than seeing and hearing a JZ being used at the track.and to build one and send it out to do battle is like nothing else. first it was drag racing and now it is also road racing, which I am enjoying more than drag racing lately..I hate to say it but it is true..road racing rocks!!..anyway that is my story, i thought i would tell you guys how we got involved with supras. because were pretty much obsessed with them..

Also I thought I would put up a few picks of my car, our shop mule but i cant post picks yet..I think she is pretty much done, but we might do the cage over..here's the set up.
3.0 liter
Aria pistons (custom) total seal rings,carrillo rods, REV ti intake valves +1mm and pyromet 51 ex valves +1mm, crower stage 4 cams, custom Twins Turbo/fab works intake manifold, custom twin turbo system w/dual innovative DBB turbos,22" long runners, 3" D/P, Tilton clutch, TRD diff, Motec M800 with ADL dash,weldon pump, Penske 8600 shocks, stoptech F+R, TRD kit widened, 18-10 F 18-13 R Kinesis K28 polished and anodized black, 2 hose clamps on the car everything including boost is A/N,all ARP hardware (everywhere)...there is more but I am forgetting..last time on the dyno was 1070 at 40 psi...i wish i could share some picks but i guess in time..

Later Eric..

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
Glad to have you on board, Eric. Your enthusiasm is evident and great to see. Look forward to the pics. :)
-Chris

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
TWINS TURBO said:
3.0 liter
Aria pistons (custom) total seal rings,carrillo rods, REV ti intake valves +1mm and pyromet 51 ex valves +1mm, crower stage 4 cams, custom Twins Turbo/fab works intake manifold, custom twin turbo system w/dual innovative DBB turbos,22" long runners, 3" D/P, Tilton clutch, TRD diff, Motec M800 with ADL dash,weldon pump, Penske 8600 shocks, stoptech F+R, TRD kit widened, 18-10 F 18-13 R Kinesis K28 polished and anodized black, 2 hose clamps on the car everything including boost is A/N,all ARP hardware (everywhere)...there is more but I am forgetting..last time on the dyno was 1070 at 40 psi...i wish i could share some picks but i guess in time..

Later Eric..
I'm seriously tearing up right now. That's my dream car right there. Custom DBB twins, widebody with function, 1000HP with trackability, a SENSIBLY sized exhaust (a rarity on a forum full of BL 4" on BPU cars), a Tilton, Motec running it all, Penske shocks, and enough cooling to keep it all in check. Am I wrong, or is this a different car thatn the one that made a name for itself at Buttonwillow in the other thread? That one seems to follow the description except for having a single, not twins. Also, was that 1070 at the wheels?

Ever considered a stroker kit for this beast? From what I've read, a 3.4L is a road racer's dream, and you seem to have a cooling system capable for the added heat.

Well, a friendly hello from someone who will be calling you a few years after I'm out of college. ;)

·
TRNSFST
890 Posts
Wow, from your pics it looks like you're running some pretty serious tires on that beast. Car looks great....welcome to SF:) That's quite a serious setup you have there.

Billy

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Great story and like Chris said, you're excitement and enthusiasm comes across pretty clearly.

I think some of you might be mixing up the Twins' Silver Supra described here with Steve A's which was discussed in that thread about how well he did on the track recently. Unless I'm totally whacked out, they are two different Supras.

·
TRNSFST
890 Posts
Nick 95 6sp said:
Great story and like Chris said, you're excitement and enthusiasm comes across pretty clearly.

I think some of you might be mixing up the Twins' Silver Supra described here with Steve A's which was discussed in that thread about how well he did on the track recently. Unless I'm totally whacked out, they are two different Supras.
Yup.. I think you're right bud.

Billy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes steve's car we built with a single mine is the twin turbo..and i am running 335-35-18 rear and 275-40-18 front...i will try to put some pics up and if not i can have someone put up a few..lets see....

·
TRNSFST
890 Posts
Eric..wow, the car looks amazing. So many nice parts on it, looks like almost everything was covered. Fuel filler's on the left now. The intake mani looks really nice. Those rear tires are some meats.

Can I ask, what front bumper and carbon lip is that? Also, what rollcage is in it?

Take care,
Billy

·
Registered
221 Posts
Twins Turbo

they are from the show on the history channel where they take cars and 2 teams buils them and the winner wins both.Am I correct in this statement if so I am clad to be in such presence and welcome you to the supraforums.

1989 supra targa n/s daily
1988 supra targa turbo weekend car

·
painted cf hood advocate
409 Posts
sweet, I love your custom TRD front bumper. I dont know if you drive the car out on the streets or not, but I'd love to see this car at one of our next S. Cal meet.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
I love that hood! I was lookin on your site how you guys mocked up that surge tank it was a pretty sweet how they are designed.

Are those custom fans and shrouds you guys produce? I know a lot of people that run the shrouded fans available to us and all seem to have some overheating problems from time to time.

And whoever asked it looks like they probably just bought a section of CF and cut it to fit. I know APR sells them as universal splitters on their site.

Alex

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
have you tried to drive the car on the track with that kind of power? I suspect the 1070 number is just a dyno number, not a track number, right?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well to answer a few Q's..the front splitter is NOT apr, it is custom made and about 3/8 " thick..the apr is more like 1/8" and will flex at high speed..

the fans use custom shrouds, and are not flexalite they are Spall's, which flow almost 60% more..i would not use FAL on any car with any power..we have no problems with overheating street cars even with conventional aftermarket aluminum radiators and our fan set up.

yes we are the guys from the history channel..makes mom proud to see us on TV so what the hell...

ooh and we have not driven it at 1000+ on the track...we did at 850, and our driver has never driven anything that accelerated like it did and he is a P.O.C guy and driving instructor 15+ years...but it beats the car up so baldy that i cant bear to put it through that many more times...that is why we built steves car, it is a dedicated race car.built to be beaten..not my dream car, which hopefully i will give to my kids one day... LOL....And Chris rado beates me up on a weekly basis for not driving it enough, so i hear it plenty allready thanks.....LOL..

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Ah I didnt know APR used that thin of CF for their splitters. I was mainly saying you guys prob did something similar and cut it yourselves. ;)

If someone were to want those fans just PM or email you? Or you dont technically sell them? LMK if i should delete this since it might be an infraction of the "rules" :rolleyes: . I thought of buying some Zirgo's, but if those are better then i'd rather go that route.

Looks like the entire front end has ducts going to either brakes or coolers, or both.

Alex

1 - 20 of 35 Posts