Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

first real race tonight. My buddy from highschool loves his mustangs and always talks shit how he's gonna beat me and how he should be hitting mid 12's etc. He saw my car when it had a boost leak and came to the conclusion he would take it no problem. Anyway, I fixed the boost leak (a bitch to get to) and added a downpipe so i was finally ready to go. I'm stock MKIV with a downpipe. He's got a 95 GT (5 litre) with headers, intake manifold, intake, catless exhaust, Vortech supercharged to about 7psi. Claims he makes at LEAST 400hp (maybe he meant crank). So we go to a little spot where our friends like to race probably 1000 ft long and right away i don't really like it because a supercharged 5 litre v8 0-70 ain't fun to race, but i said whatever lets do it. Now I'll be the first to admit i'm not the best auto launcher because sometimes I find ways to screw it up so i just pretty much mashed the pedal at the third honk. He says he dropped it at about 3k (5 spd). Surprisingly I was pretty damn even with him off the start, I was expecting him to jump to a decent lead. We're both spinning our tires through first and dead even. It was still even till about 4.5k rpm and then the second turbo kicked in and i built up a good car lead before we shut down at 75 or so. We stop, turn around and have another go. Same thing happened except he got a better launch and pulled ahead for a bit and I finally passed when my second turbo hit again. This time we shut down at 70 :( . I won by about a hood. After the race he wasn't as bad as I thought he would be about it. Complained a little about traction and his "shotty" injectors but other than that he was alright. I told him to get that fixed and then we'll race one of my spots where we can get a good 1/4 mile in.

Fun night and it's always nice to win :)

·
You serious?
2,999 Posts
dondz said:
I'm stock MKIV with a downpipe. He's got a 95 GT (5 litre)
I thought the 95's were the first year they used the 4.6 modular? :scratch:

Also, if he has what you claim, he would have absolutely RAPED you.

·
Team 10+ Year Member
3,510 Posts
95 is the year where they changed the body style, but they did indeed still have the old 5.0 motor.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: My Supra vs. 95 Supercharged GT Mustang

Formula1Vendetta said:

hey man i'm tellin you what the guy told me. The things I've actually seen with my own eyes are the supercharger, the intake manifold and the ram air intake.

I was expecting a good raping too at those distances. He claims he spun out all the way through 2nd and maybe he just can't drive the thing yet :dunno:

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Formula-96 was the first year of the 4.6 in a production mustang
Dan-94 is the first year of the "new" bodystyle sn95

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Endz0r said:
0-70 race? i do that everytime i merge onto the highway...
Yeah i know...I didn't like it either...On the other hand he just had his license taken away for a year so if he does anything it's 3 years now. I'd be paranoid too.

*edit* I guess we could find other spots but everytime I show him one he says "no too heaty"

S

·
0 Posts

Formula1Vendetta said:

LOL no.

96 was the first year of the TERRIBLE version of the sohc 4.6 (I had a 97 GT) They were slow as sh1t and without the PI heads/intake/cams from the 99+ GTs, their potential was REALLY held back...

Even if this guy had a blower on his 5.0, chances are he had a pretty lame mish-mash of parts and w/o a good setup/tune, and in his heavy car + traction issues (lots of low end torque) this guy could definitely hang with the stang. My 2000 GT with a vortech supercharger and a host of other mods only made 341rwhp. the non-cobra Mustangs don't make great power with just a blower slapped on.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^ yeah it is slapped together and hasn't been tuned. Also I looked up some of his posts on vancouvermustangs.com and he's had a gang of problems with it.

ex: compression test

#1- 105
#2- 112
#3- 109
#4- 115
#5- 112
#6- 115
#7- 114
#8- 107

Don't be too quick too call bullshit on some of these threads....If i wanted to be flamed I'd have posted it on HIS forum.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

jza80king said:
Maybe he ran out of room so they just raced to 75mph..
exactly.....why would i wanna stop just as I'm starting to walk him?

Y

·
0 Posts
dondz said:
He's got a 95 GT (5 litre) with headers, intake manifold, intake, catless exhaust, Vortech supercharged to about 7psi.
Good Kill!

Tell your friend not to be a girly man... 7psi ??

Tell hime to up it to 16 and get a meth injection kit...

·
Registered
904 Posts
Nice kill. Now if your car were full BPU w/high stall torque convertor and some bfg/mt drag radials? You would rape him so bad he would probably sell the car.:D
Tony

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^ that's the plan....at 19 tho money is an issue and i set aside 400 bucks a month for her....not much but hey, it's a start. Next is Max air box follwed by bcc and mbc. And the month after that I'll try to find a cheap used exhaust. Problem is, am i ever really going to be satisfied? When my boost leak got fixed I was like WOW this is fast and now it's like, I GUESS it's fast. Now I know what you guys mean by addicted to boost....

S

·
0 Posts
dondz said:
^^ that's the plan....at 19 tho money is an issue and i set aside 400 bucks a month for her....not much but hey, it's a start. Next is Max air box follwed by bcc and mbc. And the month after that I'll try to find a cheap used exhaust. Problem is, am i ever really going to be satisfied? When my boost leak got fixed I was like WOW this is fast and now it's like, I GUESS it's fast. Now I know what you guys mean by addicted to boost....
Yep, that's how it works...you're NEVER satisfied!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
dondz said:
I would get the bcc and mbc before the max air box. I don't think that thing is of much benefit. I know I did not gain any hp from this mod. You will have to toss it if you ever go single.After the bcc and mbc, get as free flowing of exhaust as possible(4in.). A person on a budget should not have to upgrade an exhaust again if going single.Get the IC upgraded last before going single.
Tony

1 - 20 of 33 Posts