Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Boost Junkie
12,625 Posts
Nice numbers. I bet it is a real joy to drive on the street.

Steve

·
MKIV intervention needed
2,997 Posts
thats encouraging, i have the same bl set up you have but havent done fuel or aem tuning. i want to run 500-600 hp and was questioning the viability of that with the 61. nice numbers.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
nice, congratulations.

but how do you/they know it was 684hp to the flywheel? Unless they had the motor out they didn't measure that so they must have estimated or guessed ...IMO they guessed wrong since the number I've always associated with the driveline losses of a typical 6sp Supra is over 15% loss, so even at just 15% loss and 607rwhp it would be 607/0.85 = 714hp

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nick, it is notified on the dyno Sheet 607 RWHP to the Wheel I don't know why the computer screen wrote 684 to the Flywheel.
The torque is the same, on the computer screen it is to the flywheel

I think 15% is an estimation, non?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Nice :), I'm hoping to be at that power level in '07.

·
200+mph
738 Posts
Dan 16s. Thats exactly what im talking about. You run 200 WHP less without it.

well race gas gives you the ability to run more boost. You wouldn´t necessarily produce more horsepower at the same boost level

let´s say you were running 18 psi on pump gas and producing 500rwhp it´s not like you would make extra 200rwhp just by putting race gas in on the same map and same boostlevel 18 psi

·
Registered
613 Posts
Congrats Steve, very nice numbers considering the turbo and a 0.68A/R.
The tuning must be real good:)

Take care,

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Nick, it is notified on the dyno Sheet 607 RWHP to the Wheel I don't know why the computer screen wrote 684 to the Flywheel.
The torque is the same, on the computer screen it is to the flywheel

I think 15% is an estimation, non?
In any case, what you get to the wheels is really the most practical measurement since that is what you put to the ground.

I don't know why their dyno sheet would refer to flywheel hp ...unless they just input a driveline loss number into the program and then the computer just calculates what flywheel power and torque would be from the measurements at the rear wheels.

In any case, since the 607 was measured at the wheels, you definitely have more than 700 at the flywheel. Yes, my 15% is also an estimate, but I'm pretty sure I am remembering this correctly that over the years there have been a few confirmations that the driveline loss is a little more than 15% for the 6sp. These must have been done when motors were dyno'd and then installed and wheel hp/tq measured.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Congrats Steve, very nice numbers considering the turbo and a 0.68A/R.
The tuning must be real good:)

Take care,
Hi Stephane,
Thks to Christophe, the car on the road is very impressive with this setup, and my YOKOHAMA A048R 275/35/18 burn in 3thr and 4th.
The wheater is not good too.

His car (Black Supra) dynoned last week on this same dyno but not a good number. Christophe should tune again his last car I think

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In any case, what you get to the wheels is really the most practical measurement since that is what you put to the ground.

I don't know why their dyno sheet would refer to flywheel hp ...unless they just input a driveline loss number into the program and then the computer just calculates what flywheel power and torque would be from the measurements at the rear wheels.

In any case, since the 607 was measured at the wheels, you definitely have more than 700 at the flywheel. Yes, my 15% is also an estimate, but I'm pretty sure I am remembering this correctly that over the years there have been a few confirmations that the driveline loss is a little more than 15% for the 6sp. These must have been done when motors were dyno'd and then installed and wheel hp/tq measured.
Ok ths Nick for this explication.
Is there some dyno that put the Hp to the flywheel in USA?

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts

It's very common of dynos in Europe to read flywheel hp. There is a calculation software in the dynos to get the readout. You make the pull and put the car on neutral and let the wheels and drive train to slow down the wheels. The dyno measures how much hp does it take for the wheels to slow down and it adds it to the wheel horse power figure.

Here's a pic that I found:

On top is the wheel horse power figure, and below is the calculated drive train loss. When they add those two together, you get an estimated flywheel horsepower figure. That is an old Bosch dyno, just to give you an idea. On newer dynos, the calculations are made automatically if the dyno operator prefers to give out flywheel figures.

Same thing here but on a newer dyno that calculates it automatically:

Green line is drive train loss and blue line whp. 206whp + 65.9hp = 272 fwhp

Hope this clears things up :)

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Interesting, thanks for the explanation, Krister. I'm still surprised they got such a low number for driveline losses with the Getrag 6sp.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts