Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 262 Posts

·
Stock Twins King
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got around re-configuring my Power Steering cooler (required after 3-Row install) so I could incorporate a 19-Row Oil cooler. So I came up with a "V"-Mount approach. I tested it today at a HPDE and my oil temps are now around 200-210 on a 78 degree day, 2 weeks ago I was getting real close to 230 degrees and decided it was time to install this thing. I Installed it "over" the drivers IC pipe. Since there isn't enough room to totally drop it down in the center of the opening, there is about a 1-1/2" gap. I may block it off, but for now it seems to work OK.

OIL COOLER PDF: (1.6 megs)---->http://97supraturbo.com/public_html/Oil%20Cooler/Oil%20Cooler%20Post/Oil%20Cooler%20PDF.pdf

NOTE: These are 7 year old prices, so they do not reflect current costs.

To buy your parts: You will need the following:
(2) 809010ERL $30.00 EA 90deg 10 AN For Oil Cooler
(2) 824510ERL $34.00 EA 45deg 10 AN For Sandwich Adapter

(1) MOCAL 180 Degree Sandwich adapter SP1T ¾”x16 $85.00

(1) 21910ERL (EP61910) $125.00 EA 19 row cooler (you can change this)--EDIT accidently listed a 8-AN before this change.
Overall Height (in): 5.875 in.
Overall Width (in): 8.250 in.
Overall Thickness (in): 2.000 in.
Cooler Construction: Plate
Cooler Material: Aluminum
Inlet Size: -10 AN
Inlet Attachment: Male threads
Outlet Size: -10 AN
Outlet Attachment: Male threads
Number of Cooling Rows: 19

(1) 350610ERL $60.00 Prolite 350 hose (6' pc--cut in half one 37" one 35")

This gives you the complete Oil Bypass/Oil Cooler Temp-a-Cure System

Total with shipping is about $400 (Good source for Earl's is http://www.fluidsystemsengineering.com/parts/home.php?xid=25b81a830214d7b8ed1e657563dee1bd

(Not mentioned....simple B&M PS Cooler BMM-70268 $50....7-1/2"x11"-3/4" thick)

·
Boost Junkie
12,480 Posts
Nice job. Thanks for posting that up.

Steve

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Wow, this will just make it too easy for me. I have a slot scheduled at a local garage to have an oil cooler installed and I'll just do the same thing. I've printed and read every thread here having to do with oil coolers so this seems like just the right setup.

Thanks again for all the development and sharing, Stu.

·
Stock Twins King
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks good Stu. Is there any reason you chose to put both coolers on that side of the car? I put my oil cooler on the passenger side. I was able to fit a setrab 9-25 (25 row x 16").

http://getboost.com/daniel/Pics/Resize of IMG_2368.JPG

Daniel
This would not work in my case because I have my air filter dropped down into that cavity already. Besides, I would prefer to not run that long of oil lines. It's all about what works, so if the way it is now cools my oil by 20 degress, I'm a happy camper (-:

Stu

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Now that I think further on this, since Stu's experience shows oil temps dropping 20F, I may have to look into fitting a larger cooler.

Can anyone comment on oil temp readings with sensors at different locations?

At my HPDE on May 5, my oil temps climbed to 280F so it seems like I need a lot more than 20F drop. My oil temp sensor is teed into the beginning of the oil feed line to the turbo. I wonder if the sensor can get heat soaked there vs. somewhat cooler away from the turbo on the filter side of the motor.

·
Stock Twins King
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that I think further on this, since Stu's experience shows oil temps dropping 20F, I may have to look into fitting a larger cooler.

Can anyone comment on oil temp readings with sensors at different locations?

At my HPDE on May 5, my oil temps climbed to 280F so it seems like I need a lot more than 20F drop. My oil temp sensor is teed into the beginning of the oil feed line to the turbo. I wonder if the sensor can get heat soaked there vs. somewhat cooler away from the turbo on the filter side of the motor.

Actually, that is a real good question. Same as where to put the water temp sensor. Upper or lower piping, lol!.

I have both my pressure and temp in the Lexus union bolt. Thats the bolt that holds the oil/water cooler to the block. Big sucker. Anyways, the Lexus as a 1/8" NPT female at the end of the bolt, whereas the Supra does not. That is where I get my readings. Basically, right off the center of the block.

280 seems real high. Over 230 starts to become a wear issue I thought. I would consider moving that sensor just for testing. What's your water temps at that point? I havnt reached 100C yet. Always under.

Stu

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Got it. I think you may have trouble with the 3-row as well. I have the 4-row and it sits a couple inches lower.

I need to do something like that for the air filter. Mine is stuck in the regular location.

FWIW I have my oil temp sensor in the sandwhich adapter. My thought is that I want to know what the temperature of the oil is after running through the engine.

Daniel

·
Boost Junkie
12,480 Posts
Stu.

What kind of filter is that?

Steve

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
nice job Stu! Didn't your temps drop more than 20 degrees? The last time we were out was a cooler day than Monday right? Maybe 10 degrees warmer on the 2nd?

Thanks for providing the parts list. :)

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Stu,
I have no aftermarket coolant temp gauge, but my "water temps" as shown by the stock engine temp gauge never budged off dead center and I never lost coolant or had to top it off etc. And after the session, coming into the pits and letting my car idle with the hood open until it cooled down, I didn't have a sense of "smokin' hot" as I've seen on some cars where the motor gets heat soaked super hot and the oil is smoking already.

Eric, of the TwinsTurbo family, responded to my similar comment here in another thread that he has personally noticed and heard from others that the stock engine temp gauge will sit dead center even when water temps were higher than you would like to see and that by that time oil temps were also elevated.

·
Fan of Stock Twins
249 Posts
Great thread, glad I found it. Getting ready to install a power steering cooler to replace the dinky one that came with my intercooler kit. May as well do the job right, right?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone collected enough data to plot the ambient air temperature gradient around the power steering core, setup like Stu Hagen's or SupraWood's?

Call me paranoid, but I want to put my cooler in a spot maximized for cooling efficiency. My power steering cooler core measures 5.75" by 11" x 0.75". I did some mock placements (where Stu located his) from under the car with the front bumper still installed, and I am curious if the cooler would be hindered by any kind of hot air recirculation or have a negative side effect on the air entering the intake manifold (due to close proximity to the intercooler pipe. I'm also curious if there would be enough heat to accelerate the wear of the electrical things nearby.

The passenger side air duct (where the stock intercooler used to sit) seems like it would be an ideal spot, but like Stu mentioned, the hoses would be long. That could cause another group of issues in itself.

Anyway, I was hoping to stir up some general discussion about the best place to locate the power steering cooler.

Thanks,
Alex

·
T-Power
1,624 Posts
Question...

Where can i find this
(1) MOCAL 180 Degree Sandwich adapter SP1T ¾”x16 $85.00 ???

Thanks,
John

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
<snip>
Eric, of the TwinsTurbo family, responded to my similar comment here in another thread that he has personally noticed and heard from others that the stock engine temp gauge will sit dead center even when water temps were higher than you would like to see and that by that time oil temps were also elevated.
I recently installed a 6-channel thermocouple reader in my car to log temperatures. I definitely concur with Eric's findings....the stock temp display is designed to make the owner/driver confident in the cooling system. Anywhere between 180-225°F the gauge never moved away from its "normal" position.

I also logged oil temps in the 230°F range. I already have the parts to put my oil cooler/t-stat together, but was waiting to duct it with the new bumper over the winter. It's nice having an oil temp gauge in the mean time. If it starts to get hotter than I like, I can just back down a notch.

In each case, the coolant temp rose to 180°F within the first warmup lap. The oil temps tended to lag behind, not reaching the same as coolant temps until 5-6 laps in. Eventually the oil tended to run 5-8°F hotter than the coolant for the rest of the session.

1 - 20 of 262 Posts