Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1 of 320 hardtopper
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm still working on my hid project, but so far so good. I decided to take some picture of the progress and share it with the SF community. Tell me what you guy think. ENJOY!

·
Fly Navy
589 Posts
Nice. I'm thinking of going TL's as well. I did a retrofit to my old '97 Prelude before I sold it. Turned a lot of ricers' heads with that one. :D

Question: are you keeping the high-beam bulbs along with your solenoid, or just taking the high beam bulbs out, or...? I'm wanting to go bi-xenon, but I want to keep the HID bulbs from flashing if I'm just using the highs to flash to pass or something. (day driving with headlights off for example) Turning HID bulbs on/off real fast = bad. Good luck with the rest of the retro!

·
1 of 320 hardtopper
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice. I'm thinking of going TL's as well. I did a retrofit to my old '97 Prelude before I sold it. Turned a lot of ricers' heads with that one. :D

Question: are you keeping the high-beam bulbs along with your solenoid, or just taking the high beam bulbs out, or...? I'm wanting to go bi-xenon, but I want to keep the HID bulbs from flashing if I'm just using the highs to flash to pass or something. (day driving with headlights off for example) Turning HID bulbs on/off real fast = bad. Good luck with the rest of the retro!
The high beam will be disconnected, since I need the high solenoid to activite the sheild in my projector. When I click on the high beam, the sheild in the projector will go down. Since there's no sheild infront of the bulb, the out put of the light will go way above the cutoff line. I hope I answer your question.

·
Probably at the track...
417 Posts
Excellent work there. Glad to see it turned out clean and professional.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
How did you manage to get the projector in there if you don't mind me asking.

·
1 of 320 hardtopper
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How did you manage to get the projector in there if you don't mind me asking.
I have to make a lot of brackets and test fit it while I'm aiming the light. I had to cut into the headlight, it's only a small hole, so I'll jb weld it.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Very nice! Lots of color you got there. I'm going to try to do a set of FX projectors soon. Got any pics of how you mounted them?

·
1 of 320 hardtopper
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Very nice! Lots of color you got there. I'm going to try to do a set of FX projectors soon. Got any pics of how you mounted them?
Fx projector with the tsx/s2k lens would be a killer combo. You shouldn't have any problem with the fx projectors since they're not as big as the tl projectors. I don't have any other picture except the one I posted up on this thread.

·
Fly Navy
589 Posts
im sorry but what is a retrofit? why is a retrofit better than hid?
A retrofit is HID. Let me break it down. :D

First of all, our headlights burn a filament, you know this though I'm sure. HID bulbs ignite a xenon gas. HID bulbs come in D2S/D2R and there's also D4S, but I don't know much about those. Long story short, lots of guys buy those plug-n-play HID kits, which use a rebased DS2 bulb to fit in the 9000-series plug. A D2S bulb is a lot different than a regular halogen bulb. Anyways, HID bulbs have different optic designs that regular bulbs, which means a halogen projector doesn't necessarily work well with an HID bulb. The characteristics are such that the light output is not always as good as it could be.

Yes, an HID kit in a stock halogen projector is better than stock, but it is not as good as an OEM HID setup, due to the different focal points of the bulbs, bowl design of the projector, lense design of the projector, et cetera.

So, a retrofit is taking the stock halogen projector out, and replacing it with an OEM HID projector, designed for a D2S bulb. The results are always better than HID + halogen projector.

...hope this made sense. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts