Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my ct26 needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

My goal is for a reliable turbo with quick spool up, therefore I'm don't think a large turbo is what I'd want. Correct me if i'm wrong.

I've been reading lots of threads on rebuilding the ct26 to .57trim. I got excited about it until about half the folks are happy with it and trust it's reliability & half does not. Sigh.

My driving habits are more for spirited driving, I do not race or go to the tracks.

So after countless hours of talking to Matt (my unofficial offical technical advisor) I have these questions that i'm hoping SF can help me understand and make the right decision(s).

My initial setup plans were:

- .57 trim
- Manifold from ebay [Matt will add extra bracing to the flange]
- BIC DP
- 3" high flow cat [for MD Inspections]
- Tanabe exhaust

The questions now are:

- Should I go with a T3/T4 type setup and a customm DP? If so what is a good recommended turbo and trim size I should be looking at for fast spool ups?

- What's everyone views on ebay manifolds? Besides needing more bracing? Anyone have pics of Ron's manis? I don't think I've seen one before.

- Any question about authenticity on ebay Tanabe exhausts??

- Do I really need a high flow cat to keep on passing MD inspections? If so, any recommended cats?

Fill in any gaps in my thought process of planning. And when you reply, please support your statement of why you said what you said.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
well first the CT26 wont bolt up to the ebay manifold...and then even if you got a adapter thingy made...then what about the oil lines?
you can use the stock manifold and its fine for what you want.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
the 57 trim is the most reliable out of all the ct26 upgrades. it all depends on who does the rebuild (MDC is a good one to send it to) .
Next as spoolme said the ct26 wont bolt up to a standard t4 ebay manifold, its a different flange.
Third: I havent heard of people copying tanabe's exhaust yet. i wouldnt sweat it.
fourth: yes you need a cat to pass inspection (visual) and you might not pass a sniffer depending.
fifth:get the 57 trim upgrade and be done with it. also look at zoon's dps as they are a higher quality metal than what BIC uses for cheaper.

hth

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
well first the CT26 wont bolt up to the ebay manifold...and then even if you got a adapter thingy made...then what about the oil lines?
you can use the stock manifold and its fine for what you want.

or he could use the ebay manifold and have someone brace it and buy a garrett 60 trim with a .58 a/r on the exhaust housing and call it a day then have someone make a custom downpipe for it and then he would have a nice t4 setup.

i can get all the welding and downpipe made for close to nothing.

if you had the chance to go with a full T4 setup for 6-700 dollars or rebuild the stock turbo for 550 and then still have to buy a downpipe what would you do.....

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts

if you had the chance to go with a full T4 setup for 6-700 dollars or rebuild the stock turbo for 550 and then still have to buy a downpipe what would you do.....
show me where you can get a FULL t4 setup for 6-700 dollars! a dp and manifold is like $300, wg - $150 ish, lines and fittings ~ $75 total so far = $525 w/o turbo.... so you can get a t4 .58 for $75-125?

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
show me where you can get a FULL t4 setup for 6-700 dollars! a dp and manifold is like $300, wg - $150 ish, lines and fittings ~ $75 total so far = $525 w/o turbo.... so you can get a t4 .58 for $75-125?

ebay manifold - 125
me bracing it - free
downpipe will cost whatever the piping cost
its less then 100 for the lines since i know what parts they are
wastegate have you ever looked on honda-tech theres tons and tons of them plus iv got a hookup at tempest racing
so now were left with 400 dollars for a used t4 60 trim thats not very hard to find.

and if you didnt know im Supra469 buddy Matt.

·
Chris Dickens
3,027 Posts
I would rebuild the CT-26 personally. Best bang for your buck.

A 57 trim with BIC divorced downpipe, and full 3" exhaust is a great set up. Add a boost controller, some fuel, maybe a maft or map ecu or something (been away a while, don't know what's cool) and you're spanking 80% of the cars on the road.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,210 Posts
or he could use the ebay manifold and have someone brace it and buy a garrett 60 trim with a .58 a/r on the exhaust housing and call it a day then have someone make a custom downpipe for it and then he would have a nice t4 setup.

i can get all the welding and downpipe made for close to nothing.

Why does it need bracing?

Does anyone have pics/firsthand experience with a 7M header cracking?

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,210 Posts
Brent: LOL yeah it's yet another Supra Myth going back to the first gen of cheap Chinese headers that weren't braced at all and used 1.5mm wall pipes... (current ones are 2.99mm pipes)

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Why does it need bracing?

Does anyone have pics/firsthand experience with a 7M header cracking?

iv seen two ssautochrome manifolds crack and on one the hole turbo fell off ill ask my buddy for some pictures but are you really going to trust your ssautochrome manifold.... its made out of thin metal unlike the full-race manifolds.

and why does it matter its not like im charging to do it.

mk3 people are so cheap even if its free your still going to complain about it.

i can get a hole t4 setup for supra469 for 700 dollars or he can get a 57 trim ct26 and a bic downpipe for the same price if not more. at least the t4 setup would be more reliable then the little ct26 with a huge compressor wheel.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
So you buddy has a cracked SSAC 7M header?
yeah its the first gen with the thin walls from about 3 years ago the style that didnt fit with the stock oil filter.

the point isnt about it cracking, i know the new ones dont crack i even have one but the point is that i was going to brace it for FREE, or ok fine i wont brace it who cares i sure as hell dont, you try to be nice and you get shit on for nothing thanks alot.

whatever im done do what you want supra469

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,210 Posts
Wow a bit sensitive there Matt!

My point is it doesn't need doing and your post implies there's still an issue.

I'm not shitting on anyone and as for me being a cheap Mk3 owner I have more $ in the head of my 7M than most guys have in their entire car so you might want to rethink that one as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts