Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Function over form
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on clubna-t.com but it is tough getting a lot of feedback there sometimes. It isn't the busiest forum.

I have a 1997 2JZ-GE auto. Here's what I'll be using for my low budget low boost NA-T setup...

Engine
Stock compression

Turbo
Turbonetics T66 Dual Ball-Bearing Turbo
XSPower Dump Tube
XSPower Turbo Manifold
TiAL 38mm Wastegate
TiAL 0.6 bar (8.7 psi) Spring
3" T-Bolt Clamps/Couplers
HKS SSQV and Recirculation Fitting w/hose (purple insert)
XSPower Polished Stainless Steel Down Pipe w/O2 Sensor Bungs
eBay Stainless Steel Midpipe with Gaskets
VeilSide Ti Exhaust
DaveH Teflon and Braided Stainless Oil Supply Line, Oil Return Plate, High Temp Drain Lines, Union Bolt, Flanges and Gaskets

Cooling
Precision Intercooler
Boost Logic Intercooler Piping (HKS BOV already mounted to cold side under passenger turn signal pipe)
Auto Tranny cooler

Electronics
Apexi AFC Neo
AEM UEGO Wideband Controller
GReddy 52mm Boost Gauge
HKS Twin Ignition
Twin Turbo MAP Sensor (???)
Toyota JDM 2JZ-GE Auto ECU (???)

Fuel
Stock 330cc Injectors
Denso 280lph Twin Turbo Fuel Pump
Fuel Return Line Kit
Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator

Ignition
Denso Iridium IK22 Spark Plugs (gapped at .028")
4Runner Distributor Cap, Wires

So my plan is to use this old T66 turbo I had laying around. Had it rebuilt. But my plans are to just run low boost (8-9psi) for now and have fun with that until I can afford a Boost Logic auto transmission to handle higher boost with a 1.3mm headgasket, bigger injectors and a standalone. I would also like to learn much more about the 2JZ and motors in general during this project.

Since I am only going to be using the SAFC Neo as a piggy back to the stock ECU what can I do for tuning? I've been hearing a lot of talk about blowthrough setups, MAF mods, stock JDM ECU which is MAP based already, using a TT MAP sensor for the SAFC, etc. etc. What do I need to do with the Neo for my car to run right at 8 psi and not stall? Where should I place my BOV? Is it ok on the cool side pipe under the passenger turn signal? I know there has been success with these basic setups for low boost. What if I use a Twin Turbo MAF and MAP sensor in place of the NA stuff? Will that help at all with tuning and stalling?

Will I NEED to recirculate my BOV for tuning and to avoid stalling? Will the Neo's anti-stall feature help any? If I can avoid recirculating the BOV I'd like to.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The best place for the bov is as close to the throttle body as you can. I do think you'll need bigger injectors very soon. Do you know how much that T66 flows at your projected 8 or 9 psi? You don't want to run lean, trust me.
Doesnt the forum have an na-t section? You might ask a mod to move your thread there. GL>

·
Master Yos
2,215 Posts
your set up sounds good however in my opinion I would just get a stand alone and save your self the stress.try to get some bigger injectors. and you shold be good to go with the blow off valve I never had any issues with it there and I was running 7.5 PSI for over a year.hope that helps

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
At 8-9psi, you'll be making over 300whp and that'll be very close to the max capacity of your fuel system. You should definitely use some bigger injectors! 680s woud be fine for low boost, but that's a huge jump and you may not have enough adjustment with your AFC. For the price of a used AEM, I think you should save yourself the trouble of trying to make the JDM ecu and piggyback work. My experience with piggybacks was not a good one, so that may be biasing my opinion! :)

Have others had success with the JDM n/a ecu on a boosted engine? Are you sure it'll accept anything above atmospheric? Do you know if that ecu uses a 1 bar MAP sensor or the TT's 2 bar? That could make very big difference!

On a MAP system, you can place the BOV anywhere you want. With a MAF or VAF system, you need to recirculate it.

You will not be using a air flow meter, so you'll just have the MAP. No need (and no wires!) for the TT MAF sensor.

The tuning question can be better answered when you find out what MAP sensor the JDM setup uses, 1 bar or 2, and what size injctors it uses. If they're 330cc/m, then you may not need much adjustment at all. Assuming that system is happy with boost, you'd need to add fuel for the "Hi" map on the AFC and keep the "Low" map around zero.

My advise, skip the piggy backs. I am SO much happier with the standalone. Since your plans are bigger in the future, it's almost inevitable you'll go with one sooner or later.

·
I rock like CRACK
1,010 Posts
I'll second or third the aem over piggybacks. By far worth it to spend the extra and do it right, you'll save yourself a ton of time and headache.

·
powered down
1,497 Posts
stand alone well help these problems but that is a big expense

·
Function over form
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stand alone well help these problems but that is a big expense
true. i am looking at $1800 for an aem. and then i hear the aem isn't even that good. makes me want to get an f-con and have it tuned in houston. since it sounds like that unit is good for any setup you throw at it.

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
true. i am looking at $1800 for an aem. and then i hear the aem isn't even that good. makes me want to get an f-con and have it tuned in houston. since it sounds like that unit is good for any setup you throw at it.
I've seen AEM EMS 30-1101 for our cars sell for $1,525 brand new with warranty.

·
Banned
2,187 Posts
I would go with the fcon aswell if i had the option. I think you should just get some ls400 injectors just for now so you wont be anywhere close to running lean at 8psi cause thats a prety big turbo you got there. Im also looking at the jdm ecu, they should work just fine with an afc being map based, just that finding it is a bit hard.

·
powered down
1,497 Posts
NO do not go V-pro. Unless you dont mind not being able to tinker with things yourself. Only authorized dealers through HKS can tune these with there software. Your best bet is PROEFI its great tuner system the user end software should be out soon. But thats just my suggestion. AEM is great to just doesnt have the ability to learn like the PROEFI does.

·
2JZ-Phantom
2,117 Posts
LOL, V-Pro is only for the 2jzgte motor not the 2jzge motor. Trust me, most of us would have went with V-Pro if we could on our NA-T application.

Just get the AEM, install your injectors get it tuned and you will be fine. Don't waste your time and money, trust me on this ONE.

·
Function over form
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
i have chosen to use the safc2 neo/hks vpc combo. i'll be using an MKIII chip for the vpc to help tune fuel for the LS400 400cc drop-in injectors. the vpc will eliminate the maf and allow for map-based tuning. i actually probably don't even need to upgrade the injectors for 8psi.

from my understanding so far, i shouldn't be stalling out with this setup since i'm losing the maf. it seems like all the people with the maf on an na-t have the stalling issues?

do i still need to recirculate my bov since i'm going to be using the vpc or can i let it vent to atmosphere?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Go Haltech E11v2 you can get them for around 1400-1600 new and you can get the adapter that plugs right into the factory harness if you want so not a lot of wiring. Easier to use than AEM and a lot less expensive than VCON Pro and you can tune it yourself rather than pay somebody a buttload of money to tune it every time Because you arn't allowed the software unless you are certified by VCON.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts