Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a set of 18" work equips. We got the tires mounted and put them on. When we started to lower the jacks I noticed that one tire was flat. Took the wheel back to the tire shop and they found out that the leak is coming from the screws that hold the wheel together. For those of you that have 3-piece wheels. Do you think that the silicone on the inside of the wheel has a leak? We are trying whatever we can. Do anyone know a shop that speacializes in 3-piece wheels? Plz help me!

Heres are pics of the leak.

·
11,219 Posts
I don't see why the bolts would cause a leak. The (many) bolts hold the spokes to the wheel.

Anywho, I think there's a thread in the MKIV FAQs concerning where to fix wheels nationwide. Try one of them shops.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Those bolts actually hold all 3 peices together; the center, and BOTH rim peices.

If you remove the tire, you will see a bead of silicone all the way around the wheel where the 2 rims meet. They are just pressed together by hand and the center peice and bolts hold it all in place.

If you want to ship the wheel, I would suggest on calling up http://www.ccwheel.com/ . Since this doesn't look like a CCW wheel, check and see if they would be up for taking it apart and re-sealing it for you.

You can also di it yourself. I did mine. You can get the commercial grade Silicon calking from Home Depot. You'd need someone to remove and re-mount the tire when your done. It is a major pain to get the 2 rim peices apart, but once your do, you can use a razor knife to clean the silicon off, wash it all done clean and then re-apply some silicone after the wheels is put back together. Be sure to torque the center bolts down to about 35-40ft lbs.

If you remove the tire, you should also be able to see if the silicone has be tamperd with, or mucked up around that area where the leak is.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ thanks alot that was a great help!

I just got off the phone and they said it was most likely the seal. I think ill just do it at home. But is it really trust worthy? These wheels will go out of town sometimes and I dont want any problems in the middle of no where.

·
Bad Texan Boy
4,266 Posts
You can ship it to SABS (Super Auto Body Shop). I hit the curb with my wheel and I saw my wheel polished lip was damaged badly. So, I took it to SABS for repair and it was complete in one day and cost me $100. Many Houston people rather take their wheels to this shop for repair.

Good luck

·
Bad Texan Boy
4,266 Posts
^^^
Hmm I took the two wheels to Wheels America when I got SP-1 because it was bent but I was too late if FedEX damaged it.. my loss, oh well. So, they fixed it pretty good.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Do you own an MKIV?

Do you own an MKIV, if so please post up pictures please...I also have Work Equips!

Later,

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry no supra:( . Anyways I think im ganna go ask the local wheel repair shop before i do anything out of town. If they cant do it then ill try it at home. IF that doesnt work the ill call SABS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts