Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Unchained
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi kids, I have a question regarding a mystery number located as the last line on the VIN label attached to the door. It reads No.XXX, I've seen it on every Supra and asked many a person but no one can identify the meaning of this number. I can only guess that this is either the production number or the USA import number (the number of cars imported into the USA that given year).

Now I know the general consensus is that the production number is the last 5 or 6 numbers of the VIN but other things lead me to believe this number has a tie to the production designation as well.

Another thought for this number is that it could be a designation of the model and it's place in the sequence of that model type.
1. TT 6sp hardtop
2. TT 6sp targa
3. TT auto targa
4. NA 5sp targa
5. NA auto targa
.....etc. etc.
May also have something to do with it's model type and the color.

My VIN label reads No.002 at the bottom. The production date is also 4/93, a full MONTH earlier than the official beginning of the production run. Sabrina is a Black, tan leather, TT, 6sp, hardtop. I can only assume that this may mean I could possibly have the second Supra imported into the States or quite possibly the second Supra to roll of the production line!

Attached is a picture of the VIN label and the location of the number in question.....last couple of numbers in the VIN have been blocked out for my protection. If anyone knows the meaning of this mystery number please speak up, I'm sure many people would be interested in knowing the answer.

I've learned half of what I know from the worst teacher going, experience.
Scott

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 93 silver auto TT with a manufacture date of 6/93. My number is #363. You may very well have the 2nd beast made. Would be very cool indeed.

This may only be #2 in the states though, or at a certain assembly line. Im not sure at all in this respect, only my guess. But if I were a Japanese automaker based in Japan, my first good bit of cars would come from the Japanese assembly lines and be Right Hand Drive. Kind of a country pride thing. I wouldnt see Ford rolling out their second ever new model Mustang in Brazil or Uganda, it would be in the good ol USofA.

Im rooting for you though, #2 would be a nice bragging right.

Bob

F

·
0 Posts
07/93 #303 1993 6-speed targa (formerly red)

....maybe if you get enough peeps to list their digits, you will be able to reverse-engineer their true meaning. :coolk:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
5/93 ... #943 I guess that cant possibly be the production number if mine was created before some of the others and has a higher number! :D

·
Unchained
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any other ideas as to the purpose/identity of this number?

CHEERS!!
Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts