Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after the most recent storm I noticed a slight smell of rain water inside my car but didnt think anything of it. I thought maybe it was the vents or some excess water in my door jams or whatever. Keep in mind my Supra is always garaged and is driven 3-4 times a week. I happened to drive it twice during the whole week it rained. Other than that it sat in my garage...

A couple days after I started my car and reached for my cd case on the floor behind my driver seat and felt the carpet under the rear seat was moist! I get out and feel around and find the rear seat cushion is also moist. I shut down my car and pop out the rear seat and find the seat cushion is soaked with rain water! I take it out completely along with the rear seat backing and i find 2 little puddles of standing water in both the rear seat indentations where the seats go! Whats also weird is that I went to take out everything in my trunk to inspect and everything is dry EXCEPT the terminals of my subwoofer and the carpet directly underneath it. There was condensation on the terminal housing and the little 3"x3" patch of carpet under it was slightly moist. The subwoofer wires ran through my carpet and ran in between the soaked seat cushion and puddle under it.

EVERYTHING else was completely dry with no sign of being wet. Rear hatch carpet is all dry including spare tire comparement and surrounding foam, everything from front seats forward is also dry, the ceiling/roof and targa weather stripping is all dry. There are two rubber grommet plugs underneath the rear seat cushion that I see no use for and is the only culprit of the cause of soaking my rear seats. I tested it by pouring half a bottled water over the grommet and watched to see if it leaked out underneath the car but it didnt. After 15-20 minutes of sitting there was no sign of it leaking out, I checked the cement underneath the car and was completely dry. I used my shammy to clean up with no idea what caused the standing water. How the hell did water get in there but cant get out?!?!...

Has anyone ever had this problem? And no nothing spilled on the seats or anything like that. I dont let anyone drink in my car and no one has sat in the rear seats in over 6 months. I dont keep anything in my rear seats or trunk except for a small 10" sub box. A friend of mind had an explanation as to how the sub box terminal and the little patch of carpet got wet underneath it. He said since the wires ran under the carpet and in between the water and soaked rear seat, the current might have pushed condensation through to the trunk and to where the wires end at the terminal. Is this possible?? So far I am completely stumped and will not be putting in the rear seats until I find the problem...

I searched and searched and couldnt find any related threads or posts. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
773 Posts
As above.

Jack your car up. Just below the front part of the rear seats are 40mm (or so) holes that are supposed to have rubber grummets keept nasty things out. One in each side. I recently found my own having moved them selves quite a bit and have probaly sat there for some time. Didn't find any water damage though...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hi

Squirting honeys?

·
Registered
399 Posts
very intresting because last week, I found that my passenger seatbelt got complete wet and also couldn't find how that is possible. I haven't yet pulled my seats out and the rear panels. Hopefully someone can shed light to your question as i'm have a similar issue.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Angry girlfriend maybe?!?!
Squirting honeys?
LOL I'd hate to "piss" off the girls that you guys mess with!

No missing grommets (rubber) from underneath the car? Is it wet anywhere around your rear suspension mounts?
Before i posted i completely stripped in rear half of my car: rear seats, seat backing, hatch carpet, wedge sub box, spare tire, foam... and nothing else was wet including the area near rear suspension mounts. I didnt notice any loose or missing rubber grommets from the inside. The ones i did see, I tested to see if it would leak out and they didnt...

As above.

Jack your car up. Just below the front part of the rear seats are 40mm (or so) holes that are supposed to have rubber grummets keept nasty things out. One in each side. I recently found my own having moved them selves quite a bit and have probaly sat there for some time. Didn't find any water damage though...
40mm?! Thats almost 2inches is it not? Thats a pretty big hole! Are you talking about the two holes/grommets directly underneath the rear seat cushion? Because those two are the only rubber grommets I saw in that vicinity which are no larger than an inch. Those are both in place and tested and seemed fine.

Or are you referring to grommets underneath the main passenger compartment carpet where rear passengers feet touch the floor? I just realized I have not checked underneath the main carpet behind the front seats. I wouldnt think it could cause a puddle of water under the seat cushion area that is elevated 10"+ above and behind it? I will try to jack up my rear end and inspect the undercarriage this weekend. This is the only thing i havent looked at.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very intresting because last week, I found that my passenger seatbelt got complete wet and also couldn't find how that is possible. I haven't yet pulled my seats out and the rear panels. Hopefully someone can shed light to your question as i'm have a similar issue.
our cali cars... im telling you... they are not used to this heavy rain! im surprised no one else has had this problem considering other cities/states/countries have worst weather conditions compared to california...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Did you check the seals around the hatch. maybe take a garden hose and start at the hatch and work your way around the targa. you might have a leak up there.

·
Registered
773 Posts
40mm?! Thats almost 2inches is it not? Thats a pretty big hole! Are you talking about the two holes/grommets directly underneath the rear seat cushion? Because those two are the only rubber grommets I saw in that vicinity which are no larger than an inch. Those are both in place and tested and seemed fine.

Or are you referring to grommets underneath the main passenger compartment carpet where rear passengers feet touch the floor? I just realized I have not checked underneath the main carpet behind the front seats. I wouldnt think it could cause a puddle of water under the seat cushion area that is elevated 10"+ above and behind it? I will try to jack up my rear end and inspect the undercarriage this weekend. This is the only thing i havent looked at.
I seem to remember them being about 40mm. Just messed around with them a few month ago. But it's probably the ones you found. I remember there being some yellowish foam just inside the hole. They are very easy to spot.

If I were you, I would take out a seat and check for water damage under the carpet.

Also, I remember my old MKIII targa had some issues with the targe seals. That lead to water being able to flow behind the interior plastics and down to the floor cause a puddle. Don't know if that is possible on the MKIV. mines a hardtop.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I had a similiar problem with my Targa Top When I first got it. When it was cold and wet you would have to make sure to tighten up the 4 bolts after you warmed up your car. After so long no matter how few miles you drive it. Seals will go bad and this year has been pretty bad everywhere with the tempatures flying up and down.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I know this is an old thread but i was wondering if anyone ever figured out the cause since I just had this EXACT same problem yesterday.....

·
Registered
349 Posts
Well I had the seatbelt problem, and it was due to the Targa top being loose.

Check that first, I'm not sure if the OPs car is a Targa.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts