Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed my 5spd to 6spd swap, found that the n/a axles from the 5spd worked. Just thought I'd let you guys know before buying axles that you dont
have to have. I did use the 6spd diff,drive shaft,slave cylinder,trans mount. I also found out the 5spd lower crossmember did not fit (it did not line up with all four bolts) used only two bolts for now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,184 Posts
michaelvanle said:
Wait... so you switched to a 6 speed tranny AND diff? I thought you have to switch over the driver's side axle or something?
The axle on the drivers side is shorter for the 6spd. 547.5mm for 6spd and 553.5mm for auto. Not sure how you'd get the auto one to work.
 

·
Over Medicated
Joined
·
2,718 Posts
You better check your alignment out before you start driving that thing. That 5mm might not seem like alot until your driving down the highway at 80 and it starts shaking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would it change the alingment? it has no effect once so ever with changing any of the alignment points. There is still alot of play in the axle....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,184 Posts
twincharge said:
Why would it change the alingment? it has no effect once so ever with changing any of the alignment points. There is still alot of play in the axle....
Hey twincharge, that axle is the last thing I need for my complete 6spd swap. With the auto axle the end would stick out 6mm further from wheel hub. That's not causing any problems for you? Thanks for sharing, I may just use my auto axle then.
 

·
feeding your habit
Joined
·
4,015 Posts
FYI, the axles have 20mm of travel (length of the axle changes 20mm) You may find you run into problems when your suspension travels to it's extremes. What is likely to happen is the cv poriton (the balls) will get mashed and your axles will get shot. Not the worst thing though, what youre also likely to do in that case is overload the wheel bearings and the diff carrier bearings.

This may or may not happen... but it could. You should check this by taking the shock out and jacking that wheel up and having it travel thru its full range while you move the axle (along it's axis). If at any point it is travel limited, then you will need to get the correct axle or you will damage the axle, and the bearings in the diff/spindle. The wheel bearing is a big PITA to change. The diff bearing is 50x the PITA that the wheel bearing is as it requires readjusting the lash of the ring/pinion gearset to do it right.

please drop the shock, put a jack under the wheel and move the wheel along its full suspension travel and let us know the minimum travel the axle has. This would be great to know since many of us have done this and bought the axle. If it were not needed it would be an easier swap, with less expense.

I'm going to bet that you will be "deflection limited".

-M
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will do that today. I did have the car on a hoist when I did the swap. The axle had play in that position. I found that when I lowered the car it had more play than it did in the air....I used my 5spd axles not auto axles, they may be the same I will have to check part numbers. I do know 6spd axles are thicker than 5spd so dont get me wrong.
 

·
I rock like CRACK
Joined
·
1,010 Posts
Yeah you can make the wrong axles work but like 98mkiv said you may run into trouble at the upper end of your suspension travel range.
 

·
'95 SC300 2jzgte/T78
Joined
·
1,719 Posts
I thought the driveshaft was diff but if not excellent! So basically all thats need'd is the tranny and a the TT's drivers side axle (just to be safe)?
 

·
feeding your habit
Joined
·
4,015 Posts
texasmr2 said:
I thought the driveshaft was diff but if not excellent! So basically all thats need'd is the tranny and a the TT's drivers side axle (just to be safe)?

reread the thread.... NO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,184 Posts
Dubai_turbo_dreams said:
no body mention auto

it's from 5spd to 6spd so no need to change

i am using it for about an year nothing happened
The N/A has the same rearend for auto and 5spd so the axles are the same as well. The drivers side axle is the same length for all n/a's and automatic turbo, the 6spd is the only one that's different length. Also, like said above, the turbo models axles are a little larger diameter (stronger).

texasmr2 said:
I thought the driveshaft was diff but if not excellent! So basically all thats need'd is the tranny and a the TT's drivers side axle (just to be safe)?
Driveshaft for n/a is completely different! You will NOT get it to work, I promise.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,747 Posts
98mkiv said:
FYI, the axles have 20mm of travel (length of the axle changes 20mm) You may find you run into problems when your suspension travels to it's extremes. What is likely to happen is the cv poriton (the balls) will get mashed and your axles will get shot. Not the worst thing though, what youre also likely to do in that case is overload the wheel bearings and the diff carrier bearings.

This may or may not happen... but it could. You should check this by taking the shock out and jacking that wheel up and having it travel thru its full range while you move the axle (along it's axis). If at any point it is travel limited, then you will need to get the correct axle or you will damage the axle, and the bearings in the diff/spindle. The wheel bearing is a big PITA to change. The diff bearing is 50x the PITA that the wheel bearing is as it requires readjusting the lash of the ring/pinion gearset to do it right.

please drop the shock, put a jack under the wheel and move the wheel along its full suspension travel and let us know the minimum travel the axle has. This would be great to know since many of us have done this and bought the axle. If it were not needed it would be an easier swap, with less expense.

I'm going to bet that you will be "deflection limited".

-M
I'm with stupid
 

·
Anime Dork
Joined
·
5,315 Posts
twincharge said:
Just completed my 5spd to 6spd swap, found that the n/a axles from the 5spd worked. Just thought I'd let you guys know before buying axles that you dont
have to have. I did use the 6spd diff,drive shaft,slave cylinder,trans mount. I also found out the 5spd lower crossmember did not fit (it did not line up with all four bolts) used only two bolts for now.

wow i didn't think this swap was possible. anybody have more info on this?
 

·
feeding your habit
Joined
·
4,015 Posts
saiyajinimports said:
wow i didn't think this swap was possible. anybody have more info on this?

search... this is what all NA owners aspire to... (myself included).

6 speed with TT motor and a nice single kit.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Left axle

Removed left rear shock, put suspension through complete range of motion. The axle had enough play and will work fine. Anybody that says you have to change the axles to six spd axles is on CRACK!. The only reason I see to change to 6spd axles is if you need thicker axles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,184 Posts
twincharge said:
Removed left rear shock, put suspension through complete range of motion. The axle had enough play and will work fine. Anybody that says you have to change the axles to six spd axles is on CRACK!. The only reason I see to change to 6spd axles is if you need thicker axles.
That's great news, thanks twincharge!
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top