Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been reading on manual swaps. sounds to me, everyone that did the swap or wanting too is already turbo. sence my car is a N/A auto and have a R154 complete parts car. is the swap straight forward like the W58? and is the wireing to get everything to work the same as i been reading? plus, maybe a month or 2 after the swap, i'll be replaceing the GE with the GTE. i wanna do the manual swap first cause i need more experience in driveing a manual before i start seeing boost. so i wont screw anything up.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
as far as the car is concerned, there isn't a diff between the W58 and the R154...both are manual trans and have no wiring....if you have a parts car, there is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yup should be straight forward. I did the same now on 2 of my cars. Only thiing is if you have ABS you have to rewiring on the speed sensor on the back of the r154 to get it to work . If I remember correctly the plugs on the harness' are different. All the wires colors are the same so just snip the connector and splice in some butt connectors. If you are abs less then disregard my post. Later and best o luck, matt

·
Project Mayhem!!!
789 Posts
LET ME MAKE SURE I`M READING THIS CORRECTLY (I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE/QUESTION):

A R154 CAN BE SWAPPED DIRECTLY INTO AN N/A CAR W/ AUTO TRANNY.....

......I ALSO HAVE A 89 N/A AUTO AND WANT TO GO MTM. I`VE GOT AN 88 TURBO W/ A ROD KNOCK COMPLETE DONOR CAR W/ 5SPD, SO I SHOULD HAVE ALL THE CONVERSION PARTS.....CORRECT?!?

TRANS...
LSD REAR END....
DRIVESHAFT....
MASTER & SLAVE CYL.....

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
bryan in texas, if you're going to do all that work to swap a manual into a perfectly fine n/a, why not expend the effort to get your turbo motor rebuilt? you'll have a daily driver until then, anyways, right?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
YES YOU WILL HAVE ALL THE PARTS

Please don't use all caps.

But yeah, you can use all the manual parts from the turbo car. The speedo pinion gear should be used from the N/A though, don't know if the auto gear will fit in the manual tranny.

·
Project Mayhem!!!
789 Posts
I have a turbo car already, (other than the donor car) I just "HATE" the nasty auto in my n/a and have the chance to get the donor car for next to nothing! Not to mention all the other parts I`ll have from the donor car if I decide to go gte in the n/a later on. My n/a has a fresh HG (not even 500 miles) and runs well! I don`t want to get rid of a perfectly good running engine! Anyway.....just looking to get out of the auto tranny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts