Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i just bought a 99 lexus gs300 and was hoping yall could help me out since there arent that many good information forums about my car. the motor is a 2jz - ge so its the same as the N/A mkiv supra motor, right..? im wanting to put a singe turbo on it and i am not familiar with the motors at all. whats a safe amount of boost to run on this motor everyday without popping it and how many rwhp would that relate to? i remember a few of my old TT supra friends saying they arent very realiable once u start adding turbos and such. id apperciate any information or tips from those who know about running boost on this same motor. im just looking for a simple setup to keep the driveablity good, so other than turbo i dont really have any plans.

thanks

Tripp

·
11,219 Posts
If it's the same, you can prob boost up to 10psi. What rwhp that equates to depends on your setup, but it should easily be ~360rwhp if done right.

You might want to check out clublexus.com

I know some of the GS owners over there have turboed their GS300, and 400 as well.

·
looking for another Supra
1,890 Posts
First off, don't listen to your TT friends. The 2jz-ge motor is a beast just like the 2jz-gte. in the long run if you turbo both they will hold power. As goes for any car once you start modding realibility goes down.

For starters a base turbo kit on stock compression should put you at around 340rwhp at the most. This would be with the 8 psi setting for stock compression. You could run some higher octane and turn up the boost a couple pounds but it wouldnt be safe.

but basically you'll be adding about 100+whp regardless and that is good for 5-8 psi of boost. I would suggest adding the 2-3mm headgasket and even ARP headstuds to make it really safe and you can run as much boost as your turbo and fuel system can take basically. Then generally you would be hitting 400-500rwhp with most of the kits available. The tranny wont hold that much though so if you dont plan on doing something about that just stay at the 5-8psi level.

Contact Kevin at NAPerformance.com. He will help you out. He's a good friend of mine and I go to him for all my turbo needs and majority of the na-t community does too.

If you need anything else feel free to ask...........

-Ray

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stock compression is around 10.5 right? swapping heads and pistons is the best way to lower compression correct?

thanks guys i really apperciate all replies

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,268 Posts
This all depends on your goals and budget. The 2jz, whether the gte or ge, are just as strong as the other, give or take, so if you have the money there is no reason why you couldn't be DDing a 500-600+hp beast.

Things the NA will need are the same things the TT needs when looking at high hp... fuel, compression, controllers and power transfer. Thus, you will need larger injectors, lower compression, fuel and boost controllers and a built auto or clutch kit with the 6speed (5 speed for around 400whp or less).

If you have the money, pt61 boost logic or DaveH kit with a 2mm headgasket, larger injectors and AEM at 1 to 2 bar will give you 350whp to over 500whp, being concervative.

·
looking for another Supra
1,890 Posts
well shit, 10 to something. its still damn high lol. yes though doing the internal work would make it the right way to drop compression but not much do it. the headgasket with head studs has been proven very reliable. trust me if anything goes wrong it wont be with the gasket. dave henry has been na-t since 97. stock internals. May i remind everyone his 1/4 is in the single digits. come on people.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im not trying to go over 450 rwhp. i want to keep this daily driven with a little problems as possible. i want a turbo to make it easy to pass annoying cars. do turbo applications for the GTE fit the GE?

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,268 Posts
Elite SS said:
im not trying to go over 450 rwhp. i want to keep this daily driven with a little problems as possible. i want a turbo to make it easy to pass annoying cars. do turbo applications for the GTE fit the GE?
GTE products don't fit the GE engine because of a difference in bolt pattern. Also, the ge uses low impedence top fed injecters instead of high impedence side fed like the TT.

If you want reliability then don't boost high and go with a large turbo. If you want 450rwhp performance with lower rpm boost then get a smaller turbo and boost higher, but because of this you may want higher octane or lower compression or timing changes, etc to make it more reliable. The larger turbo means you won't use it around town as much, but can kick it in when you need it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I know that the 93.5-96 supra have 10:1 and the 97-98 has 10.5:1.
The best performance for your project would be TT piston and rods,inj,headgasket and headstuds, and you can push it to 500 whp without any problems but the tranny is weak and it will not hold verylong in the 500whp range

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,268 Posts
Also.... IMO, 450rwhp is doable, really easily, but if you don't want as much down-time, headaches or hic-ups then take my advice and do it right, if you have the money...

If you are auto get the boostlogic on another built tranny and swap in the auto TT LSD. If you are manual then swap in the 6speed, differencial, custom driveshaft, etc. This way you have the reliable equipment and best gearing.

Then the pt61 sounds best for you. Get the DaveH or Boostlogic kit with full downpipe and 3'' exhaust. Get the 2mm headgasket and ARP headstuds installed. Get a Walbro in the trunk and some larger injectors in the fuel rail, and I would recommend AEM or map ECU over a simple AFC. Get it fully tuned and IMO, you shouldn't ever have a concern again.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what are the main differences between a single and twin turbo?

like is one better from a stop and the other for hwy use?

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,268 Posts
Elite SS said:
what are the main differences between a single and twin turbo?

like is one better from a stop and the other for hwy use?
The biggest difference between the stock TT and a small/med single is the stock tt is in sequencial mod meaning one turbo then two turbos if the rpm's exceed a certain level. I have my car in true twin turbo, meaning the sequencial system is removed and all i have is two small turbos, which is like one med sized turbo, but not completely.

From what Ken Henderson says, and I haven't seen the data, single turbos don't spool as fast as two turbos; ie, if you could in theory cut a turbo in half and make two turbos from it, in theory, they (the single and the set of twins) would both hit 1 bar at the same time/rpm/etc and spool the same, but this isn't the case. From what Ken says, twin turbos spool faster.

Considering all of the above, the sequential will be the best off the line, the twins will be next and the single last, if all else is equal, but I believe the single may be able to have a higher max psi... regardless of that fact, it isn't something you would be considering, whether a set of twins can't go past 2bar for instance.

·
BoostAddict4Life
2,012 Posts
in theory yes, praticality no. the stock tt twins manifold is ineffective; granted its still nice hehe. single setups can spool just as fast or much faster then stock twins with the right variables.

a t-66 spools faster then the stock twins but will push more power. other BB turbos do as well. my PT61 spools at 4k through the inefficent daveh mani, sorry dave just the truth, tuning can alter the spool charateristics, cams, valves and other things can alter it as well.

theoretically twins SHOULD spool faster, praticality they dont, they make more heat. circular momentum and all that bs of I*w and blah blah blah.

·
Registered
946 Posts
inefficent daveh mani, sorry dave just the truth
Yup you are right about that,I myself am building one for the NA-T ,it does look ugly but it should flow very damn good, I did alot of research into this manifold almost 1 year research and trials and error but finnaly i'm almost done.

I e-mail DaveH about my intake, Nothing personal or taking glory for my intake, it's true a box type of intake will not work any good. I must say that DaveH intake is damn sexy Though great for car shows.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lowering the compression on these motors to rub boost safley can be acheived through adding thicker head gaskets and some apr head studs? i didnt see any pistons in there. i found this kit through a lexus is 300 forum but i didnt want to put the link up because i wasnt sure if it would conflict with sponsors, and i cant afford the kit which is around $8k and some change. i didnt think it was that easy to lower compression.

divided pulse cast-steel exhaust manifold, 45mm SS TurboSmart wastegate, Turbo Smart Blow off valve, 60-1 Hi Fi series turbocharger, 3" mandrel bent SS downpipe back to the rear axle, 3" High flow catalytic converter, Custom Cool Charge air intake systen with K&N Hi Flow filter, high volume fuel pump upgrade · Custom Electromotive TEC³ engine management system. · PFS Electronics Interface Module · Silicone hoses, clamps, heat shields, and all additional components required for a successful installation as well as a 3mm metal head gasket, Turbosmart boost controller, large front mount intercooler with 2.5" stainless steel piping kit and larger fuel injectors. This lowers the static compression ratio to a boost-friendly 8.6:1 for more horsepower output on pump gas.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
Elite SS said:
hey guys i just bought a 99 lexus gs300 and was hoping yall could help me out since there arent that many good information forums about my car. the motor is a 2jz - ge so its the same as the N/A mkiv supra motor, right..? im wanting to put a singe turbo on it and i am not familiar with the motors at all. whats a safe amount of boost to run on this motor everyday without popping it and how many rwhp would that relate to? i remember a few of my old TT supra friends saying they arent very realiable once u start adding turbos and such. id apperciate any information or tips from those who know about running boost on this same motor. im just looking for a simple setup to keep the driveablity good, so other than turbo i dont really have any plans.

thanks

Tripp
Your engine has the 2JZ-GE VVT-i motor. It is significantly weaker than the older engines. Read my thread about my setup. What everyone told you above only applys to a certain extent because of that.

Also... the kits out for your car are really overpriced. You can piece them together for a helluva lot cheaper. TurboEast charges 8 grand for a basic NA-T kit with an upgraded turbo, 550 injectors, 2mm headgasket. The kit doesn't even have standalone. Talk about ripoff.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
ToMuchBoost said:
I know that the 93.5-96 supra have 10:1 and the 97-98 has 10.5:1.
The best performance for your project would be TT piston and rods,inj,headgasket and headstuds, and you can push it to 500 whp without any problems but the tranny is weak and it will not hold verylong in the 500whp range
why would you change to TT pistons and add a thicker headgasket? do one or the other, not both, it's really not needed

Supra SONIC said:
GTE products don't fit the GE engine because of a difference in bolt pattern. Also, the ge uses low impedence top fed injecters instead of high impedence side fed like the TT.
I think you got it back asswards ;) the TT uses the side fed low impedence, the NA are the high impedence. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts