Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at a nice 89 Cressida for a beater car for my mother(if she doesn't want it I will take it) with 79Kon it. Eats a little bit of coolant(blown headgasket). Doesn't overheat. Factory options? Book value? Reliability of 7MGEs??

Thanks

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
http://server.oldversion.com/~admin24/
http://www.thermactor.com/forum
Book value might be around a grand. It depends on what shape the body is in, and how many miles are on it. Factory options included a CD player, power moonroof, ABS, and leather seats and interior surfaces.
Do the customary up-down check for rust. The 7M-GE is a reliable motor if it's been taken care of. Since the one you're looking at has a blown head gasket, I'd look at just putting a JDM 7M-GE in there with a fresh head gasket. That way you won't have to worry about the bottom end giving out later on because of the car being run on the BHG - oil and coolant do not combine to make a good lubricant, and Cressida owners usually drive their cars forever on blown head gaskets. This equates to decreased long-term bearing life, so you might have knock later on.
Great car, though. Much tighter steering radius than the Supra.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
Car has 79K on it which is nothing. I will offer the guy a grand for it. Body is in great shape(white with red leather). Has CD,the roof with deflector and leather(not sure about ABS)

3,796 Posts
I had an 86 Cressida wagon with 210k miles on it. It drank a quart of oil now and then but it ran great and I never had any poroblems with it. Id definitely buy another (and drop my 7M in it;) ).

·
Registered
14 Posts
maybe u should look around more..i bought a 89 cressida for 350 dollars with body in pretty good shape and interior pretty nice with leather,cd and sunroof. saw it on the side of the road with a for sale sign and called the owner and got a great deal. eat a little oil from time to time and has 110,000 miles.great car overall

·
My fuel pump precedes me
346 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good deal if it's clean. It's a shame they aren't worth more, my '92 Cressida has 120k on it and is in perfect shape aside from some peeling clearcoat and I couldn't get $2500 for it when I tried to sell it last year. My family has owned it since new and all we've done to it other than maintenance stuff is replace the valve seals and the starter. At $1000 you could probably get it up and running with a JDM motor for less than $1600, I think Osaka still has JDM GE's for $400

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car runs fine. I will drive it like it is if she doesn't want it. I will drop by her house with it. No 7mGTE for this car-enough of them for a while...

3,796 Posts
Mike 92LX said:
No 7mGTE for this car-enough of them for a while...
Ha......understandable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts