Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Drifter 4 Life!
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i'm going to be doing a turbo swap in a few months and i'm aware of all the stuff i need to buy in order to make the swap work. one question i have that hasnt been answered is do i need to put in a turbo trans or can i use the stock na? any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,347 Posts
Depends, the stock N/A one will work (as in it will bolt up fine, etc, etc), but it's not as strong as the Turbo one.

What are your power goals?

·
can't spell shazam w/o it
315 Posts
Well, whatever they are, make sure you get a new clutch! The stock clutch will not last long at all, you were throwing around 188lb/ft of torque before, now you're throwin well over 250. I, personally, got a Spec Stage 3, originally got 4, but I was told it wouldn't be very streetable. And don't forge to resurface the flywheel.

With that said, make sure your tranny isn't worn out or just tired. It might be a worthwhile to build it up, or even just grab Turbo tranny.

EDIT: i'm an idiot, i didn't read your sig, you already have a clutch.

·
Drifter 4 Life!
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i've been running this trans for almost two years now (since i bought the car) and i'm not currently having any issues. my power goals i'm setting somewhat high because i'm going to buy the motor first then start buying upgrades and when i have all the stuff i want just have the motor built at a shop and just drop it in. i want around 350hp - 450hp. like i said i'm setting my goals high and i know its going to take a few months to aquire all the right parts and electronics and stuff.

·
Registered
658 Posts
If you put in the Turbo Tranny then you will have no worries.....on the other hand, if your NA tranny is ok then you should be alright for a while.

Also, (and Jeff please correct me if I am wrong)....if you change to the Turbo Tranny, you should also swap out your rear diff because of the gear ratios......is that right?

PS....

When I do my Turbo swap, Im leaving the w58 in so I get my stupid 86.5 gear ratios! Yay! 120 kph and 4000(ish) rpm.

David

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,347 Posts
The W58 and R154 have very similar gear ratios. If you want turbo-like gear ratios the rear end is what needs to be changed out, the transmission won't do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts