Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Car guy
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what people's opinion is on swapping N/A's to turbo? It seems as though 6-speed cars with original paint, mileage under 100k, etc. is getting harder and harder to find.

If someone does a swap like Stu Hagen did recently with a '98 hardtop to full on 2jzgte, 6-speed, with all original Toyota parts is this car sought after or will people only want the original 6-speed.

Seems to me if done right the only thing difference is the title will be N/A. All Supra's have been going up in value. Diamond motorsport is asking 30's for clean clean N/A's.

Lets say I found a super low mileage '98 Supra N/A that is all original paint, all vins, perfect in every way then swapped to 6-speed, 2jzgte. What would be the difference in price compared to an original low mileage 6-speed if I had to sell it?

·
Car guy
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been thinking more on this and it seems people won't have an option but to start using clean N/A's and swap to turbo.

Each week I will go through the cars for sale and wanted and it blows my mind how many wtb threads there are.

So my question is why don't I see swapped N/A cars for sale?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been thinking more on this and it seems people won't have an option but to start using clean N/A's and swap to turbo.

Each week I will go through the cars for sale and wanted and it blows my mind how many wtb threads there are.

The answer is because most people who did the swap with quality parts will never get their money back on a sale, even with today's prices. I'm in the middle of an N/A to TT project myself and I fully understand that I will either keep the car forever or sell it and take a big loss.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think you don't see the swapped N/A's for sale because of the amount of money invested in the swap, you would never recoup half of it back. I have a 95 N/A Auto that's is currently in the process of being swapped along with the transmission to a 6 spd and diff. This is a major project with allot of time and effort involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
The engine isn't the only difference also. The brakes are different is one thing and its possible that the springs and shocks might be different too. To me a true total na-tt swap is engine,trans,diff, and front and rear subframes. Gets spendy quick.

·
Car guy
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The engine isn't the only difference also. The brakes are different is one thing and its possible that the springs and shocks might be different too. To me a true total na-tt swap is engine,trans,diff, and front and rear subframes. Gets spendy quick.
The subframes are the same, in the rear you have to add a bushing to install the auto tt or 6-speed rear end. Shocks and springs aren't really a big deal since most people go with coilovers or lowering springs/strut combo.

I did the swap on my '95 hardtop, only because back in about 2006 I couldn't find a tt hardtop, I probably should have waited but I'm not planning to sell so whatever. You are right to be a full swap its a lot of parts, the only saving grace for me at the time was I picked up a full 2jzgte/6-speed clip/6-speed rear end for $5500. Now they are 10-15k so I can see why it doesn't make sense unless you want a '98 hardtop or actually any hardtop as they are much more rare here in the U.S.

·
Champagne Papi
5,694 Posts
I'm still on the fence in terms of what to do with my QS... except I intend to keep it auto.

·
Registered
106 Posts
For my build, I am going as close to TT as possible, meaning I already have TT brakes all around (the rears cost more than the fronts, like wat). And as someone above said its just easier/better to go with coilovers than worry about doing the suspension from NA to TT to OEM spec. The diff will be last and I'm still on the fence about it since my power goals are minuscule.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The answer is because most people who did the swap with quality parts will never get their money back on a sale, even with today's prices. I'm in the middle of an N/A to TT project myself and I fully understand that I will either keep the car forever or sell it and take a big loss.
Same. I've already done the swap on my car and bought EVERYTHING brand new from Toyota. I know I wouldn't see at this time what is reasonable to me so I have no plans on selling.

·
Registered
145 Posts
What if someone just wanted to swap a NA to a turbo but keep their existing trans? Is it not as simple as a GTE head swap (with internals, cams ect), intake, injectors, computer and odds and ends?

·
Registered
356 Posts
What if someone just wanted to swap a NA to a turbo but keep their existing trans? Is it not as simple as a GTE head swap (with internals, cams ect), intake, injectors, computer and odds and ends?
W58 will shatter and the stock NA auto won't enjoy the extra power and won't live for long either. For the price of a vvti aristo swap (1800) the cheapest swap is to do an auto trans and aristo engine. Then you also have all the benefits of vvti

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mine's an auto and I plan to keep it. I just want a fun 500hp random day car. I already have my "Toy", a 1990 300zx with Twin 61mm turbos, fully built motor that will make around 900+. So my Supra I want to keep the auto with a stronger rebuild. Could I just buy the Aristo motor? Or go with swapping the GTE head on my existing bottom and along with intake, injectors and yada yada...?

·
Car guy
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to point out a few things I don't thing everyone knows about the n/a. If you have a '93-'97 n/a the stock bottom end is super strong.

I bent a rod on my turbo motor so I swapped the n/a '95 bottom end back into my HT and have been running this setup for a couple years.

I used my turbo head and a stock tt headgasket and its been really solid so far. My best time is 10.5 at 135 with a stock ge bottom end.

Something else I found out is the '98 vvti n/a has really small rods compared to the rod's '93-'97. I haven't actually pushed the '98 rods so I have no info if they really suck but they are tiny compared to the older stuff.

I'm sure with decent engine management the vvti n/a stuff is ok to 500 rwhp but I'm just guessing at this point.

·
Toyota Lover
1,432 Posts

They pop up from time to time... Prices all over the board...

In my case, I bought an NA/auto hardtop for the chassis alone even though it was a running and driving car when I bought it... I kept the original NA engine and did a turbo setup and swapped all the 6 speed components (6 speed rear end, axles, driveshaft, transmission, mount, etc) and do not regret it one bit... I do have a good bit of money in the car but it was bone stock when I got it and I know the quality of parts installed... I've had 2 very serious offers on my car both of which I turned down only because I did not plan on selling this car unless I could not afford to keep it... I know that I would regret it and then to build another to my standards would take a lot of time and money AGAIN (and we all know, it's hard to get away from this chassis)...

I hope that down the road it will still be worth what I have been offered recently, but I have a feeling it will only be worth a good amount to those who have seen the car in person and have seen the progression of the car... I always see what people say on here about NA-T cars or NA to TT swapped cars and that they aren't worth much, but I really think it depends on the buyer and also the condition of the actual car in question... IMO condition trumps all but then again I am as picky as it gets when it comes to a cars condition...

·
Car guy
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
You can use your existing N/A bottom end and swap to the turbo head w/turbo headgasket. This is assuming your car is '93-"97, the '98 N/A is vvti and has the weak rods.

You just need to find a turbo head, auto turbo transmisson, turbo wiring harness, turbo 550 injectors, single turbo.

You will need to plumb in the turbo feed to the pan or get a turbo oil pan. All of this is all plug and play, so yes you can use your existing N/A bottom end no reason to build it unless going aboev 800.

The N/A stock transmission will not support 500 rwhp, it will need to be built, just find a turbo tranny.

Any other questions fire away, I've done lots of swaps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am in the process of swapping a 95 N/A to a 3.4L fully built motor by titan... it was originally an auto that was converted to a 5 speed by the former owner but we have since changed to a brand new v160 (tunnel was replaced) and replaced the entire drive train. The reason I choose to buy an N/A was to be able to strip the car down to its shell and rebuild the car from scratch so I understand everything about the car. As everyone before stated, I will most likely not recoup the $$ I put into the car but I don't plan on selling it either...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts