Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone swapped out a 2JZ-GE to a 2JZ-GTE? I have the opportunity to purchase a badly rolled over but fairly low mileage TT 6spd with a good (tested) drivetrain and fuel system (most of the interior, body, 3 of the rims and rear suspension are toast. . .the front brakes might be able to be salvaged.) I was considering purchasing it and a N/A Supra and swapping all the TT components into the N/A.

In short, how similar are the engine blocks and tranny mounting points. . .in short will this be a straight over engine swap or will there be some fabrication involved. Is the rest of the N/A identical to the TT as far as bolt locations and body reinforcements?

Is the clutch master cyliner assembly the same on the N/A and Turbo? Differential dimensions/bolt pattern? Wiring locations (I know that I'd need to swap out wiring harnesses.) Gauges? Cooling system? Brake lines? Fuel Lines?

Doing the swap myself would be no problem. I've done several engine and transmission transplants before but have never worked on a Toyota. (Chevy 350 into Datsun 280Z, Nissan 3.0L Turbo into Datsun 240Z, and Datsun 2.8L Turbo into 240Z. . .yes, I was a Nissan man but that's soon to change!) I'd just like to see what I'm getting myself into before starting ;)

G

·
0 Posts
www.powerhouseracing.com does the 2jzge/2jzgte engine swaps, you can email them and check out their advice? however, they charge about $10,500 for them to swap the engines, so i don't know if they'd give out any tips :p

·
Pro Formula Mazda Driver
82 Posts
N/A Turbo swap

I just completed this task and it's not for the light-hearted or small checkbook. Email me and we can chat. [email protected]

Cheers,

·
Pro Formula Mazda Driver
82 Posts
NA Swap

Couldn't tell you how much just the NA swap would be. The problem is that you have to change many parts- and I changed much more while I was at it.

I bought the following

6-spd tranny (you'll need a lot more than this) $1500
driveshaft $200
Axles $150 for both
Turbo F/R calipers $500 for all
Turbo engine ($1800 Jap spec)
ECU 850 with harness
Wire Harness
Rear carrier (differential) $500
Greddy T-78 kit $2950
Greddy 4-row $2000
HKS cams $1400
UR pulley kit $300
HKS Cam gears $300
PHR Stage 2 fuel system $2800
AVC-R $400
VPC $1100
Turbo Timer
EVC EZ
Arizona Clutch
RPS pressure plate
RMM Downpipe
TRD exhaust
TRD rear transmission mount
TRD swaybars

Just to list a few- there are so many little parts that are needed. I've spent at least $2k with Jeff at Jay Marks just to get the parts that no one ever told me about. Yeh, there are alot of people that say they can do this- but I am sure they haven't because I've caught them with so many parts they left out!

Cheers!

E

·
0 Posts
So it looks like in addition to the 2JZ-GTE/tranny swap, you also did a single-turbo kit at the same time??

Hats off to you man. Is it finished yet?

Oh, and how long have you been working on it so far?

·
Pro Formula Mazda Driver
82 Posts
Nice wheels!

I've been collecting parts for the past year and finally got the courage to pull the NA engine out a couple of weeks ago after I collected all the parts I wanted to install on the turbo engine before I installed that- makes everything so much easier.

Now I have to just wire all the computers together and she'll be ready for the track!

I owe a great deal to Chris at http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com on helping me save a ton of cash on new parts!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts