Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please don't bite my head off for this one. I was wondering if it is possible and for what expense can you convert a N/A engine to a Turbo (single or twin)? Has anyone done this? How involved is the process? I know this applies to more than just Supra's but the bulk of my experience on cars comes from work on muscle cars from the 60's and 70's. I have been shopping Supra's for a while now (yes all the standard places) and am really interested (yes I now sounds like everyone else). I have found what appears to be really good deals on N/A Supra's. Is it that hard to perform the conversion? That expensive that it's not worth it.

Thanks for the help....

Ben

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Toyomoto does N/A to turbo conversions. If you're looking for BPU or BPU+ hp levels, I'd suggest the Toyomoto kit... SoundPerformance can make a kit as well. As long as you don't need 700rwhp, this is a good option. If you're going for huge power, the TT is the only way to go as the NA drivetrain is no good above 400-500rwhp. (small clutch, no LSD, weaker axles, etc.)

Parts for 425rwhp are around $7k to $10k depending on configuration. At intermediate power levels, the overall costs for TT v.s. NA come out pretty close to equal. For my investment ($11k for car, $8k in speed mods - around $21k total) I've never had any problems beating any local BPU Supras in either street, track or dyno areas.

As mentioned, the main drawbacks to the NA are the drivetrain, which will hinder off the line performance through a small clutch and open-diff... You can expect 2.1 - 2.3 60 ft times with this setup. The clutch won't slip when you want it to and will grip when you want it to slip. Either way, you're gonna spin tires badly. As far as the engine is concerned, I find that the NA with the turbo behaves better than a TT BPU... With the higher compression (10:1), it has much more grunt down low when the turbo isn't working, doesn't have the 1-2 turbo hesitation, and has a generally wider, smoother power band. The 10:1 limits boost pressure due to detonation, but the engine is more powerful without the turbo, so it ends up being a wash. 10:1 will also cause your turbo to spool faster.

As far as engine strength is concerned the 2JZGE is almost as sturdy as the GTE. Toyomoto has built many turbos around the GE with 600+ at the wheels.

The link in my signature has details of the turbo setup.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot. I am trying to find the most economical way to get into a Supra. I have some money coming in and would like to get back into a performance car. It sounds like you really found the ticket (11 for a car 8+ in mods). I want a 93.5 to 95, pref. manual, targa (would be nice, but not required), any color (veilside kit and paint later, as well as rims), in good condition, relatively low miles. Now another option has opened up to look at N/A's and aftermarket a single turbo. Thanks. Why don't more people do this? It seems like people avoid N/A's like the plague. If some of these people were truly into their cars, why do they seem afraid to work on them? They all seem to want the supercar by just bolting on about 3-4K worth of parts. Anyhow - thanks again.

Give me a heads up if you find anything that may meet my criteria (ha ha ha).

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Actually our turbo kit for the NAs is designed for those wanting HIGH HP levels..... Over 600. It is a stainless steel header just like the one for the TTs and also features the HKS GT wastegate. I can give you more info if you like.

Lar
SP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts