Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
N/A - TT How much was your cost for labor only for the swap. Please don't include prices for parts. Please do include (if known) how many hours the swap took and also, how much per hour was charged. At most, what was the final cost for labor alone?

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
$2500 for the GTE motorswap, $800 for the 6spd conversion. Labor only, Blacktrax in Milpitas, CA.

·
Filmmaker
2,719 Posts
I got the motor bpu+ parts and labor for 6100 Total, I dont know how much of that was labor but that was complete swap to usdm included as well.

Matt

·
Trev
1,516 Posts
DTSupra30 said:
I got the motor bpu+ parts and labor for 6100 Total, I dont know how much of that was labor but that was complete swap to usdm included as well.

Matt

Did not include the tranny then?

Trev

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think a better question would have been something like:

"How much did you guys spend on the swap, and have you had problems since the upgrade? Would you recommend the shop again? What exactly did you have done, was it OBDI or OBDII?"

I am considering the same options, so it would be nice to know more details. Our car is a 1995, and it's a fact that you never know what you are getting when you purchase a JDM motor until it arrives at your shop, I have even got JDM racing engines in the past by mistake of course!

·
Supra Ricer
345 Posts
DTSupra30 said:

Matt
that sounds VERY reasonable IMO

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
hay!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I did all my own work, took me 7 hrs to pull that motor out by myself.
the hardest part for me was taking the 4 bolts off the exhaust where it bolts up to the manifold, because of the angle. I spent about2hrs. on 4 bolts.
But the swap was pretty forward, nothing too hard at all, I also used a program
Called "Mitchell on Demand" I have it at my shop, it tells you step by step what to remove. I think It like 15 steps.
Buy me a ticket to FL. I will help you its freezin here in NJ
17degress!!!

·
Found E85 NOT in NJ!
5,252 Posts
I did all my own work, took me 7 hrs to pull that motor out by myself.
the hardest part for me was taking the 4 bolts off the exhaust where it bolts up to the manifold, because of the angle. I spent about2hrs. on 4 bolts.
But the swap was pretty forward, nothing too hard at all, I also used a program
Called "Mitchell on Demand" I have it at my shop, it tells you step by step what to remove. I think It like 15 steps.
Buy me a ticket to FL. I will help you its freezin here in NJ
17degress!!!
I used that program :lol: but I found the TSRM more useful and better illustriated

·
Lexotic Garage
1,470 Posts
I pulled my own motor in about 2hrs. and dropped in the GTE/V160 the next weekend. I did all the work myself at home i my spare time. It was a GREAT learning experience and I would never blindly hand over my car to any shop to do such an important job. knowing all the details of how everything fits and works together is priceless.

**** Assuming you have the resources, tools, time, DIY is the best route. ****

If not I woud assume about 8-10hrs of total work to do the blind drop in swap if you are just swapping motor and NOT a tranny. (wiring included)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts