Supra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Livin the Supra Lifestyle
2,023 Posts
AGlobalThreat said:

The coolant bypass trick also supposedly works very well, I'll be doing it when I get my car back, and it's very simple.
Hey can you give me a link to that mod?

·
Registered
376 Posts
waynis said:
Hey can you give me a link to that mod?
I can help... the two coolant lines running to the TB. Remove them from the TB and join them together. The purpose of the lines: are to warm the throttle plate (blade) in artic climents to prevent the TB from freezing shut. By removing the lines you don't heat up the TB. Wich kills any gains for a denser (colder) charge from a cold air intake set up.

Allan:cool:

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Allan"Defiant7M"Sterling said:
I can help... the two coolant lines running to the TB. Remove them from the TB and join them together. The purpose of the lines: are to warm the throttle plate (blade) in artic climents to prevent the TB from freezing shut. By removing the lines you don't heat up the TB. Wich kills any gains for a denser (colder) charge from a cold air intake set up.

That's not exactly right... u need to adjust it accordingly to your car temperature and driving conditions. You attach a 2k ohm potentiometer to the wires and route it to your interior. Here's the link: http://supras.com/04/resources/index.php?id=23

And for you lazy people: For the coolant sensor-there is a black and a (green or yellow) wire coming off of the coolant sensor-the one on the side of the thermostat housing. You will want to cut the y or g wire and add a 2K ohm potentiometer (linear, not logarithmic) in series. There are three prongs on the pot-use the middle one and one of the end ones. You can add the pot either near the sensor itself or if you have a wiring diagram, near the ecu (that's where mine is). i then mounted the pot in one of the coin holders next to the fog light switch. Turn the pot, with the engine warm until the engine idles up just a bit and that is it. Depending on how cold it is where you live you may not need the cold start injector anymore. I had a problem in California with cold starts being way rich and instead of turning the pot down when cold and then back up when hot I just disconnected the cold start injector and now the car starts and runs great, ice cold or warm. The coolant sensor trick also increases the timing slightly because what you are doing in effect is making the ecu "think" that the car is colder than it actually is and cooler cars need more fuel and advance.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Global threat, Allan was talking about a different mod all together. Have you tried adjusting the coolant sensor with the Pot? Did you notice a difference?

·
Registered
376 Posts
BadBoyToy said:
Global threat, Allan was talking about a different mod all together. Have you tried adjusting the coolant sensor with the Pot? Did you notice a difference?
Thanks.... As far as the temp sensor mod it works well. You will find yourself fooling with it all the time. Need to do some track runs or Dyno time to find your cars sweet spot.

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
something interesting to look into. Would be swapping the 2jz-ge intake manifold and TB onto your 7mge. The manifold, y-pipe, and ACIS valve is much larger. I can't say what the gains would be, but its a unique mod that is just beggin to be done. I would do it if i was still NA, just to see what would happen. here is a link w/ pics of the difference in size. good luck.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=227121

·
2,023 Posts
Is there a way we can make this work on our na's. I like the idea but have no clue how to make it work.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
I have not done the coolant trick yet, will do it when I get my car back.

BTW Allan u can just join the same 2 wires and it will do near the same thing? How could u need to adjust 2 wires touching?

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
i'm pretty sure that manifold would hurt performance. Those runners will affect your torque curve. I betcha playing with the ACIS system might have some rewarding results. ;)

·
Registered
376 Posts
AGlobalThreat said:
I have not done the coolant trick yet, will do it when I get my car back.

BTW Allan u can just join the same 2 wires and it will do near the same thing? How could u need to adjust 2 wires touching?
The mod I spoke of has to do with coolant hoses, just the two connected to the TB. The coolant temp sensor mod on the other hand is a different story. Since the potentiometer will interupt the signal coming from the sensor to the ecu.

Waynis like Jong said that intake would more than likely hurt our performance. Our runner length is on the critical side as far as making power or not. The 2JZ upper intake mod I'm doing will be interesting. Hey Jong ;)

·
2,023 Posts
Defiant.. are you going with some sort of throttle body mod? Bigger one? anything?

·
2,023 Posts
Yes the Q45 TB...

how do you make that work? is it bolt on?

·
Registered
376 Posts
waynis said:
how do you make that work? is it bolt on?
No, it's not a bolt on. A flange has too be made and welded to the 2J Y pipe to mate the Q45 TB to it. The old flange is cut off.. But nothing stops anybody from using the 2J TB and upper intake. I'm using this for it's high cfm flow rate to match the head work I've done. Plus all the other mods done too the engine. Short of going ITBs this is probably one off the best ways. Plus I keep the ACIS:)

Bypass the two hoses that go here http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1272364. Just join them together

·
2,023 Posts
No, it's not a bolt on. A flange has too be made and welded to the 2J Y pipe to mate the Q45 TB to it. The old flange is cut off.. But nothing stops anybody from using the 2J TB and upper intake. I'm using this for it's high cfm flow rate to match the head work I've done. Plus all the other mods done too the engine. Short of going ITBs this is probably one off the best ways. Plus I keep the ACIS:)

Bypass the two hoses that go here http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1272364. Just join them together

I'am not positive on what you mean. I saw this on ebay. A adaptor plate for the Q45. It looks like it will slip into the y piece and then you get it welded on???? Is this similiar to what your talking about? here's the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7963115580&category=33558&sspagename=WDVW

also thanks a lot for the photo of the coolant bypass. NOW i understand it. That's what I was looking for. I think global threat got confused. His mod was the coolant circuit mod I think. These are 2 different mods. Is the coolant circuit mod worth it. I know i'am already running pretty rich. WIll it make me run more rich?

·
slower than a turtle
1,096 Posts
so for the coolant bypass i just take those two hoses and connect them and not let them go through the throttle body?? will this cause problems with ideling or anything and what exactly is the benefit?? im a noob sorry

·
Registered
376 Posts
supraguru05 said:
so for the coolant bypass i just take those two hoses and connect them and not let them go through the throttle body?? will this cause problems with ideling or anything and what exactly is the benefit?? im a noob sorry
It will not cause any problems at all. Yes you just connect the two hoses together.

·
Registered
376 Posts
waynis said:
I'am not positive on what you mean. I saw this on ebay. A adaptor plate for the Q45. It looks like it will slip into the y piece and then you get it welded on???? Is this similiar to what your talking about? here's the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7963115580&category=33558&sspagename=WDVW

also thanks a lot for the photo of the coolant bypass. NOW i understand it. That's what I was looking for. I think global threat got confused. His mod was the coolant circuit mod I think. These are 2 different mods. Is the coolant circuit mod worth it. I know i'am already running pretty rich. WIll it make me run more rich?
You got it....also the coolant circuit mod can be adjusted so running rich isn't a big deal. I feel it's worth doing also

21 - 40 of 57 Posts