Supra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a bunch of searching. I am just looking for confirmation that the info I found is solid.

Stock ECU is good for about 15-16psi but once above that it will hit fuel cut.

Stock fuel system is good for about 450whp assuming a healthy pump, injector and regulator system.

Auto trans is good for about the same amount of power, if your nice to it and add a trans cooler or two it should hold fine.

Reason I ask...

I picked up a 93.5 auto w/ 79k on the odo last week. It is a basically stock car with an XSpower single turbo kit on it. Well, as luck would have it, the turbo blew on my 2nd drive :lol:

So I am going to swap in a 6765 and a new waste-gate. I was hoping I could keep the car otherwise stock for the next month as I want to take the car on a road-trip to "the dragon" ~ 2000 miles round trip. Am I asking for trouble? Will the ecu not be able to handle those add-ons?

Ultimately. I want to keep the exhaust manifold and intercooler (unless its as inefficient as some people say on this forum). Run 6765 w/ the billet wheel, BL "built" autotrans, proEFI128 ECU and SPs fuel system with 1200s (for E85 fun down the line).

At the end of the day, I would like 525 on 93, 650 on E85.

Thoughts? opinions? comments?

My background is ~ 15 years of Subaru tuning. I currently work for a Subaru speed shop and get enough of them at work, so I decided to finally pick up one of my dream-cars.

So after reading on the forums that people are throwing big turbos on these cars with little to no ECU modifications blows me away. Even a stock subaru needs ECU tweeking to stay together :lol:

Thanks for putting up with an old newbie :)

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Stock ecu hits cut around 14 psi. You'd need a boost cut controller to get past that if you just keep the stock ecu. Stock fuel system is said to support 500whp at most. I never pushed it. I think some have success with the stock ecu and maf at moderate power levels but i cant speak to that. If youre looking to gain some fueling control until you can afford a proefi, see if you can snag a map ecu or map ecu2 used in the for sale section. if you have or get a wideband, theyre pretty easy to tune.

I dont know the limits of the oem maf setup but i dont hear of people making big power unless using a piggy back or standalone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts