Supra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
*SNICKER SNICKER*
725 Posts
Our N/A engines need the MSD 6a (automatic) or MSD 6al (manual) along with the MSD 8910EIS tach adapter (this includes the 7M-GE, 1JZ-GE and 2JZ-GE), or any na-t swaps regarding these engines).

The 7M-GTE needs the MSD DIS-4 box, because it uses a wasted spark ignition with 3 coil packs, but won't work on the JZ-GTE engines. This upgrade requires the MSD 8913 distributorless tach adapter. (not sure if the tach mod will work with the MSD setup, never tried it, but it might).

The 1JZ-GTE and 2JZ-GTE, it seems the only ignition system that might be compatible is the MSD 7020. After looking at the installation instructions for the 7020, it appears like it just splices into the 6 IGT wires in between the factory ignitor and the coil packs so that it sees the trigger signal. I'd say call MSD technical support at (915) 855-7123 during normal business hours (mon-fri 8-5 mountain time). It also clearly states that no tach adapter is needed for this application.

Let me know what you find out, cuz I would consider putting one of those in my Supra if it works with our setups. I have the 6a setup on my Camry, and oh boy what a difference it made! :bowdown: I've had this for about 4 years now in a daily driver, and it makes noticibally more power when you need it (like about 25hp), and increased my gas mileage by 3mpg for highway crusing).

·
Premium Member
6,637 Posts
1jz dont really have ignition problems.. if you need a little boost in spark get the hks dli, its easier to install...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts