Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yeah I know this has been discussed numerous times, but why can't I find anything when I search?? I just bought a newly rebuilt head and being that I have 4 NA cams laying around I thought why not just do it. Is there any conclusive evidence that it improves performance? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mo

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Doc can you give me some information on this. Feel free to chime in any time :D

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is anyone using this setup??

3,796 Posts
It wasnt the doc that did it IIRC. Im surprised you didnt find anything when you searched....

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
ummm...search doods... "NA Cams"... lots of hits...proven fact...in pre-89 cars NA cams are beneficial.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I tried. Maybe I just messed up or something. It wasn't the Doc who did this, you were right. I just spoke to him and he said that it lowers the power band and hurts top end, but it improves low end.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
makenzie71 said:
ummm...search doods... "NA Cams"... lots of hits...proven fact...in pre-89 cars NA cams are beneficial.
yes and no......i think the bottom line ended up being they are beneficial TO A POINT.....a good early mod but anything past about 300-350hp and you are better off having the turbo exhaust cam in....

which by the way the only one different is the exhaust one...you dont need to change the other one... FYI

:D

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats awesome man. Thank you!

3,796 Posts
Mo87NA said:
I just spoke to him and he said that it lowers the power band and hurts top end, but it improves low end.
I could have sworn it moved the power band UP slightly less than 500rpm, sacrificing some low end torque for more horsepower. I could be wrong though. If I could only find that old link.....

·
Some Guy With A Supra
378 Posts
My friend Ti (Poi Dog) did the NA cam conversion on his 88T, and said he didn't like it and really didn't notice any power gains from driving it, so he put his GT cams back in. Just my .02

F

·
0 Posts
I just spoke to him and he said that it lowers the power band and hurts top end, but it improves low end.
It looked in that dyno like the NA cams had less low end power before spool, and then had more(but got consistently less) towards redline. What is it about the cams that make them help on lower Hp cars but hurt on higher horsepower cars? That doesnt make much sense to me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts