Supra Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo (7M-GTE) and I recently blew my head gasket, and Now my head is damaged. The camshafts are scratched where they touch the camshaft clamps and the inside of the clamps are scratched as well.

I am not very familiar with the theories and concepts of camshafts, but my mechanic said that the entire head needs to be replaced because the parts that are scratched need to be almost as smooth as glass to operate properly.

I have read that the camshafts from an NA Supra are actually an upgrade from the turbo cams. Is this true? If so, then why? I contacted a Certified Toyota mechanic and he says that the NA cams are not compatible and will mess up the timing of the turbo engine. Others claim that the NA cams are larger and will give me an increase in horsepower, but the turbo cams are cost about $200 more each than the NA cams. I can't imagine why smaller cams would cost so much more.

If the NA cams are indeed an upgrade to the turbo cams, what modifications (if any) will be needed in order for them to function properly?

Thank you very much for your time and your patience. I greatly appreciate any and all help that I can receive from the Supra masters at this board.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts