Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question people,
Assuming power is not an issue, theoretically what would a turbo NA motor with an NA tranny top out at...asuuming the motor has an 8000rpm redline? At what horspower level does an NA tranny start becoming unreliable??

·
Senior
1,481 Posts
N/a motors have a fuel cut @ 7.5k. N/a top speed is 146 @ redline with a 5 sp, 148 with the auto. 500 rwhp is about max for the 5 sp. Not using racing slicks-are you? Your n/a-T will redline before running out of power at 160 or so (my guess with the higer redline).

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
k...i guess...i am going to need a 6 speed then.... didnt think the NA would run out of gearing at such a low speed

·
Senior
1,481 Posts
You could use a 3:73 gear from an auto diff (turbo & n/a used them). This could be done when you switch to an lsd, which you'll want with all that turbo power! Not sure if mkiii 3:90 & other are a direct swap. BTW, we use 7" ring & pinion sets.

G

·
The NA auto will top out at 186 not 148 and the 5spd is limited to 155. I've been over the 148 mark in my NA auto.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my question was if the NA wasnt underpowered.... It doesnt make sense that an auto woluld top out at 186 and a 5 speed would top out at 155... My integra tops out at about 163-165

·
Supra Member
1,822 Posts
chidoks said:
k...i guess...i am going to need a 6 speed then.... didnt think the NA would run out of gearing at such a low speed
The 6spd will do nothing for you if you want top speed. You'll want the rear end intended for the 6spd though. 3.133 vs 4.27.

·
@turbolex.com
350 Posts
...i had my 5spd up to 153 the other day and i was at like 6200 rpms. it will do more if you go into the red...

·
Registered
342 Posts
what are the stock rear end gears for a na 5 speed? i heard someone say they were 4.10 are they really?

·
Over Medicated
2,720 Posts
Supradave69 said:
what are the stock rear end gears for a na 5 speed? i heard someone say they were 4.10 are they really?
93-96 were 4.27's, 97-98 were 4.10's I believe in the NA 5 speeds. 3.73's in the Autos.

Mine topped out at about 160-165 with it bouncing off the limiter in 5th. It's hard to get an accurate reading when your just making sure you don't lose it at that speed.:D

·
Over Medicated
2,720 Posts
If the auto and 5 speed were geared the same they would top out at the same mph wouldn't they? Or does the transmission gearing also play a role in top speed?

G

·
Transmission gearing also plays a role in this. You get your final drive gearing multipy 4.27 by your 4th gear (auto) or 5th gear (manual) drive ratio. So like us auto guys have a 3.28 final drive ratio (4.27 x .76).

Ryan

·
Supra Member
1,822 Posts
kbprice said:
If the auto and 5 speed were geared the same they would top out at the same mph wouldn't they? Or does the transmission gearing also play a role in top speed?
yes, tranny gearing has everything to do with it too. In this case, we're looking at the highest gear, the auto's 0.705 fourth gear vs the NA's 0.783 fifth gear. The auto has a slightly longer overdrive gear, so its top speed is higher, not considering power (or lack thereof).

I said earlier that switching from 5spd to 6spd will not help because the W58's fifth gear is almost the same ratio as the V160's 6th gear. 0.783 vs 0.793. The V160 actually has a shorter 6th gear. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.