Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Turbo Member
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't figure it out. My 1993.5 Na has truble from time to time. When driving it will idle down to 100-300 rmp and shake. Sometimes it will stall all together. If I can catch it and turn on the AC the rpm come up and it stops shaking. Again if I turn off the AC sometims it will fall back to the 300 and others it will stick around 1000. any Ideas????? Thanks for the Help.

G

·
0 Posts
Ive had the same problem with mine, it occurs randomley. Twice it has actually stalled the car. The first time it stalled the car, i reset the ECU and it neva happened again well for a few weeks/months then it did it the other day. There are a couple of things i suggest. first reset your ECU, u can do this by pulling the EFI fuses out for a few mins (located in the fuse box in the engine bay), then restart your car and let it idle for a min then take it for a gentle drive around the block. Check all the hoses on your intake, look for cracks or holes etc. Check around your MAF for leaks. And the last thing i can recommend i only found out about the other day when i was talking wif my mechanic and i told him how dirty my thottle body was on the inside (i had removed all the plastic intake piping to clean it and i peared into the thottlebody and there was shit everywhere) he said thats because i live in a dusty place and have a POD it lets more stuff in and gets stuck to the intake piping and thottle body. He then said the 1st sign of this happening is usally the car having problems idling. I havent had the intake cleaned out yet but its worth a look in your thottle body. easy to do just loosen one hose clamp and your in.

Let me know how u get on.

Ohhh thats rite a guy on another supra forum had the same problem and he found out it was a faulty speed sensor, so even when he was not moving the car thought he was and vice versa. He also mention he had checked his Thottle postion sensor and that was screwy to so he changed it but it didnt fix the problem. U could also wind your idle up to 1000rpm or sumthing that should stop it til u get it fixed, just turn the screw on the top of your thottle body to the desire RPM.

Cheers

G

·
0 Posts
umm there is a tiny screw next to the throttle plate that hits the throttle, turn it so you idel higher. Kinda hard to explain if u look at the thottle body and pull the accelerator cable u will see how the whole thing works

cheers

·
Wingless Hardtop Moderator
3,090 Posts
Yeam im wondering the same thing? at warm idle (around 600 rpms) car tends to ... shake i guess you could say... kind of annoying.. wouldnt mind bringing it up a little.

·
Registered
730 Posts
occasionally my idle drops to about 550...still smooth and quiet
sometimes though it will drop a little lower causing this camming like shake...when this happens usually i lightly rev the engine to about 1000 rpm and hold it there to avoid the idle
id like to avoid this altogether
its usually smooth at ~700-800 Does anyone know what causes it to lower? Its never a sudden drop, but a gradual one at a light or in traffic. Will raising the idle fix this?

·
Wingless Hardtop Moderator
3,090 Posts
Yeah.. exactly what I want to do.. bout to go out and do some trial and error to fix this annoying problem.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i've tried reseting the ECU before and that help for a while and then it started happening every now and then again. I'm pretty sure its got somthing to do with the pod filter i put in because it only started happening after i put that in. Maybe the sensor isnt connected properly or somthing. I dont know. I think just take it to the mechanic and see if he can work it out.

·
Registered
405 Posts
How about just doing a tune up

When was the last time you replaced the plugs, wires etc.. Sometimes thats all it needs

·
Registered
68 Posts
PROBLEM FIXED

i went to the mechanic today and i had the same problem you guys did. my car would shake when im at a stop or when the car was put in park. The car would not die but it would shake. i changed the spark plug and went with the Platinum 2 and the problem was still there. My mechanic said that i need the spark plugg from the dealer (NGK) and he said to change it. THE PROBLEM WAS FIXED AND THE CAR IDLE NORMALLY NOW !!!!!!

NOTE: he also said he ran a dianostic check and he said that my Mass air Flow meter is going bad and itcould be the problem but the car seems to run fine and idle like it was brand new.

I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU GUYS ALITTLE

~mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts