Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I have a 93 JDM NA Auto Supra and at the start of next year I want to go NA-T at ~400-450hp (daily driven). What I want to do is get a Ecumaster Emu Black, bigger injectors and a turbo kit + pipes and intercooler. The problem is that I want to keep the A340E gearbox and from all the threads I didn’t really understand anything. (Some people say that they hold the power, some say they don’t) Tbh I want to reinforce the gearbox just to be sure and I am looking for recommended kits (+radiator). Also my question is how well does the torque converter hold considering it’s smaller than the GTE one?
If I missed anything please advise.

Have a nice day.

EDIT: I am also planning in raising max RPM at ~7500-8000 when I am getting the ECU in.

·
From the land down under
4,217 Posts
Can you source an auto gearbox from the TT?

That would cope with your power goals a lot better than the one you have

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey mate,
Where I live I can’t find any and if I order one online, the shipping + taxes are so expensive that I’d get better getting a new gearbox like ATF and I don’t have the budged right now, that’s why I wanted to rebuild it. I saw some kits like level10 for under 1k

·
I turn my own wrenches!
5,201 Posts
I agree with Mr Ree NZ, you really should just get a TT transmission minimum to use as a core at ATF. The na automatic transmission will not hold the horsepower you're attempting to acquire. Building a na transmission I'm simply unaware of anyone who sells kits that would allow upgrades. If you know someone whom does and its only $1,000 to make your current transmission stout enough to support your goals that would be your cheapest option. By the time you by an ATF, torque convert and shipping/taxes you will be over $5,000.

No matter what option you decide to go, make sure you upgrade the cooling system for the transmission as heat is your worse enemy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's a high RPM limit for a stock motor...probably too high for it to manage. Any reason you want to run it all the way up to 8,000rpm?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From the discussions I’ve read the limit is 8000 RPM, after that there is valve float. I know there is gonna be more engine wear. The reason is to achieve higher top speed since with auto gearbox you really have 3 gears to “race”. The O/D from what I’ve read is a big no-no since it’s very fragile.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts