Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plugs were fouled from doing the install and trying to crank it over so many times... so I changed to 6067 NGK BKR7E gapped @ .035..car still breaks up even idling... under boost the car feels real jerky after installing the new plugs..from breaking up. i'm getting 0 knocks on the safc2

I am running the MK3 550 VPC chip but I am on 440cc injectors.. does that mean I will want to pull some fuel ?? I am borrowing a wideband from someone to check how the car is running before driving it much anywhere. any help will be appreciated

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,268 Posts
I haven't followed your build up close enough, but are you dynotuned yet?

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
no I just finished the install, ill get a wideband this week... I dont want to drive the car until its done right. I drove it last night just out of being happy and having the car back up but I didnt drive it hard at all... I changed plugs this morning, I did a search on here to see what to gap them at and someone mentioned .035 ... which is diff from what i heard from some of the other supra owners here, so now I have to take them back off and gap them at .028

So far my VPC settings are all at 12 oclock, SAFC is flat across the board.. no tuning as of yet. I am debating on getting the 440cc VPC chip to make it all easier for me. I am running straight wastegate boost which is a 10lbs spring.. but I am going to hook up my profec B and bring it down to 6 just so theres less chance of anything happening, especially @ this compression. I've only felt the boost for split seconds.. nothing drastic, but I am at the point where I dont want to mess up anything now that I am this far

The car starts up and sounds like it has a miss on the new plugs, when you press the gas it misses a bit then goes up like normal.... I am afraid to even stall it out while driving anywhere

·
Registered
295 Posts
kirkMKIV said:
I am running straight wastegate boost which is a 10lbs spring.. but I am going to hook up my profec B and bring it down to 6 just so theres less chance of anything happening, especially @ this compression.
I might be wrong but i thought you can't turn the boost lower than the wastegate spring. Let me kno cuz i swapped the spring on my stock compression NA-T and i am wondering if i needed to do this.

·
11,221 Posts
Hey I'm on 440cc injectors and "A" 550cc chip. Weather's bad right now. I wanna try to make some street tuning soon. The bov that I have now sucks, it leaks a lot so all I can boost is .3lbs :(

This bov wasn't meant to be open or whatever. I hope to pick up a new one and make it work. But if I richen +10% across the board, cruising is around 14:1. Under wot it's around 10:1, it has to be worked out.

But richening it 10% will get your car rolling.

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just regapped my plugs to .028 and it seems to idle alot better, but still misses a little if you give it gas... its still untuned though.. i am having someone come and tune the car for me this week on a wideband and we will see what happens then

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mfr122887 said:
I might be wrong but i thought you can't turn the boost lower than the wastegate spring. Let me kno cuz i swapped the spring on my stock compression NA-T and i am wondering if i needed to do this.
I think you are right

I am picking up my AEM wideband tomorrow, going to retard base timing to 8 so i could run 10psi and try to tune for 12:1 under boost... going to throw the car on the dyno and see if I could get the car to stop breaking up under idle/throttle

Anyone else run 550CC VPC chip on 440CC injectors?

·
11,221 Posts
kirkMKIV said:
Anyone else run 550CC VPC chip on 440CC injectors?

Untuned :( I'm still trying to get the low map set. It keeps going from 10:1 to 12:1 ro 15:1 with the same settings (+10). I dunno wtf to think. Anyways after you are done, please give me your settings so I can even get it to a running start.

I wanna make it to a show next weekend. I'm trying to street tune my shit with my Innovate Wideband, but I really dunno how to use this pos yet. I don't justify going to the dyno after buying my wideband :(

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
kirkMKIV said:
So far my VPC settings are all at 12 oclock, SAFC is flat across the board.. no tuning as of yet. I am debating on getting the 440cc VPC chip to make it all easier for me. I am running straight wastegate boost which is a 10lbs spring.. but I am going to hook up my profec B and bring it down to 6 just so theres less chance of anything happening, especially @ this compression. I've only felt the boost for split seconds.. nothing drastic, but I am at the point where I dont want to mess up anything now that I am this far

The car starts up and sounds like it has a miss on the new plugs, when you press the gas it misses a bit then goes up like normal.... I am afraid to even stall it out while driving anywhere
If you increase the air flow on your AFC around 25-30% across the board your car should run like normal. In fact you may want to adjust up until it starts running like crap and back off a little....that is if you have that much range in the AFC. Do this at idle and it should be easy, then set that % for each NE point HI and LO. I'd strongly advise you not build any boost until you have the WB O2 and start off RICH with your tuning. I know used GE engines are fairly cheap but do you really want to pull your perfectly good one out?..........wait till it's tuned before flooring it!

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
I'd strongly advise you not build any boost until you have the WB O2 and start off RICH with your tuning. I know used GE engines are fairly cheap but do you really want to pull your perfectly good one out?..........wait till it's tuned before flooring it!
amen

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kurt said:
If you increase the air flow on your AFC around 25-30% across the board your car should run like normal. In fact you may want to adjust up until it starts running like crap and back off a little....that is if you have that much range in the AFC. Do this at idle and it should be easy, then set that % for each NE point HI and LO. I'd strongly advise you not build any boost until you have the WB O2 and start off RICH with your tuning. I know used GE engines are fairly cheap but do you really want to pull your perfectly good one out?..........wait till it's tuned before flooring it!
Thanks for all your info man..

Here is the deal right now:

Tomorrow I am picking up a new cap/rotor for the distributor and an extra set of plugs, aswell as the AEM wideband and installing it. I have a guy coming in on Tuesday that tunes vpc/safc and hes going to be tuning my car on the street aswell help me out on the dyno when I go beg. of june. Any other pointers will be appreciated!

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took Kurt's advice and set the air flow on lo/hi rich at about 35-40% and it definately helped with the missing and the car is actually driveable under normal accelaration which is my goal right now, just making the car driveable until i get tuned to get on boost. I played with it a little while idling and going through the RPM's and finding some misses and richened up around those RPM's and it definately helps alot. I probably still wont drive the car on the road at all until this tuesday when the guy i have tuning the car comes.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
kirkMKIV said:
Took Kurt's advice and set the air flow on lo/hi rich at about 35-40% and it definately helped with the missing and the car is actually driveable under normal accelaration which is my goal right now, just making the car driveable until i get tuned to get on boost. I played with it a little while idling and going through the RPM's and finding some misses and richened up around those RPM's and it definately helps alot. I probably still wont drive the car on the road at all until this tuesday when the guy i have tuning the car comes.
Kirk, I'm glad I could help. I know what a pain it can be when things don't go right!

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks man

I installed the AEM wideband today and @ 35% it was way too rich... but I kept it there anyways since im not driving the car anyways until tomorrow when the tuner is going to set everything up for me.... It's alot harder than I thought when running VPC/SAFC combo....but hopefully tomorrow we could get her running good... so far the engine has no misses as stated on this first thread, thanks Kurt! One less thing to worry about in my head.. since I thought it could be something else bad with the car :)

·
11,221 Posts
kirkMKIV said:
Thanks man

I installed the AEM wideband today and @ 35% it was way too rich... but I kept it there anyways since im not driving the car anyways until tomorrow when the tuner is going to set everything up for me.... It's alot harder than I thought when running VPC/SAFC combo....but hopefully tomorrow we could get her running good... so far the engine has no misses as stated on this first thread, thanks Kurt! One less thing to worry about in my head.. since I thought it could be something else bad with the car :)

Hey can you mind please sharing your settings with me after you get it "professionally" tuned? I've tried tuning my car with my Innovate Wideband lately but it keeps getting rich as shit. I +10 across the board (hi and lo map). When cruising it's a good ~14:1 give or take a few moments.

But under wot, that shit's like 9.8:1 in some areas but mostly 10:1. No matter how much I lean out, it's still 10:1 :(

Would that be a sign of a bad chip or what? I don't think so because if it was a bad chip, I heard the car won't even start.

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,284 Posts
michaelvanle said:
Hey can you mind please sharing your settings with me after you get it "professionally" tuned? I've tried tuning my car with my Innovate Wideband lately but it keeps getting rich as shit. I +10 across the board (hi and lo map). When cruising it's a good ~14:1 give or take a few moments.

But under wot, that shit's like 9.8:1 in some areas but mostly 10:1. No matter how much I lean out, it's still 10:1 :(

Would that be a sign of a bad chip or what? I don't think so because if it was a bad chip, I heard the car won't even start.

wouldn't + 10 be adding fuel? If you want to lean it out you have to go negative percentages up top...

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hes not tuning his VPC at all which is why its probably doing that, hes 12oclock across the board on the VPC and just tuning with the safc

·
11,221 Posts
BlackSupra93 said:
wouldn't + 10 be adding fuel? If you want to lean it out you have to go negative percentages up top...
I dunno, it's all the same. Even when I lean out -15% across the whole hi map (75% throttle), the fricken a/f is the same. I'm not sure wtf is going on, but it seems like the SAFC ain't doing shit.

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,284 Posts
michaelvanle said:
I dunno, it's all the same. Even when I lean out -15% across the whole hi map (75% throttle), the fricken a/f is the same. I'm not sure wtf is going on, but it seems like the SAFC ain't doing shit.
You're in South Jersey?

I'm near phillly. Maybe we could meet up sometime and I'll take a look at it. Not that I'll have any better luck than you, as I'm still NA, but I've looked into things pretty thoroughly. Shoot me a PM sometime. Im usually only available on weekends for now though. Id say you need to get you're base map tuned correctly before the HI map will start working. Are you on just the SAFC or VPC also, i forget.

Shoot me a pm sometime

Later,
Bob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts