Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1995 rhd Supra
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m looking at putting a turbo on my na Supra it’s a 1995 model. I was just wondering what it really cost to do it right and was hoping a few of y’all could help me out. Thanks!

·
From the land down under
4,736 Posts
Hi, I’m looking at putting a turbo on my na Supra it’s a 1995 model. I was just wondering what it really cost to do it right and was hoping a few of y’all could help me out. Thanks!
The first thing I would suggest is to head to the NA sub forum on here, and read lots of the NA-T threads in there, as there are so many bits of helpful info that you will need to digest before you take on a project like this.

Its fun, but can be frustrating if you dont do a lot of homework first.

What are you plans? Power goals? Transmission type? Will you be doing the mechanical work, or paying someone else? This will help to establish some kind of rough budget, before jumping in head first

·
Registered
1995 rhd Supra
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The first thing I would suggest is to head to the NA sub forum on here, and read lots of the NA-T threads in there, as there are so many bits of helpful info that you will need to digest before you take on a project like this.

Its fun, but can be frustrating if you dont do a lot of homework first.

What are you plans? Power goals? Transmission type? Will you be doing the mechanical work, or paying someone else? This will help to establish some kind of rough budget, before jumping in head first
Just trying to make about 400 right now so I can still use the stock trans. I don’t want to spend anymore thank 10k and I’ll be doing it by myself along with a mechanic I know. I’ll definently check out the na-t forum thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good luck with your project.

Like Mr Ree NZ mentioned above, starting out with specific and detailed build goal will clear up the true requirements for your build.

As a project manager, 80% of project success is based on proper goal setting (Mr Ree NZ is establishing), requirements gathering (NA sub forum), resource (labor, money, time, etc.) budgeting, and discovery (“deep dive” fact finding once a baseline understanding of the NA-T nuances are established) exercises.

The better handle you have on these preparation steps, the easier it will be for you or an experienced builder to create a resource (time, money, labor) efficient project plan.

With all that being said, if your mechanic friend doesn’t specialize in Supra platform projects for a living, I’d heavily recommend allocating a project “contingency fund” for any mid-project oversights or unknown issues that may present themselves. This contingency isn’t a slush fund for elective upgrades (that should be a different fund), this is purely for keeping the core project goals intact without failing to finish (giving up) or severely delaying the project for funding limitations.

If your build goal is to stay at 400whp on a w58 (assuming it can reliably hold it, I don’t know much about this trans strength), then scope your goals to that and only that.

If this 400whp goal is a stepping stone towards a longer term goal (600+ whp, street/track/drag/etc build), then think twice about your approach to select parts that can be used in both the short and long term build goals. This might be very hard to do while keeping cost under control, TraumaB is alluding to this.

I personally am with TraumaB, do once and don’t look back. But regardless of what your ultimate goal is, measure twice or as many times as needed, and cut once. You save so much time, money, and stress in the long run.

If I had to throw a dart, 10k doesn’t sound too far off for a turbo kit, exhaust, engine peripherals (tt gasket, coil packs, etc.), non-standalone engine control, and a proper tune. This doesn’t account for trans, clutch, rear diff/lsd, wheels, suspension components, tires, etc.

·
Registered
1995 rhd Supra
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Like Mr Ree NZ mentioned above, starting out with specific and detailed build goal will clear up the true requirements for your build.

As a project manager, 80% of project success is based on proper goal setting (Mr Ree NZ is establishing), requirements gathering (NA sub forum), resource (labor, money, time, etc.) budgeting, and discovery (“deep dive” fact finding once a baseline understanding of the NA-T nuances are established) exercises.

The better handle you have on these preparation steps, the easier it will be for you or an experienced builder to create a resource (time, money, labor) efficient project plan.

With all that being said, if your mechanic friend doesn’t specialize in Supra platform projects for a living, I’d heavily recommend allocating a project “contingency fund” for any mid-project oversights or unknown issues that may present themselves. This contingency isn’t a slush fund for elective upgrades (that should be a different fund), this is purely for keeping the core project goals intact without failing to finish (giving up) or severely delaying the project for funding limitations.

If your build goal is to stay at 400whp on a w58 (assuming it can reliably hold it, I don’t know much about this trans strength), then scope your goals to that and only that.

If this 400whp goal is a stepping stone towards a longer term goal (600+ whp, street/track/drag/etc build), then think twice about your approach to select parts that can be used in both the short and long term build goals. This might be very hard to do while keeping cost under control, TraumaB is alluding to this.

I personally am with TraumaB, do once and don’t look back. But regardless of what your ultimate goal is, measure twice or as many times as needed, and cut once. You save so much time, money, and stress in the long run.

If I had to throw a dart, 10k doesn’t sound too far off for a turbo kit, exhaust, engine peripherals (tt gasket, coil packs, etc.), non-standalone engine control, and a proper tune. This doesn’t account for trans, clutch, rear diff/lsd, wheels, suspension components, tires, etc.
From everything I’ve read the 5 speed can handle 450 reliably so the plan was to make about 400 to stay on the safe side and later down the road id change the trans and get it to make around 600 but I definently want to get parts that I could use later down the road, I definently want to do it right

·
Registered
1995 rhd Supra
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

To do it right? I would try to budget around 10k. That's not including your weak drivetrain. You have a 5 speed or auto?
5 speed

·
Registered
518 Posts
My suggestions, stop worrying about HP and just use the money on a T56 Grannas swap or a Getrag swap. W58's reliability go out the window once you leave stock numbers, you will be on borrowed time. I'm not trying to sound like a dick, I have spent 20k+ making a proper swap and it sucks but worrying about my car breaking is another type of suck. My enjoyment goes out the window when I have to start worrying about a malfunctioning car much less all the idiotic drivers we encounter stacked on top of reliability issues, fuck worrying about it and do it right. Regardless the transmission swap will be one of the most vital upgrades for future HP gains. I wish you the best and really hope it works out for you, however fuck this car it's a royal pain in my ass and it certainly was not worth the many pennies I spent on my journey.

·
Registered
1995 rhd Supra
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My suggestions, stop worrying about HP and just use the money on a T56 Grannas swap or a Getrag swap. W58's reliability go out the window once you leave stock numbers, you will be on borrowed time. I'm not trying to sound like a dick, I have spent 20k+ making a proper swap and it sucks but worrying about my car breaking is another type of suck. My enjoyment goes out the window when I have to start worrying about a malfunctioning car much less all the idiotic drivers we encounter stacked on top of reliability issues, fuck worrying about it and do it right. Regardless the transmission swap will be one of the most vital upgrades for future HP gains. I wish you the best and really hope it works out for you, however fuck this car it's a royal pain in my ass and it certainly was not worth the many pennies I spent on my journey.
Thanks man

·
Registered
26 Posts
To reframe a possible scenario that TraumaB is painting: Imagine finishing your 400whp phase one goal, and the W58 (or clutch) that should hold 450whp, doesn’t.

You’ll eventually be back to the drawing board (car out of commission) evaluating transmission options. You can possibly roll the dice and replace it with another W58 and pray it holds, or look into the T56, V160/161, R154, CD009, or the ZF trans people were using a while back.

If you opt for another W58, and it fails again, back to the same spot. If you’re looking into one of the other trans swaps, the 10k budget estimate becomes 15k and well beyond for a T56 or V160/161. The budget rabbit hole goes deeper depending on matching the diff with the trans gear ratios.

I don’t want to be pessimistic here, but the mental preparation here will prevent the stress and surprise if your project backfires. Ultimately, there’s definitely a chance you get to 400whp and the transmission holds. Although, if you are adamant about doing it right, people will point out the W58 immediately.

If you do go through with this, my recommendation is to have the provisional funds to afford a T56, V160/161, or CD009 without hesitation should your W58 fail, or budget the swap with your initial build. R154 might work for the first build, but will be the same issue as the W58, but at 600whp levels and are getting too expensive to justify (like a V160/161 for non-collector grade cars).

Good luck. Read and learn as much as you can about others’ successes and failures with their builds, the cheapest knowledge you’ll get.

Reactions: Mr Ree NZ

·
From the land down under
4,736 Posts
Sage words that most of us at some point in our car lives would have ignored, to a lesser or greater degree...I know I certainly did hahaha

Do it once, do it right, will always be cheaper in the long run :)

·
Registered
89 Turbo - 2JZGE-T VVti (build/swap in progress)
352 Posts
I say FUCK IT, run your w58 'til she blows and go from there. Just set aside some money for your inevitable tranny swap and enjoy your car while the w58 is still kickin'

1 - 14 of 14 Posts