56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah i was wondering how many people that has done
the NA-T conversion has went with a headgasket instead
of pistons and why?

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
The stock block/piston's are good for something like 650rwhp anything past that i would upgrade the piston's for reliablity but then again i doubt your car will be seeing high boost all the time so you will be fine . I have seen some na-t member's make more hp then 800hp at the motor on the stock block but who knows how long ther motor's are going to last Mostly everyone who goes na-t just swap's out the headgasket as its alot cheaper and does the same job basically as new piston's of lowering the compression.. The lower compression the higher the boost you can run

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey man thanks. i believe i am going headgasket to
cause like you said my car aint going to see high boost
all the time.

·
DaveH disciple
368 Posts
2mm HG for my setup....Anyway, all NA-T guys will probably tell u to do this instead of pistons.... It depends of your goal man, ur engine mileage too.....

JB

·
Flame Thrower
961 Posts
Its just cheaper and easier! The ONLY difference between the NA and TT blocks is lower compression pistons and oil squirters. So if you switch to low compression pistons, you damn near have a TT block. Ive been told by several top companies like BL that the NA block is good for almost 900 hp which is right around the same as a TT. The crank and rods are the same as TT. I say save the headache and just do the HG cuz EVERY kit making high hp does.

·
Banned
466 Posts
with my setup all i did was replace teh head gasket 2.5mm once i pass teh 900 Hp mark then ill look into pistons but as supra 404 mentioned our blocks are good for a significant amout of HP

·
Registered
1997 Black Hardtop Supra
643 Posts
I have 3mm hg on my na-t .. Go hg!

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
2 stacked stock tt gaskets here.

If you're going to break apart the motor and you have a little extra dough then go for the stock or built TT pistons. It all depends on what you want and what your ultimate goal is.

If all you're doing is slapping on a turbo and your compression is good (check it before you tear down, obviously) and you're not planning on more than 700 HP then just get a thicker head gasket. Granted you may pull more than 700 HP out of your stock NA block, but if you're going for big big power then you might as well spend the extra couple hundred and build it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts