Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many of you guys have or recommend getting the head/block machined before putting a 2mm headgasket on? and are ARP studs a must or what?

·
I rock like CRACK
1,010 Posts
Not really any need to machine. The block "should" be straight and from what I was told by toyota techs you just need to block the head with sandpaper. They told me that there is very little extra material on the head so getting it milled isn't an option.

Also, get the studs. You already have it apart might as well do it right the first time.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I agree with sssupra, I recommend getting the arp head studs
and do things right the first time around. Being cheap and cutting corners will eventually come back to haunt you.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so even though its a metal headgasket the 2jz head is perfect enough without milling?

any blown head gaskets on NA-Ts recorded yet?

i guess what im really wondering is if DaveH's car is a fluke or if it really is normal for turbo'ed 2jz-ges to be able to run gobs of boost + nitrous (past the 600 rwhp mark) with the only internal mods being studs and a thick HG..

thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
i got my valves done, i got a 4 angle exhaust valve job, and a 3 angle turbo intake valve job done. It was fairly cheap and my head is like brand new. I just figured that while it was off i might as well do it. I also have the ARP head studs going into it.

To answer your Q yes 2jzge can hold gobs of boost with the stock internals and a thick headgasket and studs. Dave's car is not a fluke.

Kevin

·
I rock like CRACK
1,010 Posts
Daves car is NOT a fluke, the head is not always perfect but you don't have much to play with, if it has never been severly overheated, chances are it should be straight. Pay attention to the directions on the studs, (because of the expansion rate of aluminum, torque #'s are less than standard).

As far as it handling power, I have complete faith in mine.;)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my concern was the thicker HG having adverse effects on the combustion chamber/quench area and leading to detonation

·
I rock like CRACK
1,010 Posts
No, A thicker HG lowers the CR which decreases the chances of detonation when boosted.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
SSSUPRA said:
No, A thicker HG lowers the CR which decreases the chances of detonation when boosted.
SSS... close but no cigar. Sure the lower C/R reduces the chance of detonation, but *proper* piston squish helps, too. Unfortunately, raising the squish above 0.060" (Toyco spec) all but elminates the effect of proper squish. Adding a thicker hg basically blows away the squish effect.

-scott

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Just FYI guys, I've re-used my MHG 3 times now, and never surfaced the head or block. Sealed flawlessly everytime.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what brand/size, and what kind of fasteners?

thanks
Bill

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
LOL!! Yeah, I spent $450 on that damn Toyomoto head gasket, so I'm getting my money;s worth out of it. :p Bill, I'm also using ARP head studs.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dave: i believe ive found the perfect motor for the mk3 transplant of mine we were talking about.. ill pm you with how much im paying so you can tell me what you think

·
Over Medicated
2,718 Posts
I'm with Dave on this one. I just removed my head and reused the Toyomoto head gasket after cleaning it thoroughly. Put the car on the dyno today after reinstalling everything at 18 psi and 471 rwhp no problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts