Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
'94 Na Slowpra
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i was just wondering for all of u NA-T guys, what is the amount of money you spent and how much HP? i just want to know about engine mods, not suspension or ground effects. i am currently considering 3 options.
1) stay NA, save my money, and just enjoy the car with basic bolt ons. This seems like the cheapest and realistic for me, i would just do the basic bolt ons and work the suspension just to make the car fun to drive and make it a fun canyon car.
2) NA-T, here im mainly worried about emissions because i am from california. This seems like the easiest, fastest and cheapest way to go fast. the motor i have is currently only 82k miles so i still have plenty of life. i am not lookin for a pure race car, something fun for daily driver, some light track and the abitily to smoke some decent machines out there. mainly lookin for about 500 whp or less.
any of u NA-T cali guys i would like to hear from u the most, i wanna know if u get hassled by police, how u pass smog, how u keep your boost a secret from police.
3)GTE swap. This is my dream as far as modding. if i get a reliable installer i am perfectly willing to save up and keep the car stock till i can do the conversion. i figure if the swap costs me 10 grand, i get a brand new 0 miles engine, i am smog legal, and basic bolt ons from there can give me some serious power. of course this would take a 21 year old years to save for but im sure the end result would be well worth it.

Well there is my delema, i know its long but some input from u veterans would really be appreciated, i cannot for the life of me decide what im going to do so some logical responses would make a world of difference. i am meanwhile gonna go look through the forums and get to know this wonderful new community.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
While I was NA-T I was constantly looking over my shoulder for the police, not enjoying my car. You live in California, if you don't want to deal with the fact that the police, state ref, and smog will eventually catch up with you, GTE swap. Better yet, sell your NA and buy a turbo. It will be cheaper in the long run. Do it soon while NA's are still worth something.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
Your Options:

1.Since your in California, and if you want to stay street legal with an NA. Your only options are Intake and Exhaust for engine mods. You can try and put in cams, headers, and a SAFC, but if you get caught, the fines will sink your bank. In addition, you have to go through the trouble of finding someone to smog your car. If you want to make a canyon runner your looking at the following costs for suspension work:

Coilovers: ~1,500 + $120 installation
R2 Control Arm Bushings ~ $500 + ~$400 installation (assuming the bushings are bad)
Strut Bar: $150
TRD LSD: ~$900 + ~300 installation
TT Front Brakes: ~$500 + $150 for pads
SS Lines: $120
Motul Brake Fluid: 50
Harness Bar/Floor Bar: ~$300 -$400
Seats: $200 – whatever makes you stay put.
TRD Sways: $200 - $400 (I can’t remember)
Do-Luck Floor Bars: $200
17” Rims & set of tires: $1,200 – $2,500
2nd cushion for rear differential: $ 65 (installation is killer, you should do it when you put on LSD)

2. I have an NA and pondered on going to NA-T. However, the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia is not an emission friendly state and fines are killer. All the money you spent will end up in fines and converting your NA back to stock. There are NA-T’s in California, but I find it hard to be in constant paranoia of emission nazi’s coming for you. If you can live with the constant fear of being caught and getting your bank sunk, this route is for you.

3. This is probably your best option: GTE. May not be as quick as tricked out singles, but at least if you get the Supra through the state ref you got a street legal car. However, if you don’t have a good paying job or have some boat load of cash stashed away, your Supra will never be in the condition or shape to run properly (let alone if you can even afford the turbo/insurance).

·
Registered
951 Posts
USMCSupra said:
While I was NA-T I was constantly looking over my shoulder for the police, not enjoying my car. You live in California, if you don't want to deal with the fact that the police, state ref, and smog will eventually catch up with you, GTE swap. Better yet, sell your NA and buy a turbo. It will be cheaper in the long run. Do it soon while NA's are still worth something.
know what you mean dude. very hard to just cruise and enjoy it :rolleyes:

wish there was a CARB turbo kit for us. I know PHR was working on one for the TT, but not sure if it will ever pass

·
Banned
865 Posts
I have an NA-T. Although I am sort of paranoid, if you do it right you wont worry too much.

ex.
Non-flashy paint
No body kit
Sprayed or black meshed intercooler
Front license plate
No tint

Just basically anything that a cop can't pull you over for in the first place.

·
'94 Na Slowpra
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
idrewfelix said:
I have an NA-T. Although I am sort of paranoid, if you do it right you wont worry too much.

ex.
Non-flashy paint
No body kit
Sprayed or black meshed intercooler
Front license plate
No tint

Just basically anything that a cop can't pull you over for in the first place.
i was thinkin the exact same thing, i was not plannin on doing any exterior mods like kits or tint, so i thought if i had black mesh over the front or a sprayed cooler and a quiet exhaust i woul dbe ok. But i still dont know...I know that Luxurymotors has a supercharger kit for the IS300 that they say would keep the car emissions legal, what do u guys think about that? i know it wont be near as much power as a turbo but at least it is reliable power.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
itsings said:
i was thinkin the exact same thing, i was not plannin on doing any exterior mods like kits or tint, so i thought if i had black mesh over the front or a sprayed cooler and a quiet exhaust i woul dbe ok. But i still dont know...I know that Luxurymotors has a supercharger kit for the IS300 that they say would keep the car emissions legal, what do u guys think about that? i know it wont be near as much power as a turbo but at least it is reliable power.
As long as you are willing to accept the consequences if you are caught, go for it. In other words, if you do get pulled over, make sure you have the time and money to pass inspection and pay the fines.

·
'94 Na Slowpra
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well has anyone had good luck so far? meaning have they had a turbo on long and have not gotten caught yet? i mean the only thing taht would probably draw the most attention is the BOV, cause ima keep the car stock on the exterior. correct me if im wrong...

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
itsings said:
well has anyone had good luck so far? meaning have they had a turbo on long and have not gotten caught yet? i mean the only thing taht would probably draw the most attention is the BOV, cause ima keep the car stock on the exterior. correct me if im wrong...
You will still have to deal with smog checks every two years, regardless. Honestly, praying that you won't get caught is a horrible mentality for going NA-T. That's pretty much the same as driving around without insurance hoping you won't get into an accident. You may never get caught. You might get stopped every week. The cop may be a cool guy... then again he may be a total asshole.

Again, if you are willing to take the risk and can afford the penalties, go for it... there are tons of people driving around who don't mind taking the chance.

·
miata owner...
1,367 Posts
bolt on a gte head on the ge bottom end! run stock twins, tt cps, tt ecu, ignitor, harness, coil packs, and call it a day

should be the same price as na-t

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
neostreamsupra said:
bolt on a gte head on the ge bottom end! run stock twins, tt cps, tt ecu, ignitor, harness, coil packs, and call it a day

should be the same price as na-t
Would the State Ref allow that? I would think they would be annal and want you ro have an authentic GTE bottom end?

·
'94 Na Slowpra
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FLZ_Boy said:
Would the State Ref allow that? I would think they would be annal and want you ro have an authentic GTE bottom end?
thats what i would have thought, do u know from experience if the gte head on the ge bottom would work ok? either case i wouldnt wanna do that with the mileage on the car, u know?

·
miata owner...
1,367 Posts
FLZ_Boy said:
They can't tell the difference between the ge and gte bottom end. they dont care since its a toyota bottom end anyways as long as you pass the roller(smog)

btw you dont need to take it to state ref if you do a tt swap

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
neostreamsupra said:
They can't tell the difference between the ge and gte bottom end. they dont care since its a toyota bottom end anyways as long as you pass the roller(smog)

btw you dont need to take it to state ref if you do a tt swap
Are you sure, I was under the impression somebody will have to inspect it though.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
NA-T is the way to go. Been there done that :)

GTE swap is possible for $7k out the door by one of the best shop in OC. Not sure you get the idea of 0 mile GTE motor. Not going to happen.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the negative with NA-T is the hassement from cops, not cheap when you get caught. The feeling of of getting pulled over in an NA-T is hard to describe. Scary stuff.

I was in constant fear everytime I drove my Supra, but it was fast and fun.

·
'94 Na Slowpra
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so what do u think? how clean of a GTE engine can i get? for 7k like u say i will definetly wait, i was thinkin it was like 10k. which shop are u talking about? im really interested now if the 7k ur talkin about is legit, im talkin full swap ecu, harnesses, the works.

·
'94 Na Slowpra
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ravan17 said:
been there, done that, well worth the money, im only 19 right now, 18 at the time of the conversion, so if u tellin me u cant get the money then u wrong, i busted my ass at chuck e chees's @6.50 an hour to get all my parts, AND IM LOVING EVERY SECOND OF HER :)
thats awsome man, very commendable, im sure it would be worth it for me as well. can u recommend a shop? did they do EVERYTHING for u? as in u drop it off then when u pick it up its perfect?

·
Banned
865 Posts
The great thing about an NA-T is the fact that a properly done high end NA-T is similar to an BPU++/APU Supra because of the components required to do a turbo conversion (ex. single turbo, fuel management, FMIC, etc).

As for the shops these are the ones I recommend:

Sarkais @ Dyno Xtreme
www.dynoxtreme.com
714-231-4299
Hes done countless installs and is VERY professional.

Steve @ SRMotorcars
818-919-4272
Lots of experience with the 2JZ as well. He has very competive prices, very friendly guy too.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts