Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Hardtopper
13,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for making another post, but I'll delete this so it doesnt clutter up the forums after I get some answers... but

I drilled the hole for the return, tapped both the holes on the sides... dumbass me didnt tap far back enough on one of them so the bolt wasnt going in all the way back.. it was off maybe by 5mm... so I went back to tap a little farther and the tap broke in 2.... so half of the tap is inside the hole. I spent my money on a bolt extraction kit and a bit.. and the bit does not cut through that tap that is stuck in there...

Here is what it looks like now:

Are there any ideas you guys would recommend.... without having to use both holes? Since there would be no pressure on that line I was thinking of using 1 bolt and the other side JB Weld... I dont know.. thats why I am posting this up.. for ideas. thanks guys....... I've been working on this all day trying to get that bolt out so I am frustrated.. I was done early this morning until that tap broke

·
BoostAddict4Life
2,012 Posts
i just tapped the big hole and threaded a double sided like big blue connecter in there and then threaded my oil return on to that.

·
TT This
917 Posts
Thats funny, I remember when that happened to me :) pissed me off beyond belief. I tried everything in the book to get it out and it didn't budge. I just drilled another hole right next to the original one in the block and tapped that one. You'll need to re drill a hole in the mounting flange as well. Then slop on a generous amount of copper sealant and bolt er on.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Taps are very hard, but are also fairly brittle. Try smacking it with a center punch and hammer and see if you can shatter it into pieces to get it out. Or, see of you can get a vice grips on it and back it out (fat chance).

·
Hardtopper
13,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whew atleast im not the only dumbass :) I should have not been lazy and just drove and gotten some 6/1.00/16mm bolts instead of the 20mm that i was trying.... now that im drunk and think about it... drilling a hole next to it will work. haha.. I guess I was just tired of looking at it ALL DAY... thanks man! Aslong as im not the only one out there it's worth trying. I even went out and got a damn MIG WELDER just to weld a nut to the end of it to back it out. :freak:

·
Hardtopper
13,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
got it.... maybe a little extreme but I drilled another hole right next to it.. it got a little close to the original hole so i helicoiled it and bam...ready to roll again. :D Fitting is on there tight as a rock..thanks guys for all your help

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
just make sure that is good and tight because when I went to attach my stock oil fitting on the pan I used bolts like you... but stock is a stud with a nut. Well torquing the bolt to the specified torque on the nut stripped the threads on the same tap you had problems with. I figured that since it carries no pressure that the bottom bolt would hold it. errrrr wrong... I had a leak for a couple months til I took it somewhere and had it fixed. I tried myself but there is not much space to work with unless you have a lot of tools and access to a lift - otherwise it's really uncomfortable.

once again, just make sure it's a good, tight fit.. you might even want to put some permatex on it as a gasket if you're not sure on how tight it is.

·
Hardtopper
13,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its on there REAL tight.. I even went back and tightened it a little more, trying not to over do it though.. I used some black silicone between the fitting and the block for extra assurance since I know the block/fitting wont be perfectly flat against each other..even the smallest imperfection will allow some oil to seep through.. I know the first time I crank the car over I am going to keep my eye on it before I can say it works. Thanks for the input man.

I have been working on my car and on a TT>Single at the same time... and damn is removing the TT setup a pain in the ASS. We got it all out though in about 4 hours of work.. working between the TT and the NA is keeping me really busy... I'll get used to looking dirty as hell for a few more weeks :lol:

·
Hardtopper
13,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is how it looks like now:

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
i hear ya man... i'm working on my own TT-> single as we speak. I've got the bumper off to install the FMIC on mine right now. I'm also going to be working on an NA to TT conversion just like mine w/ the whole TT head swap and all in may. I'll be dirty for some time as well :lol:

how are your motor mounts? when I went from NA to TT I had the perfect chance to change them out and I didn't.... then they turned out to be bad. Now that I've got the twins out of the way (did it all on my own with the engine in the car, can you believe it?!) I'm just going to lift the engine a bit and swap the motor mounts. It's loads easier if you've got it apart like this... you might want to check them out.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Glad it seemed to work out in the end for you. When I did it I was a bit afraid that I might end up eventually stripping out the treads since you can't really drill too deep so I ended just installing studs that way I could just us nuts to hold the fitting on. Not that I think I will be taking it off and on but just in case. Just a little FYI for anyone else doing this.

B.Kidd

·
Registered
511 Posts
take your time and...

kirkMKIV said:
Sorry for making another post, but I'll delete this so it doesnt clutter up the forums after I get some answers... but

I drilled the hole for the return, tapped both the holes on the sides... dumbass me didnt tap far back enough on one of them so the bolt wasnt going in all the way back.. it was off maybe by 5mm... so I went back to tap a little farther and the tap broke in 2.... so half of the tap is inside the hole. I spent my money on a bolt extraction kit and a bit.. and the bit does not cut through that tap that is stuck in there...

Here is what it looks like now:

Are there any ideas you guys would recommend.... without having to use both holes? Since there would be no pressure on that line I was thinking of using 1 bolt and the other side JB Weld... I dont know.. thats why I am posting this up.. for ideas. thanks guys....... I've been working on this all day trying to get that bolt out so I am frustrated.. I was done early this morning until that tap broke

take your time and use a tiny drill bit to drill it out.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
j0hnyboi said:
take your time and use a tiny drill bit to drill it out.
lol you're 2 weeks late

·
Hardtopper
13,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:lol: im onto bigger and better problems now! J/K :p

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
about time you get it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts