Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know, I know, and I'm sorry. But I spent the last 2 hours searching this site for the answers to these questions... I'm new here, but I know enough to be POSITIVE these questions have been asked over and over, but could someone PLEASE humor me just one time?

I've got a 1997 NA. I'm afraid its most likely got the vvt-i in it (I haven't gotten the car yet). If I'm going to build it it is going to be indestructible (see parts list below).

Keeping in mind that I want an ultimate goal of 650ish RWHP:

1.) Is it even worth it to build the VVT-i? No one seems to have anything good to say about those...

2.) Or should I buy a Non-vvt-i?

3.) What is required for a na-t build? Do I need a GTE head and aftermarket gasket?

Please check my parts list for the projected build below and tell me what I'm missing or don't need or whatever:

Cleaned, bored, honed, made generally nice and new

Forged Pistons

Ring kit

Connecting Rods with ARP Rod Bolts

ARP Head Studs

ARP Main Studs

ARP Crank Studs

Bearings

Ferrea Valves

Ferrea Dual Valve Springs

Ferrea Spring Seat Locators

Ferrea Titanium Retainers

Head Gasket

Some (most) of this may be overkill, but thats the beauty of a build. I can get it driving, then build and up power as I go! Plus I want to run 650rwhp reliably for a long long time and ya never know when I'll need crank up the boost to smoke a lambo or Paul Walker a Ferarri.

Sorry again if this is repeated, but I just couldn't find good answers and frankly... I was sick of looking!

Thank so much for the help that I know I'll get from this awesome reliable forum.

· WIPLSH / HWY KNG
514 Posts
No motor is indestructible.

vvti has weaker rods .

might want to look at having the head ported/ over sized valves.

You will want to lower the compression ratio. Most people do it with thicker headgasket. But if your going to be "building the motor" do it correctly with pistons.

if your going na-t check out clubna-t.com
A ton of info in there as well.

Good luck.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No motor is indestructible.

vvti has weaker rods .

might want to look at having the head ported/ over sized valves.

You will want to lower the compression ratio. Most people do it with thicker headgasket. But if your going to be "building the motor" do it correctly with pistons.

if your going na-t check out clubna-t.com
A ton of info in there as well.

Good luck.
Obviously indestructible was supposed to be exaggerated. When I'm pushing 600-800rwhp on a car built for 1000+ I'd say that I've got a decent safety zone.

Having the head done was part of the honing, boring, and made generally nice and new sections. I forgot to mention.

I have every intention of lowering compression to 8.5-9:1. As well as a thicker headgasket. I bet HKS makes a good one.

Thanks for the link, man. I'll hit it up.

· Banned
3,371 Posts
um first off this should be in the NA section.

secondly if its a 97 it does not have VVTI on 1998 NA supras came with VVTI.

to be honest VVTI is way better than a non VVTI.

everyone complains about the rods and blah blah.

but distributorless is the shit.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
um first off this should be in the NA section.

secondly if its a 97 it does not have VVTI on 1998 NA supras came with VVTI.

to be honest VVTI is way better than a non VVTI.

everyone complains about the rods and blah blah.

but distributorless is the shit.
First off: why? I'm talking about turboing a MKIV. If there was a NA-T forum that I missed then I agree its in the wrong forum, otherwise, I'm not sure how I fkd up.

Secondly: I thought the vvti came from 97+, my mistake. Thank you for correcting me. The problems I've heard of is not getting high enough octane fuel to keep knocking away. Someone just told me that on here the other day. Either way I can deal with it. My 350z has CVVT, I'm assuming it'd be about the same deal.

I wouldn't complain about the rods. But thats only because mine would have Forged Eagle Rods with ARP rod bolts.

If its VVT and I get knocking, then I guess I'll have to run meth inj. That'll fix it right?

· Banned
3,371 Posts
First off: why? I'm talking about turboing a MKIV. If there was a NA-T forum that I missed then I agree its in the wrong forum, otherwise, I'm not sure how I fkd up.

Secondly: I thought the vvti came from 97+, my mistake. Thank you for correcting me. The problems I've heard of is not getting high enough octane fuel to keep knocking away. Someone just told me that on here the other day. Either way I can deal with it. My 350z has CVVT, I'm assuming it'd be about the same deal.

I wouldn't complain about the rods. But thats only because mine would have Forged Eagle Rods with ARP rod bolts.

If its VVT and I get knocking, then I guess I'll have to run meth inj. That'll fix it right?
well since your new i excuse you. This sub forum is anyting relating with the supra TT models. the NA section is for anything that started out NA so if your going NA-T then you belong in the NA section.

If your doing a TT swap then you can be in both lol.

your talking about 650whp. Have you ever been in a high horsepowered car before? Im not trying to make fun of you but before i started my turbo conversion i was saying i wanted over 500whp not knowing what 300whp felt like. To tell you the truth 300whp is nothing to brag about but it sure is fun. now i change my mind and decided 500whp is way too much for streeting.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes I'm talking about 650rwhp. I am an experienced driver and My 350z I was talking about is 383rwhp SuperCharged. I helped a buddy (and by helped I mean I did it for him) build his 551awhp GSX eclipse. That is pretty monsterous. But its an eclipse so I'm waiting for something to break on that POS. It goes though.

So Don't worry the HP #s are not ill informed, drastic, or out of my driving capabilities. The Supra will basically be a show car and a show-OFF car. A little cruising on a nice night and maybe a trip or two down the 1/4 and other tracks.

It would sure be nice if anyone knew anything about this subject... Have I listed all I need or not? Know of any good kits that include it all??

· Registered
4,082 Posts
Ok since you are asking the TT forum, I will tell you what you should do.

Rip out the NA motor and drop in a GTE motor. Done. (If you have questions about your NA motor go ask in the NA section. Most people in here have GTE motors)

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well price is really not an issue, man. I have every intention of spending years building this car. Thats why its a project and its all for fun. I'll check out the sponsor forums and see what they've got for a build kit. Maybe I can get a good deal. You don't happen to know where I can get a good deal on a Getrag 6spd do ya? The only reason that I may still go GTE is that the Getrag costs as much as the engine anyway so I might as well it the GTE. Any issues at 650rwhp on the GTE w/ getrag? I've heard alot of 800-1000rwhp on stock internals... but that sounds like trouble to me.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok since you are asking the TT forum, I will tell you what you should do.

Rip out the NA motor and drop in a GTE motor. Done. (If you have questions about your NA motor go ask in the NA section. Most people in here have GTE motors)
Since this is such a big F-ing deal to everyone, and you're all gonna rag on me over something small over and over again, maybe the name on the forum should be changed so that newbies like me don't make this mistake. It currently reads:

"MKIV (1993-1998) (33 Viewing)
For general discussion about topics relating to the MKIV."

Maybe it should read:

"MKIV TT (1993-1998) (33 Viewing)
For general discussion about topics relating to the MKIV Twin Turbo."

The site maintenance people could always throw in a disclaimer like, "If your shit isn't turbocharged then stay the f*ck out, you slow NA newb."

hahahaha. Just a thought...

· Registered
3,366 Posts
Not to be a dick but there is a forum below this that says..." Naturally Aspirated (5 Viewing) For general discussion about topics relating to NA Supras." You are demanding answers to questions like, "It would sure be nice if anyone knew anything about this subject... Have I listed all I need or not? Know of any good kits that include it all??" If you went to the NA section you would have these questions answered by people who have done these swaps with knowledge on the topic. I wouldn't listen to most people here because they are biased to T/T swaps which is probably what you don't want to do. So check out the NA section get your questions answered and hope all goes well for you.

· Registered
2,390 Posts
97 was non vvt-i. 98 was first year of vvt-i and still had the beefier non vvt-i rods, as far as I know only the is300 versions of the vvt-i motors has the skinny rods. Im 99% sure than pre 2001 vvt-i motors have the same thick non vvt-i rods, while 2001+ 2jz' s came with that skinny pencil rod.

The GE motor is a very capable motor, and is 99% identical to the GTE hardware wise. higher dished pistons for compression, no oil squirters and its not machined for oil feed, also missing the crappy stock oil cooler, those are the only differences in the bottom half. With a GTE head gasket and proper fueling it will hold as much as the GTE. the major difference between the GE and GTE are the electronics. that's what truly sets them apart.

· 2JZA70
2,942 Posts
You may want to look into picking up a GTE/6 speed front clip and doing the complete swap. It will be much easier to source the turbo kits/ fuel system for the gte and they can support 650 rwhp easily without opening the engine.

· Registered
508 Posts
For someone doing a build like you are saying, you should honestly just do the full TT swap. Sure you can make lots of big power with the GE head, but its ugly and a pain to change the plugs. Then you'll be doing a "gte style" front facing intake manifold, so you can get rid of the na y runner intake going across the top of the head. And then when u do that it costs $$, and you'll definitally want a gte style intake manifold if you are going to show the car. Otherwise your engine bay will never have "the look" that is oh so bad ass... it'll just look like any other na-T sc300, gs300, or is300. it won't have that awesome supra engine bay look (GTE Head)

And vvti is a good thing, but don't worry about that tho sinve u don't have it.

And getrags are $$$, so u pretty much just have to suck it up, or get really lucky finding a deal. And the Getrag can safely reliably handle hmm around 1400whp last time I checked. The getrag won't break from "too much power".

Finally, keep in mind that most tuning shops have no problem tuning a car up to 700whp on the STOCK gte internals. There is nothing wrong with your block for making big power. You could just drop in a set of gte pisons and rods and then your blocks good to go. Lots of options like everyone said, if you wanna go na-t go to the na forum. Of just buy a front clip and start making the
Na-->TT transition. Expect to spend at least 15K

And I wrote this from my phone, so... That's why it might be choppy

· Registered
508 Posts
^^ last thing, it could easily cost less than that depending on how much work you do yourself etc. I just saw that u built a dsm.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^ last thing, it could easily cost less than that depending on how much work you do yourself etc. I just saw that u built a dsm.
Yeah... which happens to be the biggest PITA ever... at least his was. Every single thing was harder than it should've been.

I'll be doing all the work myself except the tuning and engine boring if I go that route.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.