Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Supraless member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered a hundred times, but I need a wise advice because my technical skills (one can have bad hands and still love cars, right?) are not good enough to judge by myself.
First, the car is a J-Spec 94 5-spd, around 40k miles, near stock. The car is used mainly on highways or mountain roads, where I like to drive it hard (no track, basically). It's a daily driver, so reliability is an issue. I want a sharp, responsive and balanced machine but I need grip, nice cornering ability, stopping power....and more engine juice. My plan is to upgrade the car gradually.
NA tuning was thought, but for cost and reliability reasons, NA-T seems the best way. I can't afford to have the car stopped for a long time.

So I was proposed this basic setup for 300hp, that could be upgraded even more in the future (fuel pump, injectors, exhaust, FMIC,...):

HKS GT2835S (actuator)
Boost 0.4-0.5 kg.cm2
Trust e-manage
Stock used TT SMIC
Exhaust manifold and DP
And all accessories (piping, gauges,....)

So my question is: Would the original head gasket handle this setup safely? Clutch could be upgraded anytime, so it's not an issue anyway, and at this level of power, the W58 would be ok, from what I've heard.
Please let me know what you think about that. I'm planning all this for a bit of time already.
Thanx

·
2JZ-GET Single
127 Posts
Yes, you can leave the stock HG on if you stay below 7psi but I think you should do it at the same time while you are at it. Believe me, you will be glad that you did. I run 7psi on my low setting and it is quick but 18psi is a push of a button away.

yeah, you will have to replace the clutch after a little while at 7psi.

·
SupraMadic
907 Posts
Heavyfoot- Isn't the hks GT2835 the twin turbo set up?? You should do the headgasket don't take the easy way out trust me :D

·
Supraless member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ChamPazn, it's a single turbine set-up...I wish it would be twin, but that's too much of an investment right now :) I've found someone who did something similar, but this one doesn't use an intercooler as I was proposed and it's not easily upgradable. It's in japanese, sorry, I can't get it completely myself :)

http://www.okucchi.com/customize/engine/bolt-on_turbo.htm

As for the HG, what would be the risk of running too much boost on a stock one?
It would blow up? It would make self-detonation in the chamber due to the high compresson ratio? I'm not trying to save on the HG :D , I just want to know what's the exact problem with it.

·
2JZ-GET Single
127 Posts
heavyfoot said:
As for the HG, what would be the risk of running too much boost on a stock one?
It would blow up? It would make self-detonation in the chamber due to the high compresson ratio? I'm not trying to save on the HG :D , I just want to know what's the exact problem with it.
I can answer you first hand with this one. I put the turbo kit on and loved it but 7lbs just wasnt enough... So I turned up the boost to about 13psi thinking that these motors could take it. I was wrong. I got about 7000 miles of fun before she blew.
After I put a new motor in it I installed a wide band O2 sensor and come to find out, I was running lean the whole time.

So basicly don't skip out on the important things just to make your car faster like I did.

On top of the stuff they say you need for a basic turbo, I say you need a head gasket to lower compression and some way of fuel tuning, ex. safcII or hks afr

Just a little first hand advice.

·
Supraless member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your advice /////BlackNa,

Changing the HG sounds wise then :biggrin: Then, my problem would be to choose the right thickness, I've seen 2, 2.5 and 3mm. Does someone knows about the pros and cons of each?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts