Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
95 SUPRA NA-T
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I have a 95 na-t with a PT-52 turbo, and i have been noticing lately that there is white smoke that is basically pouring out of the exhaust. It only happens when either i come to a stop or when im driving with a little throttle and then let off and get back on it. It's never happens when im on the throttle. I know its not coolant because it doesnt smell like coolant. It kinda smells like oil, and i have been losing oil more than ordinary. Any help would be great.

·
TT This
917 Posts
Check you I/C piping to see if there's any oil in them from the turbo. Or perhaps your valce seals are going...how many miles on her?

·
TT This
917 Posts
Well if your I/C piping is all clean of oil then that pretty much rules out the turbo. It may be coming from the head, i.e. Valve seals. easiest thing is to check the I/C piping and work your way to the head. 106,000 can be valve seal territory...

·
95 SUPRA NA-T
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it possible that it might be leaking out on the hot side of the turbo. Does oil burn white if its hot enough?

·
2JZ NA-T
5,412 Posts
well....i no this sounds wrong, but i have a 95 NA-t too, im ventin my blowoff to the atmo, so whenever i lift off or come to a stop my car starts runing rich for a sec, i get white smoke too, dont know why its white and not black. but......i duno, sounds weird...u only have smoke when u stop or lift......if anything i hope its ure turbo and not the stem seals man...good luck

·
Search
3,303 Posts
here are some pictures of the intake of the turbo... not sure if it means anything or not, but its definatly strange.

its really sludgy too, not very fluid

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
I think you need stem seals..... :rofl:

j/k

If you have no play in the shaft then you most likely have a blockage in your drain line. Verify that your oil drains into the upper pan and not the lower. If you have shaft play you need a new turbo, possibly even if you don't have play. Turbos have no seals per se, they just don't leak due to pressure differentials, a blockage on your drain line will force the oil to leave from places you're not used to seeing.

You're also going to need to clean your FMIC, piping, etc. Go buy lots of brake cleaner and start spraying.....

-M

·
Is it turbo??
755 Posts
it drains into the upper pan. i know this for a fact!!! he has a greddy type s bov and when it vents it makes a loud purge sound then the normal high pitch whistle sound that the type s normally makes. i wonder if the purge sound is actually compressor surge??? therefore killing the turbo..

the white smoke is not normal!! when i had the car it never did that ever, but since brad has the car it had progressively gotten worse.

·
Edge On The GE-T Epidemic
575 Posts
Full synthetic oil burns white , check your plugs they will show you whats going on in the combustion chamber , if your a/c is dieing on you and not blowing as hot or cold as it once did , and u hear a "waterfall" sound behind ur dash when u start your car cold that may indicate a leaking Headgasket. That would also cause a crap load of white smoke. Looking at the pics of the turbo id say its time either rebuild or check your drain line. GL

·
95 SUPRA NA-T
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just changed the plugs and they all had normal wear. One had a little bit of oil on the threads but there was none on the electrode or anything. I am going to check the oil drain line tonight.

·
95 SUPRA NA-T
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I havent checked the return line yet but i have noticed that its not smoking as bad anymore? The worst i saw it was a few days ago and it was smoking during normal driving, now i hardley saw any smoke the past two days. I dont get it.

·
Search
3,303 Posts
That's bizzare. I was going ot tell you the other day when you left for lunch it was smoking like a mother fucker... as you drove off it was almost bluring out the car... but i forgot like i always do :rolleyes:

maybe you're out of oil to smoke ;)

·
Over Medicated
2,724 Posts
Sound like a turbo going bad to me. Mine did the same thing you described. Sent it to have it rebuilt = no more smoking. :)

·
95 SUPRA NA-T
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I sent the turbo into precision turbo a few days ago. Im out of a car for about 2 weeks:( Thanks everybody for the help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts