Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
my car was appraised with a resale of mid 30K, replacement of $45-53k

I'm not saying anything about what it's worth, but that's the appraisal.... done by a very respected source in the tuner world.

I don't know what a singled fully done GTE/6Speed AEM controlled black on black hard top would pull on the market for real though.

M

·
2JZ NA-T
5,412 Posts
if u went by the bluebook value, ud get ure labor money back, lol, but since it is a supra, and if u were selling it, i would imagine that,or atleast if i were paying for a NA-TT supra, i would be more then willing to pay almost identical price of what the owner spent on the car plus the swap......thats just my opinion though.....

·
!black
4,622 Posts
98mkiv said:
my car was appraised with a resale of mid 30K, replacement of $45-53k

I'm not saying anything about what it's worth, but that's the appraisal.... done by a very respected source in the tuner world.

I don't know what a singled fully done GTE/6Speed AEM controlled black on black hard top would pull on the market for real though.

M

If your car apraised for that, and it's insured for that... then set that mofo on fire and never look back :lol:

45K replacement? :rofl:

·
Fan of Stock Twins
249 Posts
I would think the car would sell for about the same amount as a salvage title TT.
A true Supra purist would likely be discouraged by the inconsistent VIN.
A regular buyer would be suspect of the workmanship.

·
Sawblades Rock!!!
194 Posts
MadMaxx said:
If your car apraised for that, and it's insured for that... then set that mofo on fire and never look back :lol:

45K replacement? :rofl:
He could burn it and then buy a low mileage bone stock TT plus a nice NA.

·
Banned
624 Posts
ACEspiritu said:
I would think the car would sell for about the same amount as a salvage title TT.
considering the supra market is a modifyed car market
it wouldnt be frowned upon.

having a nice clean car with paperwork would satisfy most buyers

·
Fan of Stock Twins
249 Posts
supraswap said:
considering the supra market is a modifyed car market
it wouldnt be frowned upon.

having a nice clean car with paperwork would satisfy most buyers
The topic is not "would the TT swap be frowned upon", but rather "what value would be placed on a NA car that is converted to a TT?"

Would you pay the same amount for a nice clean factory TT & a nice clean NA->TT ?

·
Banned
1,280 Posts
ACEspiritu said:
uh.. ive seen salvage title tt's go for as low as $11,000... im quite sure his car would be worth at least 20k if it had a 6 speed swapped in it as well. and i mean at least. i saw a na-t 5 speed go for 28k last week on ebay with 110k miles.

·
Fan of Stock Twins
249 Posts
Xaero said:
uh.. ive seen salvage title tt's go for as low as $11,000... im quite sure his car would be worth at least 20k if it had a 6 speed swapped in it as well. and i mean at least. i saw a na-t 5 speed go for 28k last week on ebay with 110k miles.

1. By having seen a salvage title TT "go for as low as $11,000", you are trying to say that all salvage TTs go for about the same. Some salvage title TTs go for 20k also, which is the same price you say his car (NA -> TT) would at least be worth. This strengthens my earlier statement that the NA -> TT would sell for about the same amount as a salvage title TT. Maybe I should have chosen my words a bit more carefully and said, "the NA->TT would sell for about the same amount as SOME but not all salvage titled TTs."

2. A NA-T is not the same as a NA -> TT swap. Also, we cannot assume that just because the auction ended at 28k on ebay, that the car actually sold for that amount. But really, since this is an NA-T and not an NA-TT swap, we really shouldn't be debating this, since the topic of discussion is "what is the value of a NA -> TT swap?".

I am NOT saying that NA -> TT swaps make for worthless Supras.

I am, however, trying to say that either by price or sentiment, an NA -> TT swap would not be as valuable as a true TT to a purist-Supra-enthusiast or a very discriminating Supra shopper. "Valuable" does not always mean there has to be a dollar amount.

A good scenario to visualize my point:
If there were two identical Supras for sale at the same price (except one was a true TT and the other was an NA -> TT swap)...with the same color, mileage, mods, etc, etc, and you had to pick one to take home....which one would you pick?

·
Banned
1,280 Posts
ACEspiritu said:
1. By having seen a salvage title TT "go for as low as $11,000", you are trying to say that all salvage TTs go for about the same. Some salvage title TTs go for 20k also, which is the same price you say his car (NA -> TT) would at least be worth.
2. A NA-T is not the same as a NA -> TT swap. Also, we cannot assume that just because the auction ended at 28k on ebay, that the car actually sold for that amount.

I am NOT saying that NA -> TT swaps make for worthless Supras.
I am, however, trying to say that either by price or sentiment, an NA -> TT swap would not be as valuable as a true TT to a purist-Supra-enthusiast or a very discriminating Supra shopper.

If there were two identical Supras for sale at the same price (except one was a true TT and the other was an NA -> TT swap)...with the same color, mileage, mods, etc, etc, and you had to pick one to take home....which one would you pick?
yes, but what is the likelyhood of that scenario? not all slavage title supras sell for 11k, but you didn't exactly specify, its a very very broad range. na-t is not the same as na>tt, i'd assume na>tt to be more valuable.

the na-t that sold is located here:
http://offer.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=4647686071

i believe a car is worth as much as someone is willing to pay, not what someone may say about it, or what some book may say the value is. if we went by that tt supras would be selling for 14k all over the place

·
Fan of Stock Twins
249 Posts
Xaero said:
i believe a car is worth as much as someone is willing to pay, not what someone may say about it, or what some book may say the value is. if we went by that tt supras would be selling for 14k all over the place
I agree with you: A car is worth as much as someone is willing to pay.
You seem to support the idea that an NA->TT swap Supra is just as valuable as a factory TT.
For me, an NA->TT swap would not command a premium (price or sentiment) over a true TT.

Also, my hypothetical scenario had nothing to do with "book value", so I am not sure why you mention it. Nor was I intending for the realistic chance of this scenario occurring to be a topic of debate. I created the hypotethical scenario in order to illustrate a point about the meaning of "value" separate from a dollar amount; that a true TT would be more desirable than an NA->TT swap if all other things being equal.

·
Banned
1,280 Posts
ACEspiritu said:
I agree with you: A car is worth as much as someone is willing to pay.
You seem to support the idea that an NA->TT swap Supra is just as valuable as a factory TT.
For me, an NA->TT swap would not command a premium (price or sentiment) over a true TT.

Also, my hypothetical scenario had nothing to do with "book value", so I am not sure why you mention it. I created the hypotethical scenario in order to illustrate a point about the meaning of "value" without a dollar amount.
i see nothing wrong with paying as much as a true tt if everything has been swapped including rear end and breaks. of course i'd rather have a true tt, but i mean if its the same thing i wouldnt mind paying the full value, the only difference would be a few numbers etched on a piece of metal. i think if he waited for the right seller he could sell it for as much as a tt 6 speed, but if not im sure he can get at leasta good price for it, maybe 1-3k less thana true tt of the same stature, that is if hes looking for a quick sale.

edit:i dont wanna flood this post anymore than it already has been, ACEspiritu, i reread my post and i didnt mean for it to seem like i was arguing with you, was just shedding a little more light on my opinion for support of the post, an opinion post is nothing without opposing views. it all comes down to the seller, and the buyer. im in sales and marketing so i know all about presenting a product to the consumer and how much it'd be worth so, anyways.. theres my .02

·
Fan of Stock Twins
249 Posts
Xaero said:
i see nothing wrong with paying as much as a true tt if everything has been swapped including rear end and breaks. of course i'd rather have a true tt, but i mean if its the same thing i wouldnt mind paying the full value, the only difference would be a few numbers etched on a piece of metal. i think if he waited for the right seller he could sell it for as much as a tt 6 speed, but if not im sure he can get at leasta good price for it, maybe 1-3k less thana true tt of the same stature, that is if hes looking for a quick sale.
I respect your view & agree with your last sentence.

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
ACEspiritu said:
I'd personally go with the true TT without a moment's hesitation.

I'm a purist, but there are also other reasons that exist...
A couple off the top of my head:

1) As already mentioned, the VIN inconsistencies. This would confuse some potential buyers and deter some as well. It may raise an eyebrow or two while trying to explain how the full conversion is basically the same thing as a true factory TT. Uncertainty will send the buyer looking at his other options and unfortunately for the seller, this is where the price will make or break the sale.

2) It's not easy to trust someone's word when it comes to swaps/conversions/major work done on a car you're interested in buying (especially harder when it comes to sports cars that are worth a decent amount of change). Even if a 'reputable' shop (not everyone knows of all the 'reputable' shops out there) supposedly did the 'full conversion' making the NA into the TT, it's too easy for the shortcuts to have been taken, mistakes to occur, etc...People generally trust factory built cars over ones that have had major transplants done by "Bob" the famous mechanic (or anyone but the factory for that matter).

Just my 2 cents though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts