Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a project car, either NA or TT with the ultimate goal being a TT 6 speed. It hasn't been all that easy to find a clean title TT roller so now I'm thinking of looking at NA rollers also.

The differences between them without drivetrains as far as I have read are just transmission tunnel, brakes and spring rates.(All three of those being pretty minor)

If I was to ever have to sell it would having put money into an NA chassis be a total waste or would it be close to the same value as having done the work on a TT chassis?

·
SF Contributing Member
1,549 Posts
Depend on the buyer. Most people just like the fact knowing they bought/own a TT Supra. I personally don't care. As long as it's my liking, I buy it.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I bought a 97 tt 6 speed shell/roller and bought it because it was a theft recovery with no damage. Just missing parts.

Also I bought it to make a daily out of it so that was another deciding factor on top of which I didn't want any frame/body work other than paint.

·
97 HARD TOP
1,044 Posts
Yea it really doesn't matter if you know you're keeping the car forever... If you do plan on selling it in the future, the TT roller will probably be worth more.
yeah i disagree. a original TT supra drives just as good as a NA converted completley to a TT supra would drive. so why would they cost any different? and if someone decides not to buy it because of the vin number or for piece of mind or some other shit well thats just their loss, i personally wouldnt sell it for any less.

·
ex BPU'er
5,095 Posts
Yea it really doesn't matter if you know you're keeping the car forever... If you do plan on selling it in the future, the TT roller will probably be worth more.
yeah i disagree. a original TT supra drives just as good as a NA converted completley to a TT supra would drive. so why would they cost any different? and if someone decides not to buy it because of the vin number or for piece of mind or some other shit well thats just their loss, i personally wouldnt sell it for any less.
While you disagree with chopstickz, he has a valid point.

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
A very valid point.

Take a look at what real TT's sell for versus NA T cars.

Later, Steve

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
When one buys a Supra, we always have the good intention of keeping it forever .... thus , it doesnt really matter AS LONG AS you do the conversion/restoration/project RIGHT... When the unfortunate time comes that you have to sell it , as long as it was done right .. I don't see any reason why it won't sell well as an original TT... afterall you should have restored it to the specs of a TT....that is on the point of view of plain supra lovers like me ..... but for the businessman out there .. they are always after originality ... which is translated to more $$$ Benjamins .... but remember .. an original TT roller may be higher already in cost to start with ...

·
Registered
280 Posts
It may not be true with Supras, but old muscle cars seem to be worth more if you have the original parts on the car (especially engine), not so much transmission. Specifically the cars with Hemis in them.

In my opinion I would value an original TT 6-speed above all (ignoring hard top/t-tops) and it would need to have the matching vin.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
They would cost different for the same reason a '69 Camaro Z28 clone doesn't bring the money that a real, numbers-matching Z28 brings. The same reason a '72 Chevelle Malibu - no matter what is "done" to it - doesn't bring anywhere near the money an original '72 Chevelle SS brings.

All else being equal, a TT VIN will always bring more money. In the world of car traders, that's the way it is, that's the way it always has been, and that's the way it always will be.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
They would cost different for the same reason a '69 Camaro Z28 clone doesn't bring the money that a real, numbers-matching Z28 brings. The same reason a '72 Chevelle Malibu - no matter what is "done" to it - doesn't bring anywhere near the money an original '72 Chevelle SS brings.

All else being equal, a TT VIN will always bring more money. In the world of car traders, that's the way it is, that's the way it always has been, and that's the way it always will be.
Agreed. Which is primarily why I held out on buying an NA to save for a VIN'd TT. If I sell it, the buyer has a better chance of rx'ing a larger loan b'c it's KBB or Black Book is higher.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts