Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted for a long, long time and I haven't posted that much in general so I am fairly new to the board so... hello everyone!

I am thinking about getting an MKIII supra, but turbo's usually cost a bit more and I am willing to settle with an NA because they are dirt cheap around here.

I was thinking of just adding some nitrous to it and maybe just basic I/H/E & suspension mods to it to free up some hp and to breath better with the nitrous. I haven't heard or seen anyone doing this and I tried to search for something simular all over the internet and found nothing.

It's just gonna be a weekend/fun car and a little hobby where I don't want to spend too much into it, but want a decently fast car (mid 14 second or less in the 1/4 just as an example).

I had an 84 supra a while ago and loved the power and I love the MKIII styling and it has more hp as well.

Should I hold up and get a turbo model or just get the NA and add nitrous to it and settle for that? All opinions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
A NA supra should be able to handle Nitrous with probaly a AFPR and maybe a new fuel pump, but hell why play with Nitrous when ya can just save a few extra $$$ and get a turbo model :), Turbo is much more fun, but remember before you start "squeezing" make sure the engine is healthy, do a complete tune up, torque down the headgasket and change out the distributor, rotor, and spark plugs/wire, aight good luck with your choice man, aight peace :chicken:

BAS "Represent"

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Not that bad of an idea considering I was planing on doing the same thing when I got my na and lets just say that I am now saving to do a turbo swap. I even went as far as having my na completely rebuilt which set me back another 2200.00. There are a few that run n2o but they suggest a 60 shot and for me that would not be enough so my plan was to use 100 shot considering I have a fresh motor. Personally I would say save up for a turbo mk3.
Chase

·
Livin the Supra Lifestyle
2,023 Posts
yes its a good idea! why the hell not. its cheap too

·
wha huh?
952 Posts
turbo...n/a is slow pig, i know, i have one

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Supra_N2O said:
turbo...n/a is slow pig, i know, i have one
So you have an NA with NO2 (assuming from your user name)? What is your setup and is it really that slow on nitrous and how off?

I didn't think they were that slow and heavy, but I guess 3500lbs and 220 or so horsepower wouldn't get you anywhere fast.

·
wha huh?
952 Posts
technical9 said:
I didn't think they were that slow and heavy, but I guess 3500lbs and 220 or so horsepower wouldn't get you anywhere fast.
its not bad till you ride in a turbo...then you realize how truly slow your car is

no, i have an n/a and a turbo...turbo is listed in sig...but n/as are only 200 hp, not 220...and theyre slow, plus theres no more room for improvement after the n2o, once you get that, thats it, your stuck with weak power forever. and dont forget, a car with n2o is only faster when the bottle's full;)
p.s. about the username...at the time all the cool ones were taken...its all i could come up with last year

·
Registered
383 Posts
nitrous

first off, its N20 not no2. but anyways i have been spraying a 55 shot on my na for a few monthes now. no problems. i am upgrading my fuel pump and getting an afpr and header, new plugs and wires and everything checked up on and dyno tuned in prep for a 100 shot. right now i am confident i can beat a *lightly* modded turbo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ooops... guess dislexia is kicking in a little early this year :( . I guess I'll just hold out for a turbo, since that is what I always wanted anyways.

Thanks everyone. My decision is made! Are the headgaskets a problem on this gen supra compaired to the previous? Mine went out and that is why I got rid of it.

·
Livin the Supra Lifestyle
2,023 Posts
my na really isnt that slow. you talk about the na like it can t run a minivan. it has balls. especially for its wieght. i can take al lot of cars on the road in it.:scratch:

·
New Mexico Boost Frog
443 Posts
Save money

xxx #'s of boost equal how big your smile is. IMO

You gotta decide random power adder when you want it.

Or realialbe factory turbo'ed available any time you don't have to refill you tank its just forced air Turbo.

I would just save your money. You take a stock Turbo and spank just about any ricer out there. With N/A your going to have to wait while its in the shop or while you bottle is getting refilled for 200 bucks.

But still a good cheap fun idea none the less. The turbo is gonna have way more potential.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
my speculation is that if the engine can hold 700 hp on the turbo, it should be able to hold 700 on nitrous. If you got a big (~3") exhaust, intake, headers, Im sure you could support a lot of nitrous b4 you melted stuff. Upgrade fuel pump, port polish, grind valves, AFC... I see no reason why you couldnt get a crap load of power. All the turbo provides is more oxidizing agent, oxygen, by increasing the air density. Nitrous provides more oxidizing agent by increasing it's concentration, and decreasing temperature, further increasing density. Add the right amount of fuel, and I see no reason you couldnt get as much power from nitrous as turbo. Then again, spraying that much nitrous is gonna cost you!

·
Registered
293 Posts
N/A + N20 can be plenty of fun. I'm sure all that need changing is the headgasket for good measure if that. I'd just get the supporting mods and a fuel pump if your going over a 75 shot. I'm sure a N20 Supra can easily hang if not beat a mildly modded Turbo. Good luck either way you'll have a MK3. :)

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
ive had both and NA and a turbo.. the only thing i can see as being a praw w/ N2O is that it adds more problems and the NA is quick as is. I'd say jsut get a turbo car right off the bat and stick w/ that. might be a little more but its easier to hop up and easier to deal with than a NA N2O car. just my 02

1 - 16 of 16 Posts